Cheap Dummy Load Box

@TheUnknown: That thread is gone, for a good reason. The correct info is what I just posted: A single resistor that matches what you need (wattage/ohm) and a 1/4" jack connected to that, all in an enclosure that will help with heat. The problem with that thread you are talking about was that the original schematic called for multiple resistors, and the initial problem was confusion on whether to wire them in series or parallel, to get the correct OHM for the application. Using a single resistor obviously clears that up, as there is only one resistor, one ohm, one wattage... one way to wire it to the jack. Very simple. That is 100% correct.

006...Do resistors come in ohms also?
Sorry im confused. I thought for a 100 watt head you got a 100 watt resistor.

Where in the uk could I even get a 150 watt 8 ohm resistor there massive haha

Here:
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/index.php/cat/c247_High-Power-Resistors.html - they do international shipping and it's quite cheap.

I've posted this few times on other threads about dummy load boxes...
I, myself, bought two of those 16Ohm 150W resistors and wired them in parallel, so I have a dummy load of 8Ohms and 300W! (more than enough of the headroom, and definitely no risk of damaging anything ;))

I could build anyone a Loadbox with line out for use with impulses and such for a decent price. PM me.

What if I use x15 10watt 68ohm wire wound resistors?? if I wire them up in parallel will they handle the high power of my 5150II??
that will give me 150watt 4.44ohm (which is enough to run my head on the 4 ohm setting) can someone shine some light on this??

Here's what I did I bought two 100 watt 8 ohm aluminium clad resistors and wired them parallel and wired a jack to the front, then attached it to a steel plate an keep it in a ventilated area, never had any trouble

What if I use x15 10watt 68ohm wire wound resistors?? if I wire them up in parallel will they handle the high power of my 5150II??
that will give me 150watt 4.44ohm (which is enough to run my head on the 4 ohm setting) can someone shine some light on this??

I'm not entirely sure those transistor are designed for that use... but I'm no expert either... and by the way, I don't know how did you come up with 4.44Ohm, because wiring 15 resistors of 68Ohm each (in parallel) will give you 4.53Ohms... But 17 of them would give you exactly 4Ohms (and more power headroom, which is good).

But, man, seriously, I fail to understand why is everyone damn lazy to check that Tubetown site, where you can get SINGLE resistor that's actually DESIGNED FOR DUMMY LOAD and solve all of your problems!? It's cheap and they ship EVERYWHERE!... I'm sorry for being a bit agitated, but people come here for help, and when you give them advice they ignore it quite often...

i contacted engl support. i wanted to just use the head preamp so i sent the fx send firectly to the interface. the engl support said that you dont turn on the stanfby switch the power amp is off and only the pre is working so basiclly you can just play with it with no nead for any dummy load

i contacted engl support. i wanted to just use the head preamp so i sent the fx send firectly to the interface. the engl support said that you dont turn on the stanfby switch the power amp is off and only the pre is working so basiclly you can just play with it with no nead for any dummy load

This only works on a couple of amps though. Engl is one, there is one (maybe two) other popular amp makers that design their amps to work this way. 5150/6505/II/+/5150 III, for example, do not work this way. Most amps must have a dummy load because you have to flip the standby switch in order for sound to come out of the FX Send/Line Out.

nervirasme said:
But, man, seriously, I fail to understand why is everyone damn lazy to check that Tubetown site, where you can get SINGLE resistor that's actually DESIGNED FOR DUMMY LOAD and solve all of your problems!? It's cheap and they ship EVERYWHERE!

+1 to this. Just get a single resistor. Less work, simple design, less components that can fail/be wired incorrectly.

http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/pr...gh-Power-Resistor-8R2--8-Ohm----150-Watt.html

^ that + 1/4" jack + enclosure = done