Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

I just sent him this, I think it's ok.

You use an iconic Children Of Bodom melody from their song Children Of Decadence on this track. It's being discussed on their message board. Fans of COB are protective over their original ideas. In fact a direct sample of this melody was used by a rapper, Chakuza, on his song Killamusic, without permission, and he ended up in some sort of trouble.

Let us know the answer please - in case of you will get one

Mourning Palace was used by Bushido for his Arschfick Song. He had to pay a lot of cash after they found out.

Why is it that I only see german hiphoppers ripping off songs?

Well, Dimmus melodies are also sacred, especially mourning palace (I'm not sure if this song was also used as a rip-off though). And Bodom is not the only metal band with great melodies. I'm not a big fan of black metal but I have to accept that the big BM bands (like Dimmu or CoF) have some great melodies in their songs but whatever. And to be honest, I don't want to know how many metal used parts of dance/trance/techno/pop/etc... songs for their own songs. I for myself don't really listen to any kind of dance/trance... but all this trance nation CD's or however they are called have 80% of songs with some cool melodies which I often try to get down with my guitar.

Well yes for sure this dance / trance world is all about icecream melodies so they have to do a lot of inspection on the melody area. Here's one example of how a trance melody can be turned into a great guitar melody: 1:52 & 2:47 (if only the vocalist would shut the fuck up)

(It's a metal remix of Pina Colada by the guy who has some great COB covers as well.)

Couple years ago I found a dance song with a lady making a choir of what was eerily resembling to the Northern Comfort melody, but no idea how to find it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that some melodies from trance or other electronic music would make awesome guitar melodies in a metal song. For example the vocal melodies in the song below. I know it's originally from Touhou 4 but this is an excellent version of the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time ago since I made my last cover... Anyways, it went out a bit bassy and the vst I used for my guitars gives me a really cool nasty bastard tone but it also made my tone really "unclean" and muddy. The original tone was clean as fuck but sucked really bad (recorded it with a Line6 POD). [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE9El8iRP2s&list=UUiqdBALEqxnf-sbyo_BITGw&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

More juicy?

You are one of those who play the covers exactly like Alexi, with the same sound too, so it's basically like listening to the song. I always look for interesting tones etc in guitar covers. Of course, why should you play the notes "wrong" or use a "wrong" tone, you must think.

Well, in most of COB's songs you can't change notes or something. Especially in songs like trashed where you doesn't have that much harmonies but more trashy chords. You can always add some extra sweeps, harmonics, other harmony parts, etc. but in most cases it won't sound good at all. I have never seen any COB cover where somebody changend something or add some extra licks where I could say it sounds good. Tonewise I prefer Alexis over any other so it's clear that I try to get a similar tone. And from beginning till now my aim was it to show people how to play every COB song. That's the main reason why I try to play every note 1:1 and in the same frets. Besides that I think I'm the only one on Youtube who always plays both guitars - should be interesting enough to see, or? ;)

I hear you, well I wouldn't worry about the styles and shit if only I could play like that. Judging by your covers I can see why you're a fan of the Relentless Reckless Forever "ideology" where the technique comes as first priority. Let's say that when I look for covers I'd like to see the northern lights in the background and some experimental guitar tone and stuff, even if the playing wasn't exactly the original. Maybe I've listened to the songs to death so for me it's exciting to hear people do wacky stuff with covers or just have their instrument volume eclipse the vocals etc.

But I still love to look for covers that have a powerful guitar sound quality and and a tone different to Alexi's. Lots of cover players out there that have the playing skills but very bad sound quality in the video due to the recording device and everything.