Is Scott Ian really a mind-blowing guitarist?

RINGFINGER

Feb 11, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
I go to tons of guitar websites and they say that Scott Ian is an amazing guitarist. But is he really that good? I sometimes think his riffs are pretty basic, but that does'nt mean riffs have to be difficult to play to be brilliant, just look at "Walk". But Scott Ian apparently hasn't put much effort into Anthrax's most recent works such as Stomp 442 and Vol.8. I heard that all the guitar riffs came from Charlie practising in his basement. I this true?

That said, Charlie is oh so talented, he's not Eddie van Halen but he can write some pretty awesome songs all by himself. And his drumming . WHOA!!!!

GO Charlie , Go.

Having read what Scott's said about the last couple album's, Charlie came up with the music aspect of the band, with input from Scott, and Scott came up with the lyrics. I think that's how it goes within the band.

Volume 8 shredded though!

Vol8. good but rather basic in terms of the way the riffs went. I'm not saying that I would like Anthrax to try their hand at being Dream Theatre but they should throw in some bass and guitar lines that'll make peoples mouths drop every now and again.

I'm guessing it depends on what they want to accomplish. With Volume 8 there was a direct SOD influence, short simple and to the point. Different to SOWN which is a great album. Hopefully the new one should be a mixture of both, well that's what I'd like anyway!

Yeah that would be a good mixture. Unfortunately I haven't heard much of the old Anthrax stuff so I'm not sure which two albums to really mix up. But I do have the Live: The Island Years album. Does anyone have that CD and what do all you folks think of it????

I've got that...just to continue my posting spree.....and i think its pretty cool, of course its another Island cash in, and it coincides with the video that's around somewhere.

The quality is pretty good and its along the same lines as the Mosher's CD.

Charlie has written 95% of the muzak since Spreading, Frankie and Scott may throw in a melody line here or a hook there, but Chaz is the primary writer. Scott and John split the duties on lyric writing, as opposed to Blowadonna, who contributed ZERO lyrics. I agree that ANTHRAX's body of work has lacked much *complexity* of late, but I think that Charlie's goal on Stomp and Vol. 8 was to just write big, fat, groovy, chunky riffs. Somewhere along the line Charlie got back into Zeppelin and then into the classic rock stuff like Boston, Aerosmith (before they sucked) and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and it shows on the last coupla records. I think this "groovecore" version of Anthrax is great though. To me, they sound like a more polished version of Pantera.

I just wish Scot would put in more effort int the Anthrax material, he could help a lot. It's not fucking fair that Charlie does all the work. Just look at the credits for Vol8 he's done so much for that record. Charlie enjoys writing songs and doing what he does but come on Scott could lend a hand once in a while. And yes Scott is an average guitarist in some ways. That's another thing, if he's the guitarist why didn't he write some of his own killer riffs.

Once again, GO CHARLIE GO!!!

Scott Ian may not write so much but take a look at his right hand. His shredding is sooo fast and accurate, it´s like chainsaw. To quote Danny Lunatic: "His rythm playing is awesome, only Malcolm Young is in his league."

He's pretty fast and accurate but not that fast. You should check out Dino Cazares for speed and accuracy, now that'll blow you away. Fear Factory are a shitty band but they guy can play rhythm. But he's useless at melody though.

Originally posted by matter
He's pretty fast and accurate but not that fast. You should check out Dino Cazares for speed and accuracy, now that'll blow you away. Fear Factory are a shitty band but they guy can play rhythm. But he's useless at melody though.

Try John Schaffer of Iced Earth fame for amazing fucking accuracy and speed. For example listen to Angel's Holocaust and listen to the riff about half way through. Fuckin ungodly! :headbang:

Music: Charlie
Lyrics: John and Scott
Melody Lines: Frank, John, and Charlie

1.) Scott has a heavy fucking picking hand. He literally looks like a jackhammer or a tattoo gun hitting the strings. As for solos, that's him on "Cowboy Song." I'm not sure if he soloed on "Watching You" as well.

2.) Charlie writes some of the meanest riffs EVER. Scott does contribute to arrangement ideas and nuances, but DON'T think for a minute that he dumps it on Charlie. That's just how it works out. Believe me, Scott's just as dedicated to the band and writing a good song as anyone else. That's why the publishing says ANTHRAX, not their individual names.... its a collaborative effort.

Enjoy the holidays everyone.

Have you seen Fear Factory do self bias resistor on Headbanger's Ball live in '95. There's a good enough reason to not like FF!!
Oh, and MADTHRAX are you always this mad??? If so, piss off we don't need your rudeness here. jus wanted to know what other people thought about Scott's playing, so do you hate jimbobhickville for being honest about Scott as a guitarist??
What the hell's the matter with you?? Cool it bro.

Originally posted by matter
Have you seen Fear Factory do self bias resistor on Headbanger's Ball live in '95. There's a good enough reason to not like FF!!
Oh, and MADTHRAX are you always this mad??? If so, piss off we don't need your rudeness here. jus wanted to know what other people thought about Scott's playing, so do you hate jimbobhickville for being honest about Scott as a guitarist??
What the hell's the matter with you?? Cool it bro.

don't make me separate you two.