The Chicago Show

MasterOLightning said:
I was really pissed off at the crowd. I was sitting in the fourth row in the right side of the balcony, and this one asshole a few rows back kept yelling out "Blackwater Park" after every song. This guy was a jackass. Once he figured out the order, he would yell out "Ending Credits" or "Weakness." The mock cheers for Weakness were pretty insulting. I sensed that the crowd was starting to get impatient with the lack of heavy stuff. If I was Mike, I would have gotten really pissed off. I though Porcupine Tree got a better crowd response than Opeth. I just wanted to turn around and yell, "Start cheering, this is fucking Opeth here!" As for the actual bands, I only caught the end of PT's set. It was funny to see all the forty year olds dancing like idiots. I like PT some, but I really came for Opeth. Besides Peter hitting the wrong pedal, they were near perfect.

You were sitting directly in front of me and my wife. Those guys were directly behind us, so I KNOW exactly what you mean!

I was wearing the Damnation tour shirt, I was with my girlfriend, she black hair and had on a black and white striped top. Was anyone else surprised at how old the audience was? I'm 17 and I felt like the youngest one there.

MasterOLightning said:
I was wearing the Damnation tour shirt, I was with my girlfriend, she black hair and had on a black and white striped top. Was anyone else surprised at how old the audience was? I'm 17 and I felt like the youngest one there.

I was a bit suprised at how many older people were there. but then again, im in my 30's, so i'm getting up there as well. haha!

hehe there were a ton of Damnation shirts, i was kinda surprised of all the older people there. heh in fact on the floor there was a older women head banging all night...im thinking she had a few to drink...but it was a great show

fuckin great show. Mikael seemed to be very pleased by the crowd reaction at the end of the show. PT got a nice hand to. funny to see the fat middle aged people dancing to them. I think i might have enjoyed PT better then Opeth. but both bands put on an amazing show.
Anyone else have a terrible case of seat-ass after the show? (seat-ass= ass hurts from sitting in those horrible ass chairs)

ok, i don't know if i'm the only one who thinks this, but did anyone else think that the bass was way to fucking loud? it was pissing me off, all i could hear was BASS and then in the background some guitar and vocals. and it was so loud i couldn't even make out the notes. i would just be hit with bass every second. i know it isn't opeth's or pt's fault and all but it really knocked down the whole live experience for me.

bleedingskeptic said:
ok, i don't know if i'm the only one who thinks this, but did anyone else think that the bass was way to fucking loud? it was pissing me off, all i could hear was BASS and then in the background some guitar and vocals. and it was so loud i couldn't even make out the notes. i would just be hit with bass every second. i know it isn't opeth's or pt's fault and all but it really knocked down the whole live experience for me.

Where in the venue were you located? I was on the second floor, second row, aisle F (maybe 10-15 feet left of center facing the stage). PT's sound was perfect from where I sat, but Opeth's cymbals a bit much. I really regretted not having brought my earplugs.

hey flaminfetus where were you at? i was in the box on the side and couldnt see the drummer one bit but i did scan the audience a few times and saw all the people sitting below me, i might have seen you

i was sitting on the first floor in peter's side of the stage in the back right near the bar (so i heard all those drunken fucks...i actually heard someone say in the middle of and opeth song "hey buddy, speak up, i can't hear you over the fucking music"...at that point i wanted blood). anyways, i don't know about the whole bass/bass drum thing. my girlfriend and i were the only ones in my little group who seemed to even notice much less mind it. i just think that the low end of both bands was overpowering and didn't fit the material. it was supposed to be a mellow show and the music was hitting really hard.

bleedingskeptic said:
i was sitting on the first floor in peter's side of the stage in the back right near the bar (so i heard all those drunken fucks...i actually heard someone say in the middle of and opeth song "hey buddy, speak up, i can't hear you over the fucking music"...at that point i wanted blood). anyways, i don't know about the whole bass/bass drum thing. my girlfriend and i were the only ones in my little group who seemed to even notice much less mind it. i just think that the low end of both bands was overpowering and didn't fit the material. it was supposed to be a mellow show and the music was hitting really hard.

I'm no sound engineer, but I think part of that has to do w/ the fact that you were *sitting* directly in front of their sub cabinets with your head below the reg cabs (as opposed to being at the same height). I'm willing to bet it'd be significantly different if you were standing the entire time.

bleedingskeptic said:

YES! On Porcupine Tree especially, there were parts where the vocals were quiet, and the bass player was the only other member playing, and thanks to the BVVVVV you couldn't hear the vocals at all! It was retarded. They could have turned it down quite a bit. (I was on Floor 3 row D Seat 6 and couldn't see the keyboard player...I dunno if that means the Subwoofer thing was my problem).

Novembers Paul said:
I was in the mezz and the bass was too loud, and vocals were to low.

Bass was definitely too loud, at least for the PT set. I was in the back left, Floor, row F, and I couldnt see anything because of these tall people in front me, so me and my buddy moved back to these two empty seats (one row back, but perfect view because it was elevated). And then this guy behind us was trying to tell the staff that we werent supposed to sit there or something =\ ... maybe it was one of you guys =). I'm pretty sure that guy was being sarcastic when he said for them to speak up because he couldn't hear them talking over the music.

UsefulIdiot127 said:
hey flaminfetus where were you at? i was in the box on the side and couldnt see the drummer one bit but i did scan the audience a few times and saw all the people sitting below me, i might have seen you
i was sitting in the mezzanene. on the right side 7th row up i think. i saw a guy in the box with a pony tail i believe i dunno if it was you or not. i was weraing a children of bodom shirt. and there was also 2 empty seats next to me. i thought the bass was fine..though in the begining the vox were alittle low but it was still good IMO.

Wow. This was my 3rd time seeing Opeth. Once at the house of Blues and once at the Eagle Ball Room. This was a diffrent kind of Opeth show. All of the lighter stuff, they did a really fucking good job and it was so nice to see them chilling and Mikeal was talking to us for long periods of time. He was just enjoying himself and it was really awesome. Porcupine tree was amazing. Very well done they sounded amazing live and I like them alot more now that I've seen them.

I was in the Owner's Box on the right side of the stage. Both Opeth and Porcupine Tree put on an awesome show. It's my third time seeing Opeth though so it wasn't a surprise. Steven Wilson was funny and Mikael as well. It was especially funny when he was setting up "Soldier of Fortune."

Mikael: (to Per Wilberg) "Spiritual Beggars is influenced by Deep Purple right?"

PW: "No, not really."

Mikael: "Well fuck you then."

I laughed out loud. Great show all around. I can die a happy person now.

The show was great. I loved everything about it. PT was fantastic, completely amazing, but Opeth was god-like. I had 3 quirks with the show...

1. The Chairs! WHY!?!

2. Two tall as hell ogres sitting infront of us - made it really hard to see. We were sitting in Floor 1 row E...damn tall people.

3. And finally...the assholes at the bar, which has been discussed at length...so I will spare the whining.

Overall. I loved the show, and I am awaiting for the next one. So, thank you both, PT and Opeth for a great night!