Childhood Misconceptions.

Dec 29, 2006
Pennsylvania.
I was remembering earlier some of the ridiculous misconceptions I had about the world when I was a little tyke. Specifically, when I was about of nursery school age (no older than five, barley old enough to remember). I'm sure that I had many, but the ones that I recalled today were:

- When I was very little, we visited my Pop-Pop (maternal Grandfather) a lot. He was from Queens and lived close to JFK, so I got to see a lot of very low flying planes when I was there. Therefore, I concluded that planes in New York where a lot bigger than planes in Pennsylvania. A lot bigger.

- I was also at Pop-Pop's when I came to the conclusion that blue and purple had been switched. I was coloring with my cousin, and I recall picking up or being handed a purple crayon, when the color I really desired was blue, which, as far as I was concerned, was called purple. Logically, I concluded that whoever was in charge of the colors had decided that blue and purple should swap names. I was annoyed, because I liked blue when it was called purple and I liked purple when it was called blue. This one, now, probably confuses me the most, because I have no idea where the fuck I got the idea that blue was originally called purple and vice versa.

- I thought there were two number tens. That is, when you were counting, you'd come to the number ten twice, since it obviously existed twice. My rationale for this was that ten was obviously the hugest number there was. In nursery school, that's about as high as you count, and that's how many fingers you have, so it made sense to me. Ten was the difference between being a kid and being a grownup. When you were ten, you were a grownup, like my Dad. I also knew that my big brother was ten, and that he was clearly not a grownup. Therefore, I concluded that there was two tens, and I told this to my Dad (who responded by saying "okay"). I thought this was a dumb and confusing system.

So, what were some of your bizarre childhood misconceptions? And "I used to think there was a God LOL" doesn't count. Sorry, Cookiecutter.

I had refused to eat guacamole because I thought it was the same thing as that green stuff that was in boiled lobster. Now I like both.

I loved fish sticks until I turned six and my parents told me they were made of fish. :zombie:

My closet door always had to be closed at night so the monster couldn't escape.

When my family used to use this old pop corn maker, I thought it just magically spat out popcorn. Because I never saw the kernels go in.

Very interesting thread, TIACN. For some reason, I've never really bothered to look at my childhood that way, so as someone who avidly documents his life through journals and such, I'm quite disappointed in myself. I'm sure I had stuff like that happen when I was younger, but it'll take me a while to recall.

I thought that the little yellow bumps in the road were the hard hats of workers that got ran over sticking out of the ground.

:lol: That's awesome.

Are you fucking serious?

liar.jpg