Check out this clip, RME vs M-audio POD XT recording round 2!

So what are you going to do dude? do you still have time to take it back and try something new?.......I have to admit you have scared me a little from the RME 400.....but the stuff you have posted doesn't seem as bad to me as you think it is.

Well Bob, yesterday i was prefering the m-audios result (like you were too I believe). Im now listening again and Im thinking with a bit of patch tweaking the RME is going to get you a better sound... try it!

So what are you going to do dude? do you still have time to take it back and try something new?.......I have to admit you have scared me a little from the RME 400.....but the stuff you have posted doesn't seem as bad to me as you think it is.

Oh dude, dont get me wrong.. it's a BEAST! the convertors, the pre-amps, the low latency settings while mixing/recording a huuuge project, the flexabillity, it does it all, and it does it well.
Im just trying to find out why i think my own material sounds so different when recording, but im more and more convinced that what im hearing now is the truth, and that the m-audio is a foul and wrong representation of what i SHOULD have been hearing for all these years...
You see, i infest money into a new PC, a new interface and i get such different results when i record my own stuff, that is a bit dissapointing, but i just need to adjust i guess.
Weird thing is, when other material comes in like bands and their recordings, im doing perfectly okay with that.. it is my own input that's different now.

And yes, installation was a bitch.. i had some weird stuff going on, but hey.. i never did use a expensive card/interface like the RME, and as it is with all new stuff and wanting to install it as fast as possible, it just takes time.

Oh dude, dont get me wrong.. it's a BEAST! the convertors, the pre-amps, the low latency settings while mixing/recording a huuuge project, the flexabillity, it does it all, and it does it well.
Im just trying to find out why i think my own material sounds so different when recording, but im more and more convinced that what im hearing now is the truth, and that the m-audio is a foul and wrong representation of what i SHOULD have been hearing for all these years...
You see, i infest money into a new PC, a new interface and i get such different results when i record my own stuff, that is a bit dissapointing, but i just need to adjust i guess.
Weird thing is, when other material comes in like bands and their recordings, im doing perfectly okay with that.. it is my own input that's different now.

And yes, installation was a bitch.. i had some weird stuff going on, but hey.. i never did use a expensive card/interface like the RME, and as it is with all new stuff and wanting to install it as fast as possible, it just takes time.

Heh. Back when I changed from plugging my guitar directly to a crappy integrated sound card to using a Firepod, it took me a couple of weeks to get things sound about right. The old EQ settings etc. were completely off and I hated the results before I learned how the interface changed my guitar tone :)