The Chicago Show

murderedbysound

MurderedbySound
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
This Show Was Fucking Awsome. You Will Not Be Dissapointed.
Porcupine Tree Was Phenominal And Opeth Was Opeth Badass All The Way!!!

Thanks Guys For The Best Concert Ive Had!!

Well, well, well, what can a lad say about this show? I'd let the smilies do the talking, but that's too easy. :p

Porcupine Tree is now the band by which I will judge all other bands by when it comes to live performances. They were absolutely flawless, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and Steve Wilson's vocals, fuckin' a, they were spot on, the man hit every note. Trains was my easily my favorite followed by Hatesong and Strip The Soul, those Brits can flat out fucking play, I can't say it enough, see them if you can or die a horrible death. :)

As for Opeth, I have no complaints at all, after seeing Porcupine Tree give the best performance I've ever seen I knew it would be hard for me to be impressed, but fuck, it's Opeth, I'm not sure about them being off at other shows, but other than Peter hitting the wrong pedal at one point during In My Time of Need and Mikael struggling with a note here and there, they were flawless. The stand out moment of the night for me was the six or so minute extension of Closure, Mikael was so into it and the crowd responded, that will go down as one of my greatest moments at any concert. The reason I was there above all others though was of course, To Bid You Farewell, which to keep a long story short blew me away, and I was very near to tears. I was so into it they probably could have started playing some other song and I wouldn't have noticed. :lol: Face of Melinda was a great selection to close out the show, Mendez went fucking nuts, you could tell he had been saving up his head banging all night.

A fine show indeed, fine, fine, fine, if you have an opportunity to see this show, suffice to say, GO!

Holy. Crap.

That was truly an amazing freaking show. Even my friend who came with me who doesnt know the bands that well was very very impressed. Being in a small venue like this with 2 great bands was so awesome!!$* I was fully satisfied with both bands, I didn't feel like I needed more. They played a good amount of time. Man, I just keep thinking about it. Steve Wilson going nuts and his singing. Opeth doing To Bid You farewell and Face melinda was fucking mad. Those were great. Man there was so much energy by both bands. Plus they were both hilarious, Steve Wilson making fun of the metal shirts and Mikael playing beginning of Stairway. Funny stuff. Except for the fuckers in the bar that were yapping while mikael was playing alone. And that drunk fucker that kept yelling Face of Melinda. If any of you were there, say where you sat or whatever. Did you notice that there was a family there? I thought that was funny and a bunch of kids heheh.

yesyesyesyes

OK, someone needs to help me work on a time travel device so I can send myself back to 7:30pm CDT. Who's up for it?

mosquitoe said:
Except for the fuckers in the bar that were yapping while mikael was playing alone.

On more than one occasion I wanted to open-fire on the bar. Where was the security? When drunk fucks are more audible than the man on stage it’s time to start showing people the door. Ignorant bastards, thankfully they didn’t phase Mikael one bit.

Another funny moment, after To Rid The Disease I believe it was, people once again began there usual shouting of requests, one guy managed to shout over everyone else, “Play what you want.” :lol: With just a hint of defiance Mikael said, “Alright, we’ll play what we want.”

I'm so glad I got to a second show(Chicago) on this tour. Got to see PT play Trains, which they didnt in Detroit, and Opeth play some Stairway and Smoke on the Water. hehehehehe.... absolutely phenomenal. Now, to sleep for 12 hours

Oh yeah...I got a pick from both John Wesley and Peter. :):Spin::cool:

I was really pissed off at the crowd. I was sitting in the fourth row in the right side of the balcony, and this one asshole a few rows back kept yelling out "Blackwater Park" after every song. This guy was a jackass. Once he figured out the order, he would yell out "Ending Credits" or "Weakness." The mock cheers for Weakness were pretty insulting. I sensed that the crowd was starting to get impatient with the lack of heavy stuff. If I was Mike, I would have gotten really pissed off. I though Porcupine Tree got a better crowd response than Opeth. I just wanted to turn around and yell, "Start cheering, this is fucking Opeth here!" As for the actual bands, I only caught the end of PT's set. It was funny to see all the forty year olds dancing like idiots. I like PT some, but I really came for Opeth. Besides Peter hitting the wrong pedal, they were near perfect.

Speaking of Porcupine Tree, did anyone happen to catch their set last year at Martyr's? If so, what'd you think? Did the change of atmosphere (i.e., moving from a little bar to a sizeable venue) change the performance at all?

i was sitting next to a clown who kept yelling out freebird and demon of the fall...i was about to throw the fuck off the mezzanene. Useful- were you on the top or the bottom vip box? i was on the right side of the mezzanine. i was also very impressed with PT as well. at first i didnt think it was them cause of Steve, didnt he have shorter hair?

Closure was just fucking amazing and Wedding Nails. oh i wish i did bring a camera of some sort.

same setlist as always for opeth, all of damnation, then benighted, to bid you farwell, soldier of fortune,and then face of melinda.

I took a bunch of pictures from the rightside vip box i hope they came out, im getting them developed in a few days

wow, the last four songs were amazing. hopefully they'll put this tour and some other stuff on a dvd or something. the sound was pretty bad at first, but it sounds like the tech guy fixed it up nicely...benighted, tbyf, and melinda all sounded incredible...just watching mikael and peter play those different parts together was cool as hell. damnation was pretty good too.

porcupine tree...they were pretty good, but not my type of music. i had downloaded their setlist a few days before, tried to get into it but just couldn't. russia on ice and trains were very good.