Church of Australian Metal

I think that's a band I (we?) need to revisit soon and see how they aged.

Yeah I remember only listening to Mach II maybe once or twice, probably not a fair go. They've been very quiet for the best part of two years. Doesn't appear to be any bandcamp updates and doesn't appear to be much social media for them.

Reactions: CiG
another banger by Parkway Drive, an Australian national treasure

I tried to listen to that Roadkill band I confused with Road Warrior and couldn't go more than 3 songs.
There is nothing overly wrong with it but it really sounds like generic cock rock. I don't think I'll be listening to them any more.

I could nearly cleanse the palate with that shit arg posted...but then I'd have to stab myself in the ears with a dessert spoon.

I remember Agenda. The drummer (Adrian) was in Mass Confusion before Roadkill released their first album. He went even heavier after Roadkill and played with brutal death/thrash band Random Act Of Violence I think it was.

Okay here's my 2021 list.

First and foremost it’s not metal but one of the best releases of 2021 was

Cosmic Psychos – Mountain of Piss
It just doesn’t come much more Aussie than this!

The Metal List

1. Lord - Undercovers Vol 1
I wouldn’t normally rate a covers album very high on any list but this is top notch, done well and was great for those long boring days in lockdown with very few other releases.

2. Desecrator – Summoning
It’s a bit of a bummer that this will be the last Desecrator album. They have proven to be a stalwart of the scene and this album is by no means a lack lustre exit.

3. Hidden Intent – Dead End Destiny
Third full length from Hidden Intent and it’s another great effort. Thrash with a bit of groove thrown in.

4. As Light Decays – System Of Division
First full length release from this WA band and it’s pretty fucking good

5. Effigy Of Madness – As The Page Burns
Another debut album, it’s not the best example of thrash/death out there but it’s pretty good for a first effort.

6. Terrorential – Visions
This album, another debut, has some great riffing and some good songs but it’s not perfect. There is a few songs that just don’t seem as complete as they could be

7. Mereflesh – Baptised In Blood
This was a bit of a surprise for me. I thought it was another one of those small bands who write about evil stuff but don’t actually have anything evil about them, but there is definitely evil there, even if it is only a little bit.

8. Devil Electric – Godless
Female fronted doom from Melbourne. I’ve been following them for a few years now and this is another solid release.

9. Witchskull – A Driftwood Cross
Third album from these Canberra based stoners and they do it pretty well. Lets face it to live that close to our pollies stoned would be the only state to be in.

10. Sumeru – Blood Ordinance
The only reason this is in 10th is because it’s only an EP. These guys play some damn good stoner/doom but it needs to be more than two songs to get up the list

HM’s

Innasanatorium – Odyssey of the Mind
Enforce – Deep Blue
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard – LW
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard – Butterfly 3000
Militaria – Remains With Pain
Womb To Tomb – Death Abroad

Crappy Pop Release 2021
Nothing Sacred – No Gods
Only kidding, it's not pop, it's shit :)

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
I did have to hunt around for a few of those. My original list was less than 8 and 2 of those were King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard :)

Drowned+cover.jpg

Australia
Drowning the Light

Sound quality was pretty average too, although that could be deliberate.