Chasing them live drum tones.

:worship:
Man that drum sound gives me chills, bloody amazing! :kickass:
Nothing beats real drums when you know what you're doing, and it seems you have the gift. I would easily buy an album only to hear those drums. :)

Thanks Menthal!

To the room mic question - I use an M-Audio Sputnik to capture the room ambiance and a lot of it also comes from my Russian Oktava K012 overheads.

I'm starting to experiment with moving the kit around the room to see how it effects everything. Most happy with it set up facing longways in the room with 2/3rds of the room in front of the kit. I'm going to try a few angled setups and see what happens when I have some more free time.

Yeah, those are the ones (mine are black, haha \m/)

That Serpents clip is all live, except for the kick which is layered 75% sample, 25% live. Thanks man, that's exactly the sound I strive for.

Mine are black to ;) but I use them to mic ride & splash/bell and use a pair of AKG 214 for OH´s, maybe I could give them a try as a main OH´s
I see to miced the snare almost pararel to the drum head I´ve neved tried that, I always end up placing my i5 pointing down to the drum head....

I'd love to get a pair of 414s one day. I usually aim the i5 at the center of the snare, in about an inch, and elevated about an inch and a half.

Me too, that´s why I picked those cheap version of the 414´s (no enough cash)
I´d like to see what snare processing you used on that serpents clip, escecially EQ/Comp if possible...(I´ve never had a 100% usable snare without layering with samples...)
Cheers for the tips!

Thanks Seth :)

Acappa, my EQ and compression varies a ton from band to band and snare to snare. By far the most important piece in my snare chain is a good snare with brand new heads (top and bottom) and tuned by someone who can tune a snare drum.