original bands...

Originally posted by Oyo
O, I can't forget Atheist.

I was driving with Piece of Time playing today, and it suddenly hit me (after 4 months or so of owning this album) that Atheist is a fucking incredible band.

They sound very jazzy, my favorite thing about them is their insanely crazy bass, it just blows me away... rocks my socks

Piece of time is a great album, but if you want to hear a REALLY GOOD ATHEIST album you have to check ot "UNQUESTIONABLE PRESENCE" now this album kicks ass! Its like PIECE OF TIME only way better. Also don't forget to check out ELEMENTS this album is the one that followed Unquestionable presence and it kicks ass as well!

Check out, as others stated, the best band in the world Enslaved.

Neurosis...

I second the recommendation of In The Woods - I happen to be listening to HEart of the Ages right now.

Arcturus

I think Type O Negative is pretty original. You can hear they're influenced by Black Sabbath, but I think Type O is much more moody and spooky which I don't really think Sabbath is. Okay, I haven't heard that much Sabbath, so maybe I'm not the right to say. "Black No. 1" is one of the best examples of Type O's spooky moods. The ending riffs on "Everything dies" (not radio edit!) and "Be my druidess" ("I'll do anything to make you cum") is also good examples of this. "White Slavery" is another example. The reason why I think they're original is also because noone else gives me this spooky mood. Mozart's "Requiem" and John Barry's soundtrack to "The lion in winter" comes close, but not close enough!
I don't think Enslaved is that great though. I have "Mardraum" and I think it's kind of like most other black metal records. Lots of aggression and smashing, but not so much melody. "Entrance - Escape" is a great song though and the best on that record in my opinion. I also feel that this song is pretty different from the rest of the record.

I think ARCTURUS is pretty damn original, I really liked their first album, but "La Masquerade Infernale" was diappointing, but their new one "The Sham Mirrors" is excellent again.

I also really like SOLEFALD's first album "The Linear Scaffold", weird but great. Their second one "Neonism" was a bit too weird for my taste and I haven't heard their last one, anyone heard it, what's it like??

Pretty original:
Dornenreich - her von welken Nächten
Penetralia - seelenkrank
Tenhi - kauan (not metal but great stuff; depressive acoustic folk)
Finntroll - every Finntroll album>Enslaved discography!
..and the already mentioned Arcturus and In the woods!

Originally posted by MadTinus
I haven't heard their last one, anyone heard it, what's it like??

I have that latest, "Pills fro Ageless Ills", and when I had it, it sounded very good. More straightforward than Neonism and nice rock'n'roll riffs here and there. Actually it has many levels and music styles, but it works.
After all I got bored of it in one phase, but maybe I must now give it another chance...

Originally posted by Board
I think Type O Negative is pretty original. You can hear they're influenced by Black Sabbath, but I think Type O is much more moody and spooky which I don't really think Sabbath is. Okay, I haven't heard that much Sabbath, so maybe I'm not the right to say. "Black No. 1" is one of the best examples of Type O's spooky moods. The ending riffs on "Everything dies" (not radio edit!) and "Be my druidess" ("I'll do anything to make you cum") is also good examples of this. "White Slavery" is another example. The reason why I think they're original is also because noone else gives me this spooky mood. Mozart's "Requiem" and John Barry's soundtrack to "The lion in winter" comes close, but not close enough!

Yup ....when it comes to originallity Type O is right there.... i have not yet heard a band that sounds like them .

I'd have to say that Fredrik Thordendal's solo project Sol Niger Within is one of the most original (and incredible) albums I have ever heard.