Cheap but usable 7 string

Nov 11, 2013
Was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap but decent 7 string guitar for studio use only. I really hate spending a lot, just wanted something to mess with and do some tracking.

I see Sweetwater has a Jackson dinky and an Ibanez pretty cheap, are they any good?

Thanks guys!

I just got the Jackson js 22 7 (the version with the maple fretboard) this past week to mess around on. So far I really like it, frets needed some work (some ends were suuuuper sharp and scraped up my hand while I played), but after a good setup it's pretty nice. Pickups are surprisingly decent for the price range, though I will probably swap for some dimarzios at some point. Dunno how it stacks up with the ibanez.

Can't really complain about my Cort EVL K47. Solid playable axe. Very basic but good finish. Standard bridge but 27" scale. Mahogany body. I replaced the stock bridge EMG HZ with a 81-7 but it wasn't even that bad tbh. They are discontinued but there's a new similar model now. K57b I think.
Soulmasters look cool too as mentioned above.

The Legato looks nice and the VGS with Evertune looks awesome! Trouble is, neither I can find here in the states. The Jackson is available super cheap, but I'm a little afraid of the quality. I would hate to have something that I have to fight with just to stay in tune.

I have an ESP with an Evertune and love the fact it stays perfectly in tune during tracking.

Decisions.. Decisions.. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

You can occasionally find second-hand Ibanez RG7421 that were built around '99 in Japan,
I own one and they have great value for the prize, they're pretty much better in most aspects than any brand new 7s in the same price range we have on the market today imo.

You can occasionally find second-hand Ibanez RG7421 that were built around '99 in Japan,
I own one and they have great value for the prize, they're pretty much better in most aspects than any brand new 7s in the same price range we have on the market today imo.
I can second this. I bought this guitar second hand and it was great for a while until i decided to go for a Loomis Schecter as i inevitably preferred a 7 string.