Serpents - live drums in studio w/video (layered kick)

RandomAwesome

Nov 17, 2009

Hey guys,

Here's a video of one of the songs we did recently. Everything is live, no samples or layering on anything besides the kick. guitar is just pre-pro.

Oktava 012s for L&R overheads
D2s for toms, D4 for floor
D6 for kick
i5 for snare top
sm7b for snare bottom
sm58 for room (lame, i know, haha)
sm57 for the ride

I'm pretty happy with the drum sounds, but I'm curious to get some feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad dusty is out of HDMR. I got out real quick, real faggoty band. Drums sound sick though, Tom's are awesome, snare is awesome too. But dusty is a damn consistent player, definitely a solid player. What are you running for pre's?

Yeah, the dude is crazy good! I'm just running it straight into my presonus firestudio 26x26 and a MPAII for a couple of the channels... the room and the bottom snare mic I believe.

Haha, I think he was being sarcastic ;)

great pre-amp for the money, no doubt. I plan to toss some telefunken tubes in it soon.

Haha, my iPhone didn't load the troll face. Lol

I've been thinking about buying it to try it. I might go thru with it :)

Who did the first Serpents little Ep sampler thingy?

Btw dustys a fucking good drummer. Actually excited for RF's new shit.

Kick fitted the style perfectly, not sure about the snare though..

Not really into this music that much, but man, awesome drummer. I actually like the snare too and the rest just sounds amazing. Nice work!

Thanks Sam! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the snare sits - definitely raw, but it suits their sound. Plus, we did 9 songs in like 4 hours, so we didn't have a ton of time for tuning or tweaking. That, and new heads always sound better.

dude. this is fucking SICK! what kind of snare was he using? the nuanced ping and ring it has when he hits it at a certain velocity and/or certain spot gives me a fucking HARD ON. Did you automate the room mic on those parts or anything?

godly fucking sound. i seriously love it. LOADS of vibe.

one more, how big is your room you track in? is it like a warehouse kind of thing?

This sounds pretty awesome. +2 to the room question, I thought you recorded in your garage?

Thanks Sig! Yeah, I feel you on the snare boner, hahaha. I'm gonna text Dusty and get back with you on what kind of snare it was.

Yeah, I still record in my garage. I just love the way the cement floor gives me a real lively feeling. I think it's like 20'x18'x10'or11'

No automation on anything, but I do compress and eq the shit out of my room mic to give the room a bigger sound. A little bit of reverb to push it out, too.