Chuck's guest appearances

one man

Jul 4, 2002
Poland
Visit site
I think it's safe to assume that most of us here are probably fans of Chuck's voice. Therefore, I thought it would be cool to gather here all of his performances (as a lead singer or doing just back up vocals) on other artists' songs. Here's what I recall.

1. [1989] MORDRED - Fool's Game. I can't remember what song Chuck did backing vocals on. It might have been the whole album (or all of the songs that have gang choruses, anyway) - it's not been specified in the CD's booklet (there is a bunch of back up vocalists there BTW, incl. M. Coons from Laaz Rockit).

2. [1996] JAMES MURPHY - Convergence. Here Chuck sings the wonderful ballad, Touching the Earth. Supporting him is Michelle Rae Dean.

3. [1998] STUCK MOJO - Rising. Chuck did back up shouts on the Atlanta-based rap metal pioneers' song Back in the Saddle.

4. [1999] JAMES MURPHY - Feeding the Machine. This time Chuck sang a heavier song on James' solo album (but not The Gathering heavy like, more modern). The title is No One Can Tell You. Unfortunately, it's not up on YT. I've got this album on a cassette and haven't listened to it in quite a few years. If my memory serves me well, there was some reference in the guitars to Testament's Last Call (it might have been on another song off that album).

(edit: found it on YT):

5. [2006] SADUS - Out for Blood. Main vocals on Crazy.

6. [2008] LIGHT THIS CITY - Stormhaser. Co-vocalist on Firehaven. I wonder how this collaboration with a metalcore band came about. Chuck's singing is pretty different than what we're used to here.

7. [2009] SUSPERIA - Attitude. This, in turn, was not a surprise at all. I really like the duel of Chuck an Athera on Live My Dreams, even if this album may not be Susperia's best.

8. [2010] FORBIDDEN - Omega Wave. Yet another shouted gang vox for fellow Bay Area Thrashers. You don't hear much Chuck there (but you can distinguish him and Zetro, of course), but it's still cool that the old friends gather from time to time and do some choruses on each other's records from time to time.

Ok, that's all I can remember for now. I think Chuck must have done more backing up vocals for other Bay Area bands, but can't think of more songs off the top of my head. Feel free to supplement the list.

Last edited:
Obviously, we all know that a few years back Chuck was contacted by a company that's doing all these compilations and tributes. He has recorded for them vocals for a couple of songs (without even being in the same room with the other musicians playing the songs). Anyway, to have this thread complete, here they are:

1. [2001] Seek and Destroy (Metallica Cover) - The Blackest Album (Jack E. Lee's also on this song). I believe this was on several Metallica tributes, incl. the 2001's Metallic Assault by Big Eye Music (re-released in 2006) and the 2007's the Blackest Box - The Ultimate Metallica Tribute (Cleopatra Records). Back when this was released I remember wishing Chuck had used his old school, cleaner and shrieky voice (like in The Haunting or Raging Waters) to show everybody he's better at such singing than James. Now I'm satisfied he did it his own way.

2. [2004] Holier than Thou - Metallica Cover (with Alex). The song appears on Big Deal's Metallic Attack: The Ultimate Tribute. I love this cover. The whole album is good, with Death Angel doing Trapped Under Ice and Dark Angel covering Creeping Death.

3. [2005] Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden Cover (with Mikkey Dee inter alia). This is on Numbers from the Beast: An All-Star Tribute to Iron Maiden.

4. [2008] Silent Night - we all remember Chuck's take on that Christmas Carol (with Johnny Tempesta and Scott Ian) We Wish You a Metal Christmas and Headbanging New Year by Armoury Records. What's interesting is that initially Chuck had sung it with his melodic voice, but the label demanded that it be done with the use of the death voice. I wonder what the previous version sounded like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, to complete that, the live performances. Here's what comes to my mind:

1. [2003] Joining Judas Priest at the House of Blues to perform "Rapid Fire". There's only this short clip from Ms. Anthrope on YT:

We all remember that's the song Testament had brilliantly covered in 1996 with Greg on bass, James on lead guitar and Chris Kontos on the drums.

2. [2003] Chuck and Zetro joined Joey Belladonna from ANTHRAX at Bourbon Street, Concord, CA June 23, 2003 to sing Antisocial:

2. [2004] Filling in for Exodus' temporary vocalist Steev Esquivel (of Defiance fame). This was on a very short notice due to Steev's accident (October 28, 2004 at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco, opening for Megadeth). This was rather surprising, given what people would always think about the relations between Exo and Testa. I remember seeing a feature of that performance somewhere, but can't find it now. Here's the thread about that show: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/testament/172443-chuck-singing-exodus-tonight.html.

3. [2008] On November 29th, 2008 Chuck joined his friends in Death Angel to perform Metallica's Trapped Under Ice at the benefit concert for Deftones Chi Cheng. Mark's voice is much more audible in this recording than Chuck's:

4. [2010] Chuck appeared as the Planet Smasher during Devin Townsend's performance at Tuska Open Air Metal Festival 2010 in Helsinki:

Here's the Testament cover from the 1994's Dog Faced Gods Single (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Testament/Dog_Faced_Gods/21691):

I'm sure there's much more of this out there (didn't Chuck perform with Susperia once? Or was it Soilwork? I know Athera joined Testament on a couple of occasions to perform DNR and perhaps some other stuff, but B. Strid also did Into the Pit with them once). Anyway, it's high time he joined Aerosmith for Draw the Line and Nobody's Fault :)

Here's some bonus stuff

NYE 2010 - Phil Kennenmore Benefit Concert - Chuck, Greg, Paul and Zetro do "Ace of Spades":

Earlier in 2010 Chuck appeared during Anthrax's performance of the Indians at The Gibson Amphitheatre in Los Angeles, California on October 21, 2010:

Of course, there was this whole Dimebash 2010 thing where Chuck sang Pantera and Slayer (October 29th, 2010 at Key Club on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California). Here are links to posts with videos of that event: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/testament/560295-next-testament-cd-11.html#post9727349 and http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/testament/560295-next-testament-cd-11.html#post9733370.

Good lord dude, you put a lot of work into this. Thanks for posting the links. Many of which I wasn't aware of.

Cool. I'm glad there's some new stuff for you to hear there. I think it's good to have such a thread for the future and put all Chuck's cameos and guest performances here.

Wow! are you on vacation? lol

I know there is more to this but I don't have time right now.

Also James Murphy's Feeding the Machine album.Chuck sang on No one can tell you.I couldn't find it.I bet you can!

Wow! are you on vacation? lol

I know there is more to this but I don't have time right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTSjwA9fjaQ

Also James Murphy's Feeding the Machine album.Chuck sang on No one can tell you.I couldn't find it.I bet you can!

:lol: Quite the contrary. I've got a shitload of work to do and just can't get to it, hence this thread.

As for Dimebash - I've posted a link to yours and mine comments in the Next Testament CD thread, both of which contain links to I think all the songs Chuck sang that night (btw, isn't it funny how that thread has become a general discussion thread, with Dimebash, Flotsam's new album, Megadeth's guitarists etc.? :loco:)

No One Can Tell You is in my 1st post actually - on position no.4. I didn't manage to find it on YT, unfortunately, which is why it's easy to omit this item while looking at the list in the said post.

He'll also be on the new Hatriot cd from Zetro.

Very cool to hear that. It's kind of natural for them to work together these days, isn't it? Let's hope it'll be a vocal duel between them rather than just some backing up shouts in the chorus.

I missed your first post about the song from Feeding The Machine,oops.I have the cd but no idea how to upload.

I know lol,many of the threads branch around..especially the ones I start! oh well :)

The stuff I heard from Hatriot sounds pretty good.I hope the song Chuck is on has lots of lines for him also.

I just hope the Hatriot song is better than the lame second DDP album.

I really want to see that Exodus show, somebody somewhere has to have it recorded.

well chuck's guest appearance on the Hatriot album is very minimal.

It's on "And Your Children to be Damned"

A few lines.

Like 3 lines, one is backing, and it's not really singing. Its more like talking. It fits the song though.

All of you Bay Area folks probably know that a couple of days ago there was a Jason Becker tribute concert in SF. I read somewhere Chuck would be doing a song there with the Ozzy guitarist, Gus G. Has anyone heard anything about it? There's little feature from that show on YT, and no Chuck.

The highlight is obviously Dave White (HEATHEN) doing a Deep Purple song with Steve Morse. Since his fellow thrasher took part in it perhaps Chuck also was there and we've yet to see the footage.

What makes this even more probable are those 2 pictures:

1. Here's today's picture of Gus G and Alex Skolnick from NAMM: https://twitter.com/Gorbird/status/295551679066157057/photo/1

2. And here's a picture of Gus Ge and Dave Lopez (the man who organized the Jason Becker show) from right before the show. See the background ;): http://instagram.com/p/U1_lVckoqU/

One more thing. The Death Tribute. As everybody knows since around 2003 James Murphy was trying to put out an all star tribute album to Death. Both Chuck and Eric were supposed to be on it (on more than one song each, if I recall correctly), and confirmed it in interviews. Ultimately, due to health issues and other stuff nothing came out of it. I'm pretty sure some parts of the album were recorded. Therefore, I'm wondering if there are any demos or rough versions of Chuck singing some of the Death songs. Would be cool to hear that.

Last year when the Death to All tour came to life Chuck's name was brought up once again. He was supposed (rumoured?) to sing in either LA or NYC. Has that ever happened? I think any video would have surfaced if yes. I know Alex stepped in and tore it up on at least one song, Spirit Crusher: