CIA: It is bin Laden on terror tape

The Winnipeg Warrior

The Winnipeg Warrior ®
.....anyone want to chime in on this? Since the London subway bombings last year, we've always been led to believe that it was just a matter of time before Canada became a target too. In fact, the media jumped all over this right away, stating that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver could be possible targets. I think everyone knows someone that has been directly effected by acts of terrorism. However, when we look at modern-day acts of terrorism like 9/11.....we have to agree that we are no longer immune. What we used to perceive as 'over there' has now made it's way 'over here.' Welcome to the Book of Revelations.

CIA authenticates tape, bin Laden promises more attacks in U.S. 'soon'

Last Updated Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:40:36 EST

CBC News (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)

header_news_left.gif

t1.laden.ap.jpg

Osama bin Laden (AP file Photo)

An audiotape from Osama bin Laden has been aired on Al-Jazeera television, with a chilling warning for the United States.

The CIA has authenticated the voice on the tape as that of bin Laden, an agency official said.

Addressing the American people directly, bin Laden declares that new attacks on the United States are being prepared and "you will see them in the heart of your land as soon as the planning is complete."

But it also makes a vague reference to a possible truce with the United States.

It remains unclear when the tape was made, but it does confirm that the al-Qaeda leade is still alive.

In the tape bin Laden refers to attacks in Europe, presumably the commuter-train bombings of 2004 in Madrid and last summer's transit bombings in London.

As translated from Arabic by CNN, the voice says: "I would also like to say that the war against America and its allies will not be confined to Iraq. Iraq has become a magnet for attracting and training talented fighters.

"Our mujahadeen [holy warriors] were able to overcome all security measures in European countries, and you saw their operation in major European capitals," the voice adds.

'Only a matter of time'

"As for similar operations taking place in America, it's only a matter of time. They are in the planning stages and you will see them in the heart of your land as soon as the planning is complete."

But it also says, "we do not mind offering you a truce that is fair and long term ... so we can build Iraq and Afghanistan ... There is no shame in this solution because it prevents wasting of billions of dollars ... to merchants of war."

The conditions for such a truce were not made clear.

Last Friday's U.S. air strike in Pakistan, possibly involving missiles fired from remotely piloted aircraft, is thought to have been aimed at bin Laden's second-in-command, Ayman al-Zawahiri.

The attack levelled a residential compound, killing as many as 18 civilians, including women and children, and two men described as senior members of bin Laden's al-Qaeda organization. Al-Zawahiri is believed to have escaped.

On its website, Al-Jazeera posted extensive excerpts from the tape, including these:

"This message is about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and how to end those wars.

Wars 'definitely going our way'

"It was not my intention to talk to you about this, because those wars are definitely going our way.

"But what triggered my desire to talk to you is the continuous deliberate misinformation given by your President [George W.] Bush, when it comes to polls made in your home country which reveal that the majority of your people are willing to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq.

Other excerpts apparently aimed at Americans:

# "If your desire for peace, stability and reconciliation was true, here we have given you the answer to your call."

# "I would like to tell you that everything is going to our advantage and the number of your dead is increasing, according to Pentagon figures."

# "The new operations of al-Qaeda has not happened not because we could not penetrate the security measures. It is being prepared and you'll see it in your homeland very soon."

# "We do not mind establishing a long-term truce between us and you."

I wonder if it has to do with contaminating our food. I read that it would be incredibly easy for terrorists to do such a thing, and that the government is surprised they haven't yet. Agricultural terrorism seems to be in our future. Can I move to Canada now?

I'm starting to believe the terrorist scare, the war, the oil, etc. are all intertwined. There's been plenty of oppurtunities in this country for terrorist attacks, even small scale suicide bombing would do a bit to cripple this country. I believe another attack could happen but I'm not counting on it. Nuclear bombs were supposed to explode last August...what happened?

Susperia said:
I wonder if it has to do with contaminating our food. I read that it would be incredibly easy for terrorists to do such a thing, and that the government is surprised they haven't yet. Agricultural terrorism seems to be in our future. Can I move to Canada now?

Well no one is stopping you, so go ahead

Susperia said:

.....there's no advantage to that. Canada is just as screwed up as the US. The safest place to live right now is, ironically, Iraq!

In regards to the "truce", I feel he is more-or-less saying "You don't want to know what's coming your way" .. as opposed to .. "We need time to recover, please lay off a bit" which is what the media is pretty much propagating.

I mean, asking for a truce (when taken at face value) would make any opposition push harder in the thinking that the other guy is breaking. So why would Osama say it in the first place if he were somehow vulnerable? He wouldn't .. it's a joke, something's up.

Well...he was armed and trained by the CIA as a branch of America's short sighted foreign policy, so I find it ironic he spends most of his days trying to bomb the crap out of America.

I find it sad when Bin Laden speaks more truthfully than the president of the United States. Yes, the wars in IRaq and Afghanistan have been the best possible thing that could have happened for AL Queida, and yes they are winning. Furthermore, his comments on American foreign policy are spot on, and we ignore them.

Like Camus, I believe the war against the terrorists will only be won by discourse. We have to take their ideas seriously, and rethink our own philosophy and foreign policy. Perhaps then, if we formulate a new policy and plan of action that takes into account the unique situation of the Middle East, perhaps then we will the minds of young arabs. Remember, men do not kill others for no reason; they have a philosophy and a world view that reinforces their beliefs. It is this world view and philosophy we must challenge--but that is impossible with our Cowboy criminal president (who should be in jail for his pissing on the Constitution and royally fucking everything up--hell, apparently even his father told him not to go to war in Iraq, do the moron doesnt talk to him anymore).

The thing is, to these guys war is something that could easily span many generations and they expect it.

Here in the west, our view of war is in years so .. our stamina and morale is vulnerable when expectations and promises of getting out are continuously delayed; this is very much a psychological war and the US is losing.

I'm sure all the money the US has been spending and the time spent creating useless policies etc., has them laughing .. they probably see the west as weak and chasing its own tail.

It's that old saying, "Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.."

ProjectedBlack said:
I'm starting to believe the terrorist scare, the war, the oil, etc. are all intertwined.
:OMG:

really?

...It took you that long?

Anyway, I think Bush is as much a terrorist as Bin Laden is, and am glad I am nowhere near America at the moment.

Kenneth R. said:
Anyway, I think Bush is as much a terrorist as Bin Laden is, and am glad I am nowhere near America at the moment.

I don't actually have negative views towards Bush himself, I think he is sincere but I don't think he's very smart. It seems to me that his adminstration has sort of been hijacked by men like Cheney and Rumsfield, it's difficult to tell without knowing the man personally though.

Clinton was no better and Bush's father, he went to war in Iraq simply to test new military technology against Soviet-era equipment, I see no other reason at all, especially after his adminstration told the Iraqi government that there would be no US interferance if Iraq invaded Kuwait.

I say we stay in Iraq, based on kill ratios between US forces and insurgent forces, if we stay there long enough there won't be anybody left to fight in the region. It is a broken place that will always remain broken anyhow, I don't think any good can come from the Middle East and the Muslim dominated nature of the people there.

judas69 said:
In regards to the "truce", I feel he is more-or-less saying "You don't want to know what's coming your way" .. as opposed to .. "We need time to recover, please lay off a bit" which is what the media is pretty much propagating.

I mean, asking for a truce (when taken at face value) would make any opposition push harder in the thinking that the other guy is breaking. So why would Osama say it in the first place if he were somehow vulnerable? He wouldn't .. it's a joke, something's up.

Assuming Bin Laden is who the world says he is, he's not exactly all that crafty or intelligent. His terror orginization has not carried out any spectucular or complex plans and he has not taken the oppurtunity to easily scare the American public into submission. The Sept. 11th attacks were devestating and all but it wasn't that complex of a plan and it took Al Queida and the agents involved several years to prepare for it.

ProjectedBlack said:
Bush's father, he went to war in Iraq simply to test new military technology against Soviet-era equipment, I see no other reason at all, especially after his adminstration told the Iraqi government that there would be no US interferance if Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Not true in the least. We - and practically all of the free world (France included) - waged war to prevent Saddam's takeover of the ME's oil. Period. Literally 6-7 days after he invaded, the US set-up "Operation Desert Shield" protecting the Saudi border from an invasion. Had Saddam been left unchecked, he'd have surely moved on Arabia. He'd have possessed Iraq's oil, Kuwait's oil and Saudi Arabia's oil leaving only Iran as a dominant producer of oil. Basically, he'd control the market and the world couldn't have that. Again, why do you think nations like France and Canada rushed to join that coalition - their economic futures depended on it.

speed said:
I find it sad when Bin Laden speaks more truthfully than the president of the United States. Yes, the wars in IRaq and Afghanistan have been the best possible thing that could have happened for AL Queida, and yes they are winning. Furthermore, his comments on American foreign policy are spot on, and we ignore them.

Like Camus, I believe the war against the terrorists will only be won by discourse. We have to take their ideas seriously, and rethink our own philosophy and foreign policy. Perhaps then, if we formulate a new policy and plan of action that takes into account the unique situation of the Middle East, perhaps then we will the minds of young arabs. Remember, men do not kill others for no reason; they have a philosophy and a world view that reinforces their beliefs. It is this world view and philosophy we must challenge--but that is impossible with our Cowboy criminal president (who should be in jail for his pissing on the Constitution and royally fucking everything up--hell, apparently even his father told him not to go to war in Iraq, do the moron doesnt talk to him anymore).

Perfectly stated.

MURAI said:
What do Al-Qaeda expect for Americans to do to come to a truce.

Nothing. He doesn't want a truce. He simply wants it to appeat that way to the moderates in the Arab world. There are two facts are work here:
1) he knows America will never enter into a truce with him
2) he needs the sympathy of the moderate Muslims. He already has the extremists, but they simply don't carry as much weight due to their ineffectuall numbers. He knows he needs to win the hearts and minds of the millions of moderate Muslims who think he's a psycho

By feigning a "truce", by extending the proverbial olive branch, it will appear as if he tried to end the conflict peacefully. When America, of course, refuses, he can more easily justify future bloodshed. He can they say "Hey, I gave them a chance to negotiate. They refused. They're not civil...etc".

SoundMaster said:
Not true in the least. We - and practically all of the free world (France included) - waged war to prevent Saddam's takeover of the ME's oil. Period. Literally 6-7 days after he invaded, the US set-up "Operation Desert Shield" protecting the Saudi border from an invasion. Had Saddam been left unchecked, he'd have surely moved on Arabia. He'd have possessed Iraq's oil, Kuwait's oil and Saudi Arabia's oil leaving only Iran as a dominant producer of oil. Basically, he'd control the market and the world couldn't have that. Again, why do you think nations like France and Canada rushed to join that coalition - their economic futures depended on it.

Yes, that's all true but all of that information does little to disprove my initial statement. If the US had truly been sincere about the war then I think they would've done a little more other then run over Saddam's armored divisions and test their long range and laser guided bombs. The US would know that such a war would get other countries involved, however the US was the prime country involved. And of course they'd protect Saudi Arabia but that was a scenario they were not afraid of creating because honestly, what chance would Iraq have to beat our forces in conventional warfare?

Look it up, I believe it was a diplomatic envoy headed by Donald Rumsfield sometime during the late 80's. There's a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand and everything. There's also a good deal of evidence that George Bush Sr. was/is heavily involved in global "secret societies", such groups that are labeled as The Illuminati and Skull and Bones.

ProjectedBlack said:
Yes, that's all true but all of that information does little to disprove my initial statement. If the US had truly been sincere about the war then I think they would've done a little more other then run over Saddam's armored divisions and test their long range and laser guided bombs. The US would know that such a war would get other countries involved, however the US was the prime country involved. And of course they'd protect Saudi Arabia but that was a scenario they were not afraid of creating because honestly, what chance would Iraq have to beat our forces in conventional warfare?

Look it up, I believe it was a diplomatic envoy headed by Donald Rumsfield sometime during the late 80's. There's a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand and everything. There's also a good deal of evidence that George Bush Sr. was/is heavily involved in global "secret societies", such groups that are labeled as The Illuminati and Skull and Bones.

Yes, Rummy and Saddam were old buds in the 80s. Saddam was not an extremist (relatively speaking), so the US backed him during the war against Iran (it would be more beneficial for a secularist like Saddam to have won than a fanatical Islamic nation to have won). And, yes Bush Sr is a very shady fella (it's in the blood). But had Clinton, or Carter or JFK been president in 1990-1991, America would still have been as heavily involved. The economy is simply too vital too ignore Saddam's invasion/quest for oil.

With that said, the minute he became a major threat to the world's economy (and that of the oil barrons leading the neo-con movement), America was forced - for lack of a better term - to respond. To shed more light on this, had America's military power been only 1/4 of what it was, we STILL would have waged full-scale war during the Gulf War....we'd have simply lost more men and it would have taken much longer to win. A fringe benefit of the war was that the world was able to see daily what the US military machine could do - in a conventional war. And because of our strength, other nations simply didn't have to contirbute as much materiel and menpower (and many just dont have much of either anyway). Being that we were the lone superpower at the time, the world had a general idea of how devesating the US military machine could be anyway. We really didn't have to prove anything to them. As an aside, if I remember correctly, France was the second largest contributor to the coalition in terms of men & fighter plans.

A better example of the US flexing muscle to showcase their goods was the use of 2 nukes on Japan in '45. Yes, it saved an estimated 1MM american lives (whild would have been lost with an invasion of Japan), but it also did two things:
- ended the war which stopped the Soviets from making any headway into Japan and potentially partioning that country like Germany (USSR had only recently declared war on Japan - after the war in Europe ended)
- showed the Sovs that we were not to be f*cked with due to our possession of - and willingness to use - this hellfire monstrosity weapon.