Church of Australian Metal

For those interested in Dead Kelly they posted an update yesterday. They are finishing up the video for Black Dog and The Stanley Knife has picked up a guitar and is learning to play without his index finger.

Haha that’s awesome.

Since when did The Furor put out a new album? Just saw this shit for the first time ever and it came out last year. The Furor used to be considered heavy hitters of the Aussie scene. :lol:

Also:

sdg.jpg

I excite.

Last edited:

I remember these guys a bit more fondly than maybe they deserve. They were around for a few years before breaking the scene and making a full length LP. They played quite a bit around Melbourne at the time and I even remember seeing them once at Metal For Melbourne (what a dodgy little shithole that place was, perfect for metal!).

They aren't crap and there is definite shades of Maiden in there but the album never seems to be what I remember it to be when I play it.

I remember these guys a bit more fondly than maybe they deserve. They were around for a few years before breaking the scene and making a full length LP. They played quite a bit around Melbourne at the time and I even remember seeing them once at Metal For Melbourne (what a dodgy little shithole that place was, perfect for metal!).

They aren't crap and there is definite shades of Maiden in there but the album never seems to be what I remember it to be when I play it.

I remember them. Don't think I saw them live though. I spent a fair bit of time at Metal For Melbourne as a teen, couldn't afford to buy much though. Still got my copy of Kill Em All on vinyl that I bought there.

As dingy and shitty as MFM was it was a great place. You could go to Missing Link or Radical Records to get metal and under the counter bootlegs but MFM was such a little hovel it was like a secret pit. They had so much shit in there that you could spend hours just looking at albums and listening to music. Then the train would go over head and rattle the crap out of the place. I loved the place, it was always a go to when I went into the city.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I used to catch the train from Frankston to the city on Saturday with my mate and whatever little money I had and go to MFM, Smoke Dreams and Extreme Agression Records (became Missing Link I think?). We'd spend the whole afternoon looking in these shops checking new releases out. I remember the first time I heard Slowly We Rot was at Extreeme Agression and it blew my mind. My mate bought the vinyl and we went back to Franga and blasted it lots. Good times.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Smoke Dreams and Extreme Aggression.
In Parkmore (Keysie) there was a shop called LA Connection, it wasn't only metal but they got a lot of metal and would order stuff so we didn't have to go into the city just for music, but no trip to the city was complete without a trip to the 'metal shops'.
There was also a place in Dandy, one of the walk throughs down near where Dick Smith was, that was pretty much all metal. I brought Mortal Sin Every Dog Has It's Day there purely because it was imported and not the same as the Aussie release.

Must admit I did judge the band by the name and didn't expect much from a band called Vulvagun, but they aren't too bad.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Smoke Dreams and Extreme Aggression.
In Parkmore (Keysie) there was a shop called LA Connection, it wasn't only metal but they got a lot of metal and would order stuff so we didn't have to go into the city just for music, but no trip to the city was complete without a trip to the 'metal shops'.
There was also a place in Dandy, one of the walk throughs down near where Dick Smith was, that was pretty much all metal. I brought Mortal Sin Every Dog Has It's Day there purely because it was imported and not the same as the Aussie release.
Yeah we had a shop called Plato's in Frankston, I bought loads of stuff there. He had a massive Death Spritual Healing promo poster that I wanted so bad but someone else got it.

I was long gone out of town when the shops I used to frequent closed so I didn't even get a chance to get anything. I know a few people who scored pretty well out of different shops in Melbourne but I was always wrong place, wrong time. Made me want to start my own shop just so I could have all that cool shit :)

Aussie speed/thrash/death metal from this year. Interesting vocal changes in this track.

Finally got around to fleshing this list out tonight, there were a few things I needed to relisten to but now I'm happy with it. Not sure if anybody will have their own list for something this niche but oh well.

Top 10 Australian metal albums of 2017:

1. Incinerated - Lobotomise
2. Headless Death - A Hideous Warning
3. Diabolical Demon Director - Bound in Lucifer's Chains
4. Black Magick SS - Kaleidoscope Dreams
5. Contaminated - Final Man
6. Cemetery Urn - Cemetery Urn
7. Bloodlust - At the Devil's Left Hand
8. Impetuous Ritual - Blight Upon Martyred Sentience
9. Faceless Burial - Grotesque Miscreation
10. Decomposed Serenity - Digging Up Your Mother This Friday Night

Reactions: Slammed
I'll get around to doing something eventually but mine will definitely look different to that

Looking forward to it!

Edit: as much as I love each and every single one of these albums, 2017 was pretty slim-pickings for Australian metal full lengths IMO. 2018 on the other hand will be brutal.