Chris Lord-Alge video about SSL

Interesting! some words about SSL
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxlKR-C_fag&feature=related[/ame]
I love the quote: "when you're in front of a screen and a mouse you feel like a telephone operator!" lol
And apparently even hot girl love mixing, just look at the first minutes of the video and you'll realize.

A telephone operator??

operator.jpg

Yup. Totally like a computer.

:lol:

That telephone operator would surely know how to patch outboard onto an SSL board better than an ITB DAW user :)

I think it's down to what you're accustomed to. I started recording and using DAWs in 1998 (I believe Cakewalk was the first one I touched) and just got used to working with keyboard, mouse and GUI.

The older guys who are used to using analog mixers and automating faders with their fingers are used to mixing that way. So I guess it comes down to personal preference and efficiency of workflow.

Technology and computing power will eventually enable us to get the "analog" sound ITB and it will be a matter of time before everyone will use DAWs anyway.

He lost me at the stop>start thing, who cares really?

Also the total recall thing looks like it takes ages.

Öwen;10062645 said:
He lost me at the stop>start thing, who cares really?

Also the total recall thing looks like it takes ages.

Well i thought that the start stop thing is exactly as it is in PT (not hd10)
It is clearly a delay on the start/stop when he is using the SSL haha

TR Is a bitch! lol the funny thing is, it's really not changed on the duality!

I'd love a E/G though!

Well i thought that the start stop thing is exactly as it is in PT (not hd10)
It is clearly a delay on the start/stop when he is using the SSL haha

Yeah, I just don't see it as that big a deal, although I guess someone out there is gonna complain about something tiny like that one way or the other.

Don't get me wrong I love CLA mixes just this video offered nothing in the way of anything even semi-informative.

Öwen;10062662 said:
Don't get me wrong I love CLA mixes just this video offered nothing in the way of anything even semi-informative.

+1 i bet those kids were all like OMG HES GIVING US ALL THE SPECIAL INFORMATION IF ONLY I COULD UNDERSTAND IT/PUT IT IN CONTEXT I COULD BE THE NEXT BEST MIXIER, but really there is no real info in that video.

He totally lost me on the transport bit.

Let's me explain it to you Ermin;)

When syncing a legacy ssl (4000 E/G+, 9000J/K) with PT, you use smpte signal.
You need 3 thing for that: put PT online, have a sync I/O, and have a smart 2box or The konector box for talking with ssl computer (ssl computer work with tape machine, so this box trick the computer to think you using a tape machine).

Now you can have ssl as master/PT as slave. You operate PT same way you operate a tape machine via ssl transport. So you need to rewind/fast forward PT. PT will chasse timecode in this case.
This method work great when you use PT as a tape machine, but when you press play; you get a delay.

Or you can have PT as master/ssl as slave. In this case ssl computer will chasse timecode. No rewind/fast forward time, press space bar for hit play...etc. The normal way PT work.
But oldschool guy hate it setup this way.

That why CLA transfer to his 3348 and use this as format (using tape). And TLA only use his 3348 as DA converter, PT as master/ssl as slave.
Two brother and two opposite way to work. Just a workflow choice...

A sort of off topic (although still relevant, because it's CLA we are talking about), I read a few days ago an excerpt from an interview with him, where he says he's using Fairchild and LA3 comps for heavy gits, but Fairchild being his choice No1. Don't have the latter, but I do have the T-Racks' Fairchild emu, so I'll try it on a mix. Will be interesting to see how it turns out!

Mikaël-ange;10062880 said:
Let's me explain it to you Ermin;)

When syncing a legacy ssl (4000 E/G+, 9000J/K) with PT, you use smpte signal.
You need 3 thing for that: put PT online, have a sync I/O, and have a smart 2box or The konector box for talking with ssl computer (ssl computer work with tape machine, so this box trick the computer to think you using a tape machine).

Now you can have ssl as master/PT as slave. You operate PT same way you operate a tape machine via ssl transport. So you need to rewind/fast forward PT. PT will chasse timecode in this case.
This method work great when you use PT as a tape machine, but when you press play; you get a delay.

Or you can have PT as master/ssl as slave. In this case ssl computer will chasse timecode. No rewind/fast forward time, press space bar for hit play...etc. The normal way PT work.
But oldschool guy hate it setup this way.

That why CLA transfer to his 3348 and use this as format (using tape). And TLA only use his 3348 as DA converter, PT as master/ssl as slave.
Two brother and two opposite way to work. Just a workflow choice...

Sure. Thanks for the rundown, but this video gives the impression that he's saying entirely ITB transport is somehow slower, if you're using keyboard/mouse control. That's the part where he lost me.