Children Of Men

I might get to see Inland Empire at the Kodak Theatre and see David Lynch and some nonsense musician that night as well.

*crossing fingers...not holding much hope though*
I want to see this and pan's labyrinth so bad but I live in a hick state and they aren't playing. :erk:

Interestingly, while the context was set in the future, the harsh reality was based heavily on sentiments of Nazi Germany.

I think the ending is perfect. There is a certain comfort in the unknown, and I found it almost impossible to feel anything but empathy and hope for where the mist was to lead. If the ending was to be more defined, the power would have been lost.

Saw it last night too. Good, but not great. Kinda reminded me of 1984 crossed with Schindler's List crossed with Saving Private Ryan, but not as good as any of those stories. Great camera work, as someone already alluded to, and I did get a bit misty during the part when they come down the stairs by the soldiers with Dillon. But the ending left a lot to be desired, I didn't sympathize much with the main characters, and it seems like they kind of expected you to accept the whole entire-planet-is-now-infertile concept with a grain of salt and little to no explanation.

How cynical. One of the base problems with modern movie making is the A->B->C way of telling a story, I think when the capacity for us to use our imagination is invoked then the film begins to have a much more personal impact. I think the various films you noted allow for an interesting comparison, but Children of Men surpasses all three in tone, emotion and technical direction. There is no one dimensional exploration of what it is to be human in this movie, only a question put to the human spirit which is never quite answered. Quite fittingly, in my lowly opinion.

Pans Labyrinth is also one of the most accomplished movies of last year, I enjoyed it a great deal.

I just saw this a few hours ago..holy shite. This and The Fountain are by far the best films I have seen during the last several years, mostly due to the intensity and sheer power of the movie. The music was perfect, too...

Before I actually watched this movie, my legs gave out in the middle of the road, and I fell flat on my face. I almost smashed my face into the concrete, it was grand. I was pretty rattled from the start, and toward the end, I was shuddering. This movie was fucking intense, and this idea of our future doesn't seem so outlandish...at the rate we're going..

I don't think they could have released this at a better time...what with the current events and all. Maybe this movie will help open some blind eyes.

Reactions: flying_whale
i finaly watched it. such a good movie. I almost cried at the end when he takes out the baby and everything stops, the army stops and they kneel. so powerful.
One of the ideas of the movie is that there is more goodness in the people with no power, rather than people with power. take marika for example and everyone in there, they had no power, but gave all they had to save that kid for a good cause, yet the government, the uprising who all had some power didn't do anything they didn't give a fuck, they saw their politics and shit went well.
If the movie didn't have subtitles for the scenes in the camp in which marika spoke in romanian, you missed a whole lot. after she discovers the baby, everything she says and does is about to make sure the baby will survive. The photography when they get to marika's safe house before they depart for the boat is so impressive.
10/10 for this movie

Yep yep...that is why Marika is my favorite character :D

Well...I can't say that! I like the old man, too (his name slips my mind at the moment).
It was painful watching his final scene...geeze :erk:

Which was for the comic relief, he's suprisingly good in that.

Regardless, Caine is a living legend - a fact cemented by his wonderful turn in Children of Men, completely rendered, heartfelt and funny. Not many actors can pull that off.