Church of Australian Metal

These guys are listed on MA as heavy metal/hard rock, but considering their first two albums were released in 1976 an 1977 metal was a lot different back then. They reformed about 10 years ago and have since released two new albums. I like 'em but others maybe not so much.

Reactions: CiG
Sounds like it could be Saracen?

Or maybe these guys, your description made me think of them even though they're Kiwis:

Amethyst is/was a heavy/prog band from Australia but they were from the 90's. Female lead, one EP, one album which is on YT.

Neither of those, but thanks. They had what I associate as a very American sound, stylistically the closest reference I could make is the Michigan band Ezra.

But oh well, I'll probably run into it again later.

And Queen of Thieves is a masterpiece, probably my very favorite Australian album.

I love the way Taste left 30 years between album 2 and 3 but it's like they were made at the same time. The old school feel is so thick on Rock Is Dead they lost nothing in their thirty years away.

Reactions: CiG
Average Rock N Roller is my favourite Buffalo album.
We had some really good shit come out in the 70's and whether bands like Buffalo and Taste are really classed as metal or not some of my faves of the time definitely weren't metal. Bands like Skyhooks, Billy Thorpe, even Jon English really did some special things at the time although a lot of metal heads probably wouldn't think so.

I believe at the 75 Sunbury gig Deep Purple said the same thing. They were developing their hard image and on stage they were trying all sorts of things to make people thing they were louder, wilder and crazier than the rest. Then they say Billy and admitted they had nothing on him.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Haha :) He was definitely a mad man.
My cuz got to play with Billy before he died, reckons it was one of the most amazing experiences of his life but he struggled to play to his best because he was too busy thinking about how cool it was to bit sitting there playing note for note with Billy.

Not the reissues, most of what I have of both his solo stuff and the Atzec's stuff is original LP's, either bought new or bought at hock shops. The only reissue I think I have is a copy of Children of the Sun on CD

No I mean the reissues by the label Aztec Music. They've done tons, with extensive liner notes, rare photos, bonus tracks etc. One of the best labels for digging up rare old Australian gems.

The label was founded by Gil Matthews btw.

Reactions: Slammed
Oh no I haven't looked into any of that, well not deliberately. I probably should but time keeps pissing off on me.

From the 2011 Eviloution album.

I was in the studio for part of the recording of the first Terraphobia EP Product of your mind. We actually got to engineer some of the songs, at the time we didn't know they were going to be on the EP and I don't think any of our recordings made the cut anyway. Back in the early days of Terraphobia the band also briefly included the drummer from Taipan who we all knew. In later years especially the years after Mick left Mortification he's spent a lot of time on vocal training and fret work. Terraphobia is all his, he plays pretty much everything himself and it's some pretty good shit.

For those interested in Dead Kelly they posted an update yesterday. They are finishing up the video for Black Dog and The Stanley Knife has picked up a guitar and is learning to play without his index finger.

Reactions: Satanstoenail