Cheap solution for kick triggers

Maybe it's just me, and I'm not a drummer, but I don't think I'd want a free swinging arm like a beater to be hampered in any way by a cable. At some point, this WILL have an effect on something, and there is no way it doesn't create drag (even if it's the tiniest, smallest, slightest bit). It would have been easier and less work for him to have just attached one piezo to the drum head.

+1
yep the piezo needs to be fixed to the drum head as a click pad would be ,that way the cable should last indefinitely or at least far longer than if it was constantly bending back and forth with the pedal .

Well....I decided to give it a shot anyway. It does trigger quite well....much better than a piezo attached to the drum head at least. It doesnt double trigger or mistrigger which is a huge plus for me.
I'm sure ther may be fatigue issues to worry about as far as the wire is concerned, but I'm brainstorming ideas to modify this design.
As far as "drag" is concerned.....maybe it is there, but I don't notice it. The pedal feels as good as ever. I used speaker wire (the kind you would use in a home stereo) because I wanted something lighter in weight. I just taped it to the shaft of the beater and tried to leave slack where needed to minimize fatigue on the wires. Seems rugged enough thus far, and I tested it harder than I would ever play. Only time can tell.

Anywas, Im gonna keep on brainstorming ideas to modify this design. I really think it has potential. I got it to trigger more accurately than the redshots that use to own....thats good enough for me, even if it means a repair every now and then (I dont intend to use them live....unless of course I get the design just right).

Ok congrats on getting it working and like you said you can always replace the wires easily enough .

Am I the only person who's never had any problems with mistriggering or double triggering? I use DDrum Pro Triggers, no muffling on the drums (minus a feather pillow on the kick, which is done for sound rather than for triggering) recording straight into Pro Tools and using Soundreplacer.
Maybe it's a thing that only happens with drum modules?

It could be my module.....Im just using a roland TD5. I used an alesis d4 when I had the ddrum triggers and I was able to get it to trigger fairly well with some adjustments, but I could never get it perfect.

As far as modifications, I'm thinking of putting a piezo under the foot board and triggering from there so there are no moving wires. I'll keep u guys posted.

Am I the only person who's never had any problems with mistriggering or double triggering? I use DDrum Pro Triggers, no muffling on the drums (minus a feather pillow on the kick, which is done for sound rather than for triggering) recording straight into Pro Tools and using Soundreplacer.
Maybe it's a thing that only happens with drum modules?

Knock on wood I have not had any problems either

Half of the mistriggers I ever get are from the beater bouncing and doing a double hit when I don't mean it to.

I just wish someone would come up with an E-kit mod for other pedals besides the Axis. Even if one had to drill to mount it, it's probably still worth it.

That looks great!

I doubt the wires would be that big of a deal, especially if they were tightly adhered to the shaft. I would be more worried about them coming loose and getting caught in the chain.