Chicks Growling

sinisterbass

New Metal Member
Mar 18, 2006
Flagstaff, AZ
what do you all think of this..

I'm not big on it.. I am a bassist and vocalist and, yes, I've been known to scream, but I use it sparingly for accenting certain parts and I never growl.. I tend to leave that to the guys..

I ask the same thing about guys in bands doing the Cookie Monster vocal style:

"Doesn't anyone just SING anymore?" :kickass:

I wish I could sing....so instead I just scream....
But chicks growling is awesome. As long as it sounds like a girl. Plus I hate it when the female "growling" vocals are over produced. It sounds so fake.

This might see me taking some grief but I'll own up to liking some Kittie and Arch Enemy. I don't care if a female growler sound male or female! Just make an authentic sound that's heavy. If it sounds good then it is good.

IMO it's great to see female fronted metal bands because both sexes make up the metal scene. There are some crazy chicks out there into the heaviest shit. Supporting the scene, going to the same death metal gigs as me etc blah blah blah....

Hopefully the music industry will support bands with female growlers as well as the clean vocal types.

There was an all female band here in Australia called Tribal Clown with great playing and some good heavy authentic growling that I thought should have been signed. I wonder if they are still around???

Peace,
DHD

Angela from Arch Enemy and that one girl from Kittie aren't very impressive at all. They lack tone and range especially. Growling is pretty much a guy thing. It originates from death metal, which uses low-end growls, which guys can reach a lot easier than the ladies can. Girls in black metal bands or screamo bands? That might work easier, since they both require high-pitches screams.

I'm an Arch Enemy fan. I think it's great to see more chicks getting into the metal scene... and not just as consumers, either.
Definitely curious about that Tribal Clown. I'd try and look into it

I prefere when a female actually sing and sounds good.

Females are not nearly as good as some of the best growlers in the world.

ConvergeNerd said:
Angela from Arch Enemy and that one girl from Kittie aren't very impressive at all. They lack tone and range especially. Growling is pretty much a guy thing. It originates from death metal, which uses low-end growls, which guys can reach a lot easier than the ladies can. Girls in black metal bands or screamo bands? That might work easier, since they both require high-pitches screams.
Now that sounds like discrimination to me

there is a vital thing wrong with your point ConvergeNerd. A death metal band doesn't HAVE to have low end growls. same as not all black metal has higher screams. deep Vocals don't make it death metal.

I'm a chick...tried growling...can't do it for long...or very well...ouch....my voice is trained to sing more operatic like...

Uh..chicks growling is strange...guys growling is ...alot of things..depends how I feel.. for the most part its usually kickass or kinda hot..ohhh yea...

metal_monkey said:
I'm a chick...tried growling...can't do it for long...or very well...ouch....my voice is trained to sing more operatic like...

Uh..chicks growling is strange...guys growling is ...alot of things..depends how I feel.. for the most part its usually kickass or kinda hot..ohhh yea...
Keep practicing, the more you do it, the better it will get, just remember to drink alot while practicing

Thanks guys...but I don't think I am cut out for growling

Oh and btw Black Core I've been meaning to say this...I LOVE your avatar!!! Its friggin' hilarious!!

metal_monkey said:

Yeah chicks growling is... gross. :erk: