Still Remains - drum recording sound check.

RandomAwesome

Nov 17, 2009
http://soundcloud.com/randomawesome/still-remains-drum-test-01

All live drums, no samples, no layering, no artificial reverb.

custom maple Truth kit (22", 12", 16", 14" 20pl maple snare)

Kick = D6 & sm57 on the front head
Snare = i5 top, sm58 bottom
Toms = D2 rack, D4 floor
Overheads = Russian Oktava K012s
Room = Sputnik
Ride = sm7b

We tracked 2 songs today and everything is sounding beastly! I'll post a video of the tracking once I have permission from the band.

sounds good bra!

Sounds like maybe the room mic is a tad loud though. LOVE the snare.

Just 2 songs for now. The band isn't sure if an EP or full-length is the next step, but they are for sure recording it here once they figure it out :)

COT DAMN that snare and kick. What head was used on them? I will say the toms aren't that great though, Emperor heads?

Cacoph0ny, they broke up a couple of years ago but got back together for a one-off show for the Haste The Day farewell show. Playing that show got them interested in doing the band again. The lineup right now is the same from the Of Love & Lunacy album.

All the heads were Remo. For the snare.. I forgot, but it had the power center thing, and Emperors for the toms. I'm an EC2 kinda guy when it comes to toms but I wanted to give the Emperors a shot. A little volume boost and some EQ and those toms will sound enormous :) Kick was a Powerstroke 2 or 3, can't remember.

I track all of my drums in my 2 car garage. I think it's like 21' wide x 26' long and 11' high. I'll post some pics here in a bit.

The only processing to the clip is a bit of EQ and a bit of compression. Don't worry Tom, I won't ruin it with samples ;) d6 inside, sm57 outside (on the kick drum resonant head, the way you would mic a snare)