Bands like Opeth

I dont mind these threads getting repeated, but what I do mind is the fact that no-one ever states whether they want similar sounding bands, or similar bands in the sense of uniqueness.

Try:
Dan Swano-Moontower
Edge of Sanity- Crimson has Mike on vox in a few parts
Forest Stream
Agalloch
Yeah...there are many others out there, you just have to look.

Why would you want to listen to a band that sounds like Opeth? I mean we have Opeth for that. If you wanted a band similar in creativity and uniqueness you might want to check out Agalloch, but the only similarity they share with Opeth is the mix of clean and "groweled" vocals. Musically they are two very, very, very, different bands.

I don't know if ayone else agrees, but Ulver would be my next in line. Blast beats, Shrieking, Acoustic parts, Clean vocals. Black Metal tough, hope your into that.

You dont need to be a BM fan to enjoy Ulver (only talking about the early work here). The dynamics and structures are quite similar to Opeth's.

My suggestions for some interesting bands (all are 9/10 or better):

Kayo Dot (Maudlin of the Well) - as suggested in a post above... they have all the Opeth elements + more.

Dissection (obvious most here already know this) - shit these guys ruled...
all Opeth fans should have them in their collection. What a talent Jon Nodtveidt was... talent which to me just about matches Akerfeldt... Too bad he wasn't nearly the great guy Mike is.

Weakling - short lived band from San Francisco (1 cd). Destroys all other black metal bands I've ever heard... long songs. A bit hard to find... but well worth it if you can...

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God - Nothing like Opeth... this is sort of black metal meets God Speed For You Black Emperor...
Just making this recommendation because it flows so smoothly and is interesting to listen too... never heard a drum machine used to effectively...

Manifestation said:
I don't know if ayone else agrees, but Ulver would be my next in line. Blast beats, Shrieking, Acoustic parts, Clean vocals. Black Metal tough, hope your into that.

I agree with that, but not the whole you can mostly appreciate it if you're into black metal. I think Ulver appeals to a large diverse audience... or at least in the metal underground and underground music in general.

Monsterxman said:
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God - Nothing like Opeth... this is sort of black metal meets God Speed For You Black Emperor...
Just making this recommendation because it flows so smoothly and is interesting to listen too... never heard a drum machine used to effectively...

I find it very unlikely that someone would be able to go straight from Opeth to Blut Aus Nord if they were still fairly new to extreme metal. The Work Which Transorms God is brillaint, but it's not terribly accessible.

Ulver transcends any genre theyve been apart of, and continues to break barriers for newcomers to different genres as well.

black metal
folk acoustic/amateur neo classical
advante garde metal/rock
electronic/trip hop
noise
techno/dance
ambient
film scores/soundtracks

i cant think of another band which has done all that.

Disillusion.. different then opeth but .. i guess sort of similar in away