Chunk! No Captain, Chunk!

Barnacle

Jun 12, 2009
QLD, Australia
Just released their first full length a few days ago. Totally dig it.

http://www.myspace.com/chunknocaptainchunk

basically heavy Pop Punk in Drop A#, Have seen the term easy-core thrown around a lot to.

I've been messaging the singer who I'm pretty sure mixed and mastered it, anyway for those interested:

"Actually, Chunk's production is kinda weird. It's a combination of analog and digital recording techniques.
Guitars were recorded through a Soldano Avenger Amp - Mesa 2x12 cab with a U87 mic. Then, amp tracks were combined with DI tracks processed with the Metal Amp Room plugin. Also, guitar tracks were harly processed through preamps and EQ hardwares.

Drums were recorded, quantized, and combined or trigged with different commercial samples (SSD, EZ, etc..). Also, there is a huge post-process.

Vocals were recorded with the U87 mic.
Mastering made through the TC electronic finalizer."

ah, metal is infested by this kind of american high school rock bands. pre-puberty vocals, autotune, machinegun drums, lyrics about girls and beer parties and skateboard fails, etc... so how many bands like this are out there? 1000? 10000? 100000? it is good though I permits really great bands to emerge and be visible lol.:devil:

I might be subjective, but I personally don't dig neither the band, neither the sound, neither the trend.

I didn't mention anything in there about metal at all. But, I can see what you are getting at.

And yes, you're right. You are subjective. Taste in music is subjective.

I'm trying to find good things to say about this in the spirit of not being the resident grumpy cynic, but really Raptor7 said it all. There is nothing overly unique or endearing about this sound.

It's also one of the worst Soldano tones I've ever heard.

This band rules, so fun and good, and defiantly one of my favorite tones of all time. its so fucking crisp

Someone stab my eardrums plz.
omg-wtf.jpg

My initial reaction was ... we how bad can it be.

Heard the 1st riff said, ok cant be soo bad, heard the vocals and tarded synth, and the "we wanna be blink 182, just tuned to the bowels of hell" and was like WTF ....

This kind of production DOES NOT WORK FOR THIS MUSIC, and Yes one of the worst Soldano tones I have ever heard. Its auto tuned to hell too .... OMG Growls? Are you fucking kidding me?

IM happy happy happy singing in a major key....
Im happy happy happy singling in a major key.....
Im happy happy happy singing in a major key.....
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you fucking schizo?

That band name is fucking stupid, IMO.. Like.. reeeeeally fucking stupid. Makes absolutely no sense..

-P

No more of these bands please :(

Seriously.... I'm not sure I can take it anymore knowing that these sub metal genres are becoming so over saturated with terrible bands.

LOLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That band name is fucking stupid, IMO.. Like.. reeeeeally fucking stupid. Makes absolutely no sense..

-P

I think its a reference to this:
http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/goonies/captain-chunk

Poor choice in a band name though, I mean if it were the early 90's sure, most kids / teen would have seen the movie. But the market the band obviously caters to (10 to 15 year olds) probably have never seen the movie, nor would understand the reference. Shit I'm 35 and I have seen The Goonies 50+ times.

Last edited by a moderator:
No more of these bands please :(

Seriously.... I'm not sure I can take it anymore knowing that these sub metal genres are becoming so over saturated with terrible bands.

Dude come on we all like Joey, the bands he produces just suck. Let him make his money!

(and yes I know this is not a Sturgis Production, but its right up his alley...lol)

I'm 23 and I've seen the Goonies like once (and didn't like it).. I still got the reference, but just hate it as a band name..

BUT, trying to find an original band name nowadays is getting harder and harder...

EDIT: I also reeeeally am not a fan of punctuation in band names...

-P

Gay! The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of Chunk! No Captain, Chunk!
Where no band has gone before (ok, except maybe Attack! Attack!).
No more words I can use to describe the feeling I have after foreseeing the future of metal as we know it. A plague born in US high schools. At least in Pre HS they listen to Hanna Montana so no danger at that level.