Church of Australian Metal

I'm going to give it another go when I finish with Harlott and In Malice's Wake to see how it stacks up against Choose the Dark and Barbarian Winter (which I think is probably their best)

Reactions: CiG
For this year? Yeah Midnight Oil....nah only kidding

System Trashed had a new on a few weeks ago which was an improvement on their last. King Gizzard had a few lives earlier in the year. But I haven't listened to that many Aussie 2020 releases I've been collecting more old bootlegs and lives.

What about you?

Pretty much same for me man. I haven't been listening to much new Aussie metal this year, beyond a few times each when Tzun Tzu, The Wizar'd and Cauldron Black Ram released their new stuff. Need to really sit down and spend a good chunk of the day jamming some Aussie metal.

What old bootlegs?

I've found some live bootlegs, and demos from bands like Addictive, Mortal Sin, Frozen Doberman, Oppressor, Redeemer, Tyrus and Allegiance.

Although obviously not Aussie I happened across a site with about 8 or 10 Nuclear Assault live and bootleg recordings the other day. And a few months ago I found a site of live recordings from different gigs all over the world (there is quite a number of these site popping up now) which had a massive range of bands on it.

Fucking shame it seems like activity with Heavy Chains Records has dried up. I get that a good deal has to do with the pandemic (eg no new shirts to promote The Wizar'd's new album) but even before that things had died down a lot. Definitely buying some shit as soon as it all picks up again. Hoping for new Tarot music soon too.

I need to go back through some list and see what's been released this year. I expect it to be a relatively quiet year but I'm sure there has to be more released than I remember.

Hehe the Aria Awards proving again this year that they have their finger on the pulse of the Aussie hard rock and metal scene with these nominations for best metal album.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard Chunky Shrapnel
Parkway Drive Viva the Underdogs
Polaris The Death of Me
The Amity Affliction Everyone Loves You... Once You Leave Them
The Chats High Risk Behaviour

KG had to win by default the other 4 aren't metal, they're shit!

Yeah just like the Grammy's I think the idiots that have the final say on the nominations have no idea what they are picking.

Or maybe they are getting kick backs from certain labels and industry big wigs!

In general awards shows are just a wankfest but at least years ago when there was Aussie metal awards they were voted on and chosen by metalheads. They were given SFA publicity except by the magazines or venues that ran them but at least it wasn't just suits in an office pulling names out of a hat.

No idea, but I'm pretty sure the final say is still down to a bunch of suits in an office who probably don't listen to music.

Ewww makes me thankful I'm no longer in the industry in any way if that's what happens