Check this out

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
"Well it’s not like we write music in parts and glue them together like some other bands seem to (cough Opeth cough)" - Tobias Driver from maudlin of the Well.

So dudes, what do you think of this?

maudlin of the well are fucking shit, I downloaded one of their albums on recommendation and listened to it - what the fuck? directionless, pointless, atmosphereless, somewhere between sigur ros and isis with fucking stupid sounding recorders, whistles and whatever else. ANYONE that actually pretends to like this just wants to seem intelligent or feel different - fucking horrible, awful, pointless crap. heh, at least opeth write songs....

Instead of acting like a deluded fanboy, I'm going to say that I can see where he's coming from. Bits of Orchid and Morningrise do sometimes seem like riffs just glued together. However, I still think they have a great flow, and that the music is terrific - better than anything MOTW have done - so bah, bah, and bah again.

I think that Orchid, Morningrise, and to a lesser extent, Deliverance, suffer from the cut and paste affliction. I think that in Opeth's "prime", (MAYH, SL, BWP), the songs were well crafted and flowed along nicely. Opeth has always had a somewhat disjointed style though, so I totally understand the comment. I also happen to think motW are incredible. Both of these bands have somewhat unusual/unique styles that really lend themselves to misinterpretation and mindless bashing.

Also, I think this is flamebait intended to get the fanboys riled up.

Black Dragon said:
Now now, I hand craft and pick my bashings from a field of colorful adjectives and lewd run-ons.

If only everyone put as much care into their bashing, the world would be a better place I tells ya.

In Orchid and Morningrise the songs are long because the riffs stop and a new one starts, they don't blend together like on all their other albums. And rarely do the new riffs go well with the old ones, so most of the songs off their first two albums could have easily been split into more than one song. I mean just look at the intro to The Apostle in Triumph and first two (or was it four?) minutes of Black Rose Immortal.

But Under the Weeping Moon or Advent or To Bid You Farewell, the riffs for those songs blend in very well when they change.

I hope that made more sense to you guys as it did to me.

All the parts their songs feel like they belong together, usually. It's not just random. They maintain a certain feeling. Like, In Mist... and Advent and April Ethereal and Wreath. MOTW is ok. But they seem kind of pretentious (not just from that comment).

How does someone define "cut-and-pasted" riffs? I would think that if someone analyzes music in that way, then you are not really feeling the music, you are watching it. A criticism like that one usually comes only from people who are listening to music critically. When I first listened to Orchid, I got the awkward cut-and-paste sense from it that many people do, but because it does not bother me after multiple listens. . .so why criticize?