Cheers and Jeers 2014

Cheers:
DaVinci's Pizza. Absolutely the best pizza I've ever had. I ate it all day long for four days in a row and couldn't get enough. Was going through withdrawals on the flight back home.

Jeers:
The music was pretty boring. Not a fan. I'll be back next year for more Davinci's.

Cheers:

Everything. Glenn & Jen, Nathan and Milton, the crew, the lineup, my personal friends, and the rest of the fans, all great. As it is, year after year. Even the bands I personally didn't enjoy did an objectively good job, and with one notable exception*, everyone I ran into this year was pleasant, even the rowdy drunk ones.

Lara and Julien, Kez, T.J., and Jim, for playing host and/or ferrying me around at various times during the festivities.

One that I haven't seen mentioned: The Project Arcadia video was incredible! I generally enjoy what Urban does, but if the rest of the album is this good, it might be the first thing yet that surpasses Tad Morose for me.

Next year's festival dates. Dragon*Power!!!!! Thank you for that, Glenn!

Last but not least: the lineup for next year is one for the books. I hope it sells out as quickly as it deserves to. And since Morgana Lefay is playing, I might be bringing a ProgPower newbie next year!

Jeers:

*The creepy guy from the party. Glad some of you were vigilant with him; I saw him being weird around some of the girls, but I actually thought he was in one of the bands and was just being goofy. I (and others, I'm sure) didn't realize he was actually dangerous until after the fact.

And a jeer for myself: Due to a combination of my increasing social anxiety, a lower energy level than in previous years (due to not being in as good shape as usual), and staying in a hotel apart from where most of my friends were located, I didn't spend as much time talking/hanging out with friends, or meeting new ones, as I have in the past, and I spent a lot more time being a wallflower. For those of you I spoke to only briefly or not at all this weekend, it was my own issue and I apologize. I have a lot of work to do on myself.

Cheers:
DaVinci's Pizza. Absolutely the best pizza I've ever had. I ate it all day long for four days in a row and couldn't get enough. Was going through withdrawals on the flight back home.

Jeers:
The music was pretty boring. Not a fan. I'll be back next year for more Davinci's.

Davinci's isn't prog!

Is it bad that I kind of wish I was at this party in the Artmore just so I could have seen this guy everyone is talking about? Now I feel left out for walking back to my hotel room. Also, Jesus Christ I'm 20 years old and I walked back to my hotel room because I was tired and everyone else just kept on partying. I have to step it up next year. No offense about y'all's ages either.

Edit: Also, one final jeer is that I didn't meet up with much of you. I was rather shy this fest in regards to meeting new people. Next year though you can all be sure I'll bother you.

Judging by the comments I'd definitely say it's Thrash.
DaVinci's is Manowar - it's cheesy, stale, and we know there are better options out there, yet we all just couldn't resist going back for another pass, hoping it would recapture its former glory.

Oh. One more cheer:

On Friday night, Saturday morning around 4am, when the Artmore staff came out to clean up, by himself, and I called "OK WE'RE ON TRASH DUTY!" EVERYONE immediately stopped and cleaned the ENTIRE courtyard. It was amazing.

I thought that was awesome and the staff was really grateful for the help. I think we pretty much had that place cleaned up in 5 minutes!

Edit: Also, one final jeer is that I didn't meet up with much of you. I was rather shy this fest in regards to meeting new people. Next year though you can all be sure I'll bother you.

The first time I went to the fest, I was just overwhelmed by everything going on. The awesome music, all of the CDs that I could find in the vendor area, all the people there and so forth. I did not know ANYONE and I am not exactly the most social person around either. That first time, I pretty much stayed planted in my seat the entire time and just watched the shows. I don't think I even went down onto the floor during any of the sets. I did go down to the vendor area between sets to buy CDs as well as got something to eat, but beyond that, pretty much sat in my seat the entire time. Yet, I remember just how cool everyone was that I did get to meet. I met Lance that first time. I also remember meeting a few of the other folks that are still on this forum, but good Lord, I don't remember whom. At the time, ProgPower was being billed as an "elite festival for an elite audience", and it seemed to be the case. It took a couple of years of going to PP to really start to "come out of my shell" and start to get out there and just talk to the people and find out who they all are. Now, it is to the point I am looking forward as much, if not more, to seeing everyone than just seeing the band perform.

I'm not even sure where to start. This was one of my favorite PPUSA events to date.

Bands - Voodoo Circle, Masterplan, Stratovarius, Overkill, Pain of Salvation and Leprous more than lived up to expectations. Withem was a pleasant surprise.

People - Every year I meet more of the folks here, and every year it feels more and more like a family reunion.

Vendors - I don't know what people are complaining about. Prices were extremely reasonable, especially on day two (which anyone who has been here more than once really ought to know). And for the ultra-cheap, Century had dozens of titles for A DOLLAR each.

No real jeers from me. I'll second Matt's issue with the elevator at the venue. It's a minor complaint, but having to walk up and down the garage every time I needed to drop off merch or pick up stuff for the signing session was rough on my arthritis (yes I know I sound like an old man).

Oh, and major jeer to the kid who crashed through the drywall at the venue, took photos with him and his damage, and then left.

Yeah, I know its Mat, not Matt! Anyway, I am a big Sinner and Primal Fear fan, plus love Hard Rock, so VC is right up my alley, but when I went to take a pic with Mat in the lobby, when no one else was around, and had to take it twice because of flash issues, he said to the lady taking the pic, which was with him, that he came to enjoy the fest, probably meaning, judging by his attitude, that he did not want to be there taking a pic with me. He maybe forgets the reason he does what he does is because of the fans. At signing he wasnt even looking up, just on automatic! He did smile and looked at me when I said thanks, but that pic attitude put me off. I guess he could learn from Ralf, which I always see smiling in pics and I wish I could had met him at PPUSA X!!

FYI- Mat left Germany after having several rounds of drummer auditions up until the flight...he also spent weeks prepping and putting together the upcoming Rock Meets Classic Line up. For two days prior they also had VC rehearsals..then a 10 hour flight. so give the guy some slack. :) I was the one who took the photo, I am a friend of Mat's and yes, he was incredibly tired.

Oh man, forgot to send a cheer to Brian (edgeofthorns) for saving some very choice seats on Saturday. It was nice to be able to hit the restroom and that last signing session without losing those spots.

I didn't plan to write a review this year, but I decided that I needed the closure.* With that said, here are cheers, jeers, and thoughts that I think:

THE BIGGEST CHEER
**** First and foremost, Glenn (and Jen and the entire crew) for keeping this thing going.* Your efforts are so appreciated.* While Oliva and Streets would have been a perfect storybook ending, it is infinitely better to not have it end at all yet.* I know it is a ton of work, and I know that PP will end someday.* That will be a sad, end of an era, day.* This is so much more than a concert.* May it keep selling out quickly, and may Glenn keep it going for a long time. ***

CHEER - THE OLIVA VERSION
*- Without rehashing too much, 'Streets' has been my #1 album for a very long time.* *To me, it invokes such an unmatched incredible and deep swing of emotions, along with the amazing music.* To see it performed here (in its entirety, and sorta kinda in order), was the high point of my 13 years of PP (and of my 43 years of concerts).* A few of us Sava devotees were wondering if the show could match our so very high expectations.* The consensus was no, it didn't match them.* It exceeded them.

*- I cannot recall a headliner that was so obviously enthused for the show.* I've seen it in openers.* Evergrey showed that they were thrilled when they finally hit headliner status.* But Jon was so over the top excited that it bubbled over throughout the show.* *Add to that the fact that he is a consummate entertainer, along with the paradox of being an amazing professional that doesn't himself seriously.* I don't recall him moving around the stage that much since 1990.* Heck, I don't think I've seen him get up from the keyboard in a decade.* The man was just in a zone.* The rest of the band was great as well (Bill Hudson, great job!), but Oliva was everything I hoped for.* The setlist was great as well.* Loved the opening throwback songs.

-* Kudos to the Mountain King for playing with broken ribs.* *Some bands don't play without the proper ratio of fog machines and strobe lights.* Oliva sang and ran around with broken ribs.

- I admit to a small bit of fear for Need's vocalist when Jon was dancing and twirling him around the stage.* That is a little guy being spun around by an aptly named Mountain King.* The weight difference was probably 3 to 1.* One trip up and Need would need a new vocalist.

- I could probably go on for 5 more pages about this show.* Glenn could book it every year and I'd be thrilled.* I guess all of this is my way of saying to both Jon Oliva's Pain for the performance and to Glenn for making it happen:* Thank you.* My deepest thanks.

IMAGINARY OLIVA CHEER:
To Glenn, for deciding to sell the DVD of the entire JOP set.* *Hey, we can hope, right?* I'll bet you can put a $75 price tag on that and make enough sales to make it worth the hassle.

Other CHEERS, JEERS, and NITPICKY Observations that didn't detract from the show but that I like to mention because I think they're funny and because I get to introduce them with a run on sentence that would have given my 11th grade English a heart attack.

CHEER:
To the bands I don't mention.* I caught at least some of every set.* While they weren't all to my liking, they all contributed to a great fest year.* *(A sort of JEER on myself for not 'getting' Leprous.* I keep trying.* I know they're talented and all.* But I just don't get it).

CHEER:
Pagan's Mind for near flawless talent during a 3 hour performance.* Wow.

JEER:
Me for being unable to stay awake for the whole thing after getting up at 4:15 am to catch a flight to Atlanta.* *I was sorry to miss the last 40 mins or so of that one, but what I saw was excellent.

CHEER:
To Nathan for this year's Thursday lineup.

JEER:
Blinding lights. Please stop.

CHEER WITH A CAN OF ENSURE:
Overkill.* Wow. Just wow.* The old guys put the younger folks to shame.* The highest energy of the night.* Plus, those old bastards are in better shape than most of the younger bands.* Simply a killer performance.

JEER:
Really not a fan of mosh pits.* I'm too damn old for that.

CHEER:
This year's pit wasn't too bad.

NITPICK:
Except for the crazy guy in a Hawaiian shirt moshing during Overkill.* Glenn should ban him.

JEER:
The terrible mix for the Mercy Falls performance.* Seventh Wonder is such vocal driven show, and it really hampered the show to be unable to hear the vocals very well, as well as to have the other muddled instruments. (Glenn already addressed this.* See next entry before yelling at me).* Note that it didn't help that SW had to follow Overkill.

CHEER:
The Sat morning SW show made up for the Fri night mix.* The sound was incredible, the vocals dead on, the setlist a great choice and the performance spectacular.* It was worth the early wake up (and I was glad to see that over a hundred other people agreed).* The acoustic medley at the end was a Saturday show highlight, surpassed only by Wolverine's set last year.

CREW CHEER:
I know that early morning set up took extra effort.* Kudos for the hard work.

NITPICK:
I like the intimacy of the Loft better for the show. I understand why it was held in Center Stage (DVD filming), but I'm happy the GB show will be back upstairs next year.

CHEER:
Not needing to wake up early to book the Artmore on Sat morning .

JEER:
Needing to skip part of a band to book the Artmore in the afternoon.

NITPICK:
What the Artmore will learn from this:* Can't please everyone.

JEER:
Walking in late (because I was booking a room) to Divided Multitude to hear the second of two drum solos (and an amazing cover of 'Perfect Strangers').* I detest drum solos.* I couldn't believe a band did two of them in a one hour set.

CHEER:
Revising my opinion after seeing the tweet and not having a drummer and improvising with two others.* That is making the best of a bad situation.* Nice job DM!

CHEER:
For the ongoing tweets.* Loved being able to keep up in real time.

NITPICK SUGGESTION:
For future years, could someone tweet as soon as the band is going on?* It would help when off on a dinner break.* Because, you know, it's all about making my life easier.

CHEER:
Voodoo Circle for out Whitesnaking Whitesnake. And I mean that in a good way.* Readman has an incredible voice.* * Plus, they talked about some technical problems but played right through it.* Like professionals should.

CHEER:
Jorn who?* Masterplan's Altzi put on a great performance, and the entire band was crisp and professional.* Plus, they had some technical problems.* Grapow said that this sort of thing happens, and then they played through it, like professionals* (Have I built up the foreshadowing enough yet).

JEER:
Pain Of Salvation had some technical problems, but they played through it like profess . . .* . oh, wait.* They went all Axl Rose hissy fit.* I admit to a lack of objectivity because I wasn't a huge fan before that, but I like most of 'Remedy lane' and wanted to check that out.* That move, and the subsequent additional 7-10 min delay sure colored my opinion.* I'm glad the others enjoyed it, though.

CHEER:
No smoking in Vinyl.* So much better to be able to breathe in there.

JEER:
Next we need a hygiene policy to ensure everyone uses deodorant and soap.* Some of those people on the floor . . .* yeesh.

BACKHANDED CHEER:
To DaVinci's for having pizza in the venue.* I didn't buy it, because I thought $5 a slice was robbery.* However, I think they went through at least 50 pies each night so it made others happy, and I admire any money making plan.* Good for them.* *I had no problems hitting Sausalito's or Vespucci's, each catering to PP and approx. 2.5 mins away walking.

NITPICK:
The ink used at the front door must have been the cheapest ink ever. It took a long time to dry, easily got on clothing or other body parts, and was removed with a drop of water.

LACK OF JEER:
The temporarily enhanced security didn't bother me, but I'm glad it was fixed once Glenn caught wind of it.

UNEXPECTED CHEER:
To the sloshed guy hitting on every girl that moved Friday in the Courtyard.* Enough has been said about this Bitey McBiterstein, but I've some good news for you.* Earlier that evening, before he decided to go for a little blond snack, I saw him holding an empty* plastic cup.
- He walked up to the Artmore fountain.
- He filled his cup from the water in the Artmore fountain.
- He DRANK the water from the Artmore fountain!
I've some of the things and people in that fountain.* HE DRANK THAT WATER!* Forget the alcohol poisoning and the cops.* I think that water alone is going to make him suffer.* Cheers!

CHEER:
For next year's lineup.* I was prepared that nothing could was going to equal my anticipation for this year.* Glenn could have announced Ayreon, Avantasia, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and also built a time machine to bring in the original Queensryche lineup back when Geoff Tate could sing, and I would have said:* "That's' awesome. Almost as good as "Streets".

However, next year looks pretty solid throughout, and I'm thrilled to get Voyager and finally see Falconer after predicting them every year.* *Nice job.

JEER AFTER READING THIS THREAD:
To the people that read a thread called "CHEERS AND JEERS" and complain that people are complaining.* One: Consider the irony.* Two: Have you met the internet before?

FINAL CHEER:
The folks that hang with me and are willing to let me be seen with them during the fest.* You know who you are, and you guys make this thing great.

Until next year,

Steve in Philly