ChromeShift

Burke

Oct 14, 2002
South Florida
When I bought the Critical Energy DVD by THRESHOLD from Laser CD in Jersey, I grabbed a few disc for the heck of it based on their write-ups on the site. FINALLY got Suncaged's debut which is pretty sweet (they had just about my fav song on the Prog Power sampler disc last year) and a few discs that ended up being 'yeah, that's about what I thought' kinda discs....

BUT. I got the '03 debut from this band out of Denmark called CHROMESHIFT.
:OMG:

Usually, discs by new bands take me a few turns to make an estimation on - I don't if it was the specific day I listened to it or what but I was REALLY grabbed by this disc on the very first spin.

First off, was glad that my first reaction upon hearing the singer was not that typical 'Hey, this guy sounds like Geoff Tate...' thing that seems to happen so often. He's got a fairly unique voice and I'd say at times sounds somewhat like Damian Wilson (ex Threshold). But his style and the way he sings seems to be more Prog ROCK to me. Which is kinda neat when you hit a portion of the song that has nice heavy riffs ala Dream Theater back around the Images and Awake era.

Good mixture of some heavier riffs, but then some really nice and deft piano work and more laid back sounds. All in all I just really like the combo.

The last song is a four-part story type deal sort of in the Ayreon frame and it kicks major butt. The second song, New Moon, I think is my favorite - awesome!

Went to their site and thankfully, although they lost their keyboardist (which would have really made me nervous years back but look at Enchant now right?) they are working on their follow-up. And I am definitely anxious to hear it. Even though it came out last year, this one might ride it out for the rest of this year and make it into my top 5 for '04.:headbang: