Osama attacks on US.

well I'm sorry if I have been misinformed and I apologize if I don't appear to know what I am talking about, but even if all that you are saying is true, I still cannot wait to be a Marine. Most of my friends are Marines, and some of them are definately against the war, but the main reason I joined was to have the experience. To challenge myself in a new way. To live a hard life. The education and money is all bonus to me. I was brought up with alot of military family so I guess it is inherited. It does make alot of sense that we are over there for Oil, but I had no idea that it was that bad. I know that the oil companies have ALOT of control over the world. Anyways, forgive me for being so unaware.

Devildog11887 said:
well I'm sorry if I have been misinformed and I apologize if I don't appear to know what I am talking about, but even if all that you are saying is true, I still cannot wait to be a Marine. Most of my friends are Marines, and some of them are definately against the war, but the main reason I joined was to have the experience. To challenge myself in a new way. To live a hard life. The education and money is all bonus to me. I was brought up with alot of military family so I guess it is inherited. It does make alot of sense that we are over there for Oil, but I had no idea that it was that bad. I know that the oil companies have ALOT of control over the world. Anyways, forgive me for being so unaware.

Well for godsakes, at least go the ROTC route. You might as well get a degree out of it, and have some position of authority. I dont see the honor or the courage in getting gunned down or blown up in the streets by suicide bombers.

And as for the oil, I am sure that was a huge factor, but surely it was not the only one. There were so many for BUsh and his administration--revenge, contracts for friends, a reason for increased military spending, a way to ensure re-election, the establishment of military bases in Iraq and thus the middle east,(we had been asked to leave Saudi Arabia), and a way to test some of these neo-con ideas and theories--which if they worked would have provided a nice counterpoint to Iran.

Unfortunately only Bush and Cheney and their cronies know the real reason they fabricated intelligence and distorted the facts for us to start this most unfortunate war. I am sure we will find out in twenty or thirty years.

This thread has came alive a couple of posts ago. Soundmaster, Speed: fantastic posts - I agree whole heartedly.

The situation we are in just now and the hypocrisy that surrounds it sickens me more and more each day.

In a documentary some American soldiers were asked why did they join the military and the typical answer was "To blow shit up!"

The Bush administration actively recruits soldiers from poor areas, and down trodden school districts. I'm sure some of you will have seen the videos of army rangers actually approaching kids in public, trying to recruit them for the army, and I find that quite disturbing.

The American mindset is quite bizarre, and "to blow shit up" just seems like a facet of that. Which, again, reminds me that arming these idiots to the teeth with the biggest stockpile of weapons in the world is an increasingly dumb idea.

Actually new recruits are promised bonuses and scholorships if they join. But in reality they are more likely to lose all their limbs than see a single dollar.

With the debt that the USA is in, they could never afford to pay all their troops.

Oh and I happen to know a lot of people who live in the middle east and they are pretty rational people. I really don't know where people get the idea that pakistanian's are CRAZIES!

But then again, if you knew that there was over 200,000 troops surrounding your country, I am sure you'd be crazy enough to "blow shit up" too.

The Bringer said:
Actually new recruits are promised bonuses and scholorships if they join. But in reality they are more likely to lose all their limbs than see a single dollar.

With the debt that the USA is in, they could never afford to pay all their troops.

Oh and I happen to know a lot of people who live in the middle east and they are pretty rational people. I really don't know where people get the idea that pakistanian's are CRAZIES!

But then again, if you knew that there was over 200,000 troops surrounding your country, I am sure you'd be crazy enough to "blow shit up" too.

Good point there - and what you said about that the US surely gives more than $5billion a year to Israel is right too. It seems to vary, but it could be twice as much, and many other countries give billions to Israel also.

Devildog11887 said:
well I'm sorry if I have been misinformed and I apologize if I don't appear to know what I am talking about, but even if all that you are saying is true, I still cannot wait to be a Marine. Most of my friends are Marines, and some of them are definately against the war, but the main reason I joined was to have the experience. To challenge myself in a new way. To live a hard life.

I understand your viewpoint in that you desire to, "have the experience ... challenge myself", but our manpower, though decently large in size, is full of undertrained troops that are packed with heaps of our technological superiority but greatly lacking the personal skill.

As long as you're aware that you, or the rest of your companions are not on the level of the Sayaret (Israeli Special Forces) etc. etc. then more power to you.