Chicago show

murderedbysound

MurderedbySound
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
i went basically to see Bodom and Dimmu. the whole show was just awsome, i had bought some nevermore and hyprocrasy just to see what they were like and i didnt like there cds all to much. but seeing them live was totally different.
i caught the lead guitarist's pick from nevermore. which was badass. though Bodoms set list was as usual in the US WAY TO FUCKING SHORT!!. my freind printed out a list and i guess it was for Japan......again as usual!

but Alexi was badass and Janne was just obscene, on how fast he can go around on the keys. and Roope was spot on. i was really looking forward to the solo battle. oh well

Dimmu blew my head off my shoulders, not to mention i was about 3ft from a speaker. my ears are still ringing and my neck is totally sore. so in all it was worth the price of admission and then some!

My review:

I got to the House of Blues at about 5:15 (half hour before doors)...and the line already had about 600 people in it. After we finally got through the rediculous metal dectors we headed up stairs. The House of Blues sucks, because you have to be 21+ to sit in the balcony, and it's impossible to get in and out of the floor.

Hypocrisy went on first. They're one of those bands that I've always wanted to check out, but never got around to. They were very good.

Setlist:

Killing Art

Pleasure of Molestation

Eraser (new song)

Roswell 47

and a few others

Next up was the most amazing band of the night, Children of the Bodom. To put it simply these guys are the best live act I've ever seen. The solos are executed flawlessly, the mix was perfect, everything was completely top-notch. These guys really need to go on a headlining tour doing smaller clubs, instead of playing support.

Setlist:

Needled 24/7

Hate Me!

Chokehold

Silent Night, Bodom Night

Bodom Beach Terror

Downfall

Nevermore took the stage next. They were pretty good. I didn't like their song selection, and Warrel's voice isn't as powerful live as it is on the albums. I left for part of their set but they were decent. They got even less of a crowd response than Hypocrisy.

Setlist:

Narcosynthesis

Seven Tongues of God

Engines of Hate

I Voyager

Enemies of Reality

and a few others off the new album

Next up was Dimmu. They took a ridiculously long time getting ready. The reason for this was that they had a crap load of lights of various sorts up on stage, which was pretty neat at first, but soon got a bit old. They played mostly new stuff. The mix wasn’t that great. Too much bass and drums hardly any keyboard. The obvious highlights were the ones where Vortex sang. Unfortunately that was only three song (Kings of the Carnival, Prognegies, and Insight). Vortex is certainly wasting his amazing vocal capabilities by singing so little in Dimmu Borgir. I left before the encore (I saw they were taking Vortex’s mic down, and they’d probably do Spellbound and Mourning Palace which I don’t really like that much). So overall Dimmu Borgir was kind of disappointing, because the mix was bad and they really rely on the synth, which I couldn’t hear.

Overall, it was certainly worth the money just to see Children of the Bodom alone. They put on the best half hour of live music I’ve ever seen.

Hatebreeder86 said:
Sounds cool :) but it's sad that cob has so short sets there :( they didn't play even towards dead end and lake bodom! fuck. But.. i'm finnish so i am able to see longer sets :D
*Shake's Fist Angrily*

Hopefully they'll do a headlining tour in the US soon, and just hit small clubs.

No, I'm not going to the one at Pops. That's like a 4+ hour drive for me.

The Lantern Nut said:
...and so is the spitting, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it is.

The setlist isn't poor at all. Then again, COB has very few bad songs. But I loved every song they played.

If you want a bad setlist see Nevermore.

@GuitarShredder- Andy, u dont like spellbound or mourning palace?? What the fuck is wrong with you man?!!?!?!? ENTHRONE DARKNESS TRIUMPHANT is their best cd and for them to play those songs was amazing! Not to mention they also played their legendary song "Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde". Come on dude u missed the good stuff!

Jester Jake said:
@GuitarShredder- Andy, u dont like spellbound or mourning palace?? What the fuck is wrong with you man?!!?!?!? ENTHRONE DARKNESS TRIUMPHANT is their best cd and for them to play those songs was amazing! Not to mention they also played their legendary song "Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde". Come on dude u missed the good stuff!
Hmm I would have liked to have seen Raabjorn.

I dunno, I've just heard Spellbound and Mourning Palace so much they just don't seem that great anymore.

@Jester Jake, where you on the floor or the balcony? i got up to the front when the mosh pits started forming, thats the easiest to go i think. i was on the left side right by the speakers. and if you saw a security dude stand on the railing during Dimmu's set i think it was then he was standing right in front of me....i couldnt see around the fuck!