www.royalcarnage.com
I swear, the next place I buy, I'm going to make sure I can accomodate:

music system
speakers
turntable
plasma tv
infra-red surround sound
etc

My house today is just crap with the room layout, it's like a labyrinth. I can't get my music set up the way I want it. I just need large rooms as opposed to lots of small rooms and coves.

Thing is, it's all I could have afforded at the time. I'll do better next time.

When buying/renting your house or apartment, did you take these things into consideration?

JayKeeley said:
When buying/renting your house or apartment, did you take these things into consideration?
No. However, in NJ, where we bought, the new construction was no more expensive than older homes. In newer style homes, you couldn't even get a lot of small rooms and coves if you wanted it.

Zod

what's infra-red surround sound? Is it special or just wireless?
anyway, no, I bought our house for various reasons, none of which were how my entertainment system would be set-up. In fact, the one I had in '04 has been all but completely replaced. You don't really need that much room Jay. Are you saying you want to hear the music all over the house or something? My buddy did that by putting in some kind of fancy-schmancy ceiling speaker system all over the house. All his componentry is in some closet in the hallway. I don't know how his remote works. But in the end, it sounds like shit. I watched a movie over there once and was like, "meh, what a waste of money."

Erik said:
next place you buy? you gonna move?

Eventually, yeah. Aside from the house in London, this is my first buy in New York. I just needed to get on the property ladder.

dorian gray said:
what's infra-red surround sound? Is it special or just wireless?

Yeah just wireless, I've had enough of wire and cable.

anyway, no, I bought our house for various reasons, none of which were how my entertainment system would be set-up. In fact, the one I had in '04 has been all but completely replaced. You don't really need that much room Jay. Are you saying you want to hear the music all over the house or something?

My first criteria to buy the house was location, no doubt. And it was the best one we could afford. I don't need to hear music all over the house, I just want a room dedicated to capturing the best sound. Right now, I have too many openings, doors, corners, etc.

I just want one big room, sealed off from the rest of the world. :cool:

I dig. For me, that would mean a garage and perhaps a loft above it. The wife would never see me. Not that she would care.

are you looking to stay in the NY area or are you moving elsewhere?

Sidenote: does anyone live in the northwest? the wife loved seattle when she visited, and ive read oregon and washington are beauutiful places. though i did oregon's unemployment was rather high a few years ago. might have changed.

J. said:
are you looking to stay in the NY area or are you moving elsewhere?

Sidenote: does anyone live in the northwest? the wife loved seattle when she visited, and ive read oregon and washington are beauutiful places. though i did oregon's unemployment was rather high a few years ago. might have changed.

Any time you get near the east or west coast the price of housing is going to be about 4 to 5 times what you're paying now . . . at the least. Seattle house prices would make you shit. They're almost as bad as LA, SF, NYC, etc. You generally have to get several hours inland to get prices even close to what you pay in the midwest and the south.

As far as I can tell, the south (including Texas and the Carolinas) is still the cheap place to buy land and housing. Many a retiree has moved to the south from some other part of the country because of this. So have many businesses.

I'd like to live on one of the coasts too but what's the point? I can spend every cent I make on housing so I can see some nice vistas? Too bad I'll be working all the time and won't be able to even see the light of day.

I have a feeling the quality of life for middle income folks on the coasts is shit. In Seattle, my family would be holed up in a shitty apartment or in some nondescript place in the burbs. Here in Nashville, I walk to NHL hockey games, live in a house that's featured in magazines, and have enough money left over to support two other people who don't work. Take your pick.

I don't think I'd leave NY unless we were hitting absolute rock bottom. I'm feeling the pinch now (because these goddamn 3% pay increases over the last 3-4 years have gone right down the toilet on cost of living), but perhaps when the wife starts working again, things will relax a little.

dorian gray said:
Here in Nashville, I walk to NHL hockey games, live in a house that's featured in magazines, and have enough money left over to support two other people who don't work. Take your pick.

Yeah...but it's Nashville. :loco:

Yeah, good ol 3% increases. They aren't even in line with increases in gas prices. You actually end up making less money than before the raise :erk:

haha I assume you're joking about the Nashville jibe. The only other city I'd consider moving to in the US is Asheville, NC.

J. said:
portland is pretty damn awesome and i think it's pretty cheap compared to a lot of places like the bay area and seattle. i'll be moving into my own apartment finally in january or february so we'll see how that goes.