Children of Bodom - Cover Thread

My other covers...
-Are you dead yet [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=pOLTfUMMxPM[/ame]
-Children of Bodom stuff [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PR606qQrLx8[/ame]
-Alexi Laiho stuff [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9yLI9Jx88[/ame]

I re-recorded Kissing the Shadows intro with my Korg PX4D today. I posted one clip f it a week ago, but it totally sucked, this is one is much better and I am very happy with the recorded sound that I get!

Here's the link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vqg0en

Please check it out and comment on the sound.

If anyone cares, I recorded the intro twice....totally panned to the left is my Grover Jackson RR guitar and totally on the right is my Jackson Stars CS RR. Both of them went to the KORG PX4D with the same settings and both of them had J50BC+JE1000 set the same. Only differencies were that Grover Jackson is made out of the poplar (same as Alexi's) and Jackson Stars out of alder (Alex nowadays). J50BC were a little bit different too...older vs. a bit newer style...don't know how mcuh that matters. I notice more change between the guitars through my Peavey 5150 halfstack than through the digital Korg PX4D.

Oh, and big thanks to the Epi for backing track! :kickass:

Mitch...phaseout set to 4.0 ;).

Definitely gotta vibrato more on those pinch harmonics, they sound too weak!!

And the sound sounds a little gainy imo, I'd say either take the gain down, take the JE-1000 off or lower the PHASOUT. It's got this very "wet" sound which is the opposite of old COB sound.

And on a sound topic, I finally switched pickups in both guitars today and I think there's a tiny bit of difference but it's not huge. I think it's the body wood of the BC Rich that makes the J-50BC sound awesome and the alder that makes it sound too muddy and overdriven. I'm assuming it must be poplar or something.

Yeeah-ya finally I've been waiting for this thread - CoB violin covers incoming as soon as I get some time off from school ^_______^ I'll check all the vids eventually, but for now I'm seeing some nice stuff here, keep it up everyone!

BTW my compliments to Children of COB for nice playing of the Hellion solo.

And on a sound topic, I finally switched pickups in both guitars today and I think there's a tiny bit of difference but it's not huge. I think it's the body wood of the BC Rich that makes the J-50BC sound awesome and the alder that makes it sound too muddy and overdriven. I'm assuming it must be poplar or something.

Nice! Which brand of P-ups did you go for?

Yeeah-ya finally I've been waiting for this thread - CoB violin covers incoming as soon as I get some time off from school ^_______^

Glad you like the thread :D Can't wait for the violin vids! :D

Definitely gotta vibrato more on those pinch harmonics, they sound too weak!!

And the sound sounds a little gainy imo, I'd say either take the gain down, take the JE-1000 off or lower the PHASOUT. It's got this very "wet" sound which is the opposite of old COB sound.

I had gain on 6.0. The funny thing is that the sound of my guitar through the speakers (same ones as yours lol) totally sucks! It sounds like overdrive, not distortion, and it is very "hollow" souding...far from how it sounds when recorded :S. Is yours the same?

Yeeah-ya finally I've been waiting for this thread - CoB violin covers incoming as soon as I get some time off from school ^_______^ I'll check all the vids eventually, but for now I'm seeing some nice stuff here, keep it up everyone!

BTW my compliments to Children of COB for nice playing of the Hellion solo.

Nice! Which brand of P-ups did you go for?

He swapped the J50BC on his BC Rich and the J50BC on his Jackson Stars, ;)

Yeah, that's right. I have a J50Bc in both but they both sounded different so I swapped them to see if it was the pickups making the difference, or the woods of the guitars.

Nazgul: My sound is pretty much the same when I record and when I'm just playing through the speakers. If the recording volume is set right, then it'll sound exactly the same. Are you using "mic" to record or "line in"? I'm using line in but if you are too, then maybe it's your sound card or something. I bought one especially for musical purposes so it's better than most standard ones.

Yeah, that's right. I have a J50Bc in both but they both sounded different so I swapped them to see if it was the pickups making the difference, or the woods of the guitars.

Ahh right! :)

Also, I've had a cool idea for this thread!

I was thinking, someone (probably me) will think of a certain section from a COB song every week or so, and people can record it and we can compare them all.. Does that sound good?