Bands like Opeth

While we're at it:

Woods of Ypres (great band, got some great dynamics too)
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon (death/black/doom metal, with great subtle melodies)

i finally got PT's "in absentia" and think it is really good... sorta more mellow and psychedelic in parts, but awfully good. their web site has lots of other band recs, so you might check that out.
but anyway, been noting all your recs here since i have very little to contribute and am finding lots of good stuff here!

there's a band called 'The Prophecy' that's released an album called 'Ashes'..they're a talented band and sound a LOT like Opeth especially on the song 'The Killing Fields'.

cthulufhtagn said:
yeah i really love mer de noms and i went out and bought the new one a while ago actually...i just don't really find it musically anywhere close to opeth! i was disappointed it wasn't as heavy as the first one...just twice as depressing lol

Is it Taboo to say the name of the "new one"?? :lol: Thirteenth Step is an awesome album. While APC is nothing like Opeth, including the "first one" :p, they are good recommends nonetheless.