The Chicago Show

Erunantalon said:
I was in the Owner's Box on the right side of the stage. Both Opeth and Porcupine Tree put on an awesome show. It's my third time seeing Opeth though so it wasn't a surprise. Steven Wilson was funny and Mikael as well. It was especially funny when he was setting up "Soldier of Fortune."

Mikael: (to Per Wilberg) "Spiritual Beggars is influenced by Deep Purple right?"

PW: "No, not really."

Mikael: "Well fuck you then."

I laughed out loud. Great show all around. I can die a happy person now.

you were seriously in the owners box too? I was in there, tall guy with an in flames shirt on, I was sitting closest to the stage out of the 3 peolple i was with.

Yes indeed it was an entertaining show. My drummer Joe and I showed up just as PT were starting, and I was blown away by them live. I'd never seen them before and they really surprised me at how powerful they were live, it was a great surprise.
Yes the bass was too loud....when youre sitting in the mezzanine as I was, and certain bass notes just make your entire head rattle to the point where your vision gets blurry, then yes its too loud LOL Still and all, it sounded great overall...
And I liked the whole assigned seating thing, personally. It was a change of pace and all....I have a feeling sitting in the balcony might have fared better than sitting on the main floor, because at least the balcony rows raise you above the row in front of you, and so on....also wasn't as much chattering going on during the show up there (other than the previously mentioned knuckleheads shouting out things in-between songs)....
I got the biggest chuckle out of the fact that they played a Coverdale-era Deep Purple song.....at long last, Mike gets to sing some Coverdale on stage (like he always wanted) Now Mike, about those "Slip of the Tongue" guitar solos you've mastered lol......the DP cover sounded great though, seriously.
Seeing them with Per guesting on keys & backing vox was killer.....the new Spiritual Beggars cd is fantastic, I recommend it.
Overall a very memorable show, definately!

Please tell me *someone* managed to pull off a decent sounding recording of this show! Both sets and bands were absolutely amazing. I agree that there were some real boneheaded morons in the crowd, but the show was stellar. Hopefully recordings of both sets surface sometime soon.

PratlPoet said:
By any chance, did anyone tape this show??

Hey guys from Novembers Doom. Remember I meet you at ozzfest, I’ve got some friends that played a show with you at the bottom lounge. We saw you at the Opeth show as well even though I didn’t get to say hello. You told me about how Opeth had its first music video on headbangers ball. I got to see it cause its posted as a thread on this message boread. It was really funny to see you there cause you toured with them too. But I guess if you want to see this tour cause its a different outlook on there music then I understand. Yeah wow for the past 2 days I keep thinking how great that show was. It was fun as hell and I got my moneys worth.

To clarify, we never really "toured" with Opeth. We've had the good fortune of playing with them on a few occasions, and its always good fun seeing them and hanging out. As for going to see them play, I will never miss an Opeth show if I can help it, because they are one of the most consistently killer live acts out there. Even if we had done a whole tour with them, I'd still go see 'em on their own! Ya just can't get sick of Opeth haha Plus I like to hear Mike's stories of goofy drunken antics on the road lol
Only letdown I had from the show the other night was that they didn't play "Harvest", I think thats a wonderful song. But I have no complaints whatsoever about the set they did play, it was great.

you were seriously in the owners box too? I was in there, tall guy with an in flames shirt on, I was sitting closest to the stage out of the 3 peolple i was with.

Yeah, I was there with three other people as well. I'm the tall guy with the long hair, I was wearing the tour shirt. But, yeah, I remember you guys, you came up after us right?

Erunantalon said:
Yeah, I was there with three other people as well. I'm the tall guy with the long hair, I was wearing the tour shirt. But, yeah, I remember you guys, you came up after us right?

Yea we came up afterwards, I aksed you guys if I was blocking your view I think. How did you get the owners box? I got it through Miller/Chicago beverage Systems