Circa 2021: Notable Releases

actually I think they are deadly serious, as sad as that is.

here's a review from their bandcamp: " Holy shit, let me tell you how fucking good this release is....
It propelled me to the band's seperate webstore and I just fucking bought a goddamn fanny pack! I haven't had one of those since like 1990.
Violet Cold has become a new obsession for me.
I'm dancing all over my room right now
Amazing! Favorite track: We Met During The Revolution"

"I'm just going to use this review to say thank you, Violet Cold, not just for the great music, but for being an ally. This queer sees and appreciates you. Much love. Favorite track: We Met During The Revolution."

Wow, you weren't kidding. You can even buy various articles of clothing with "blackgaze", "shoegaze", or "screamo" printed on the front and nothing else. im starting to think that this is an elaborate scam to sell a ton of merch.
i don't think it's a scam, i just think it's someone who's deeply in tune with how you do business as a band in 2021

no one buys music so sell merch with empty-ass messaging for the instagram depression generation. then release a million singles (*singles*, not albums, because aint nobody got time for albums anyway and like the spotify ceo said, releasing "albums" every other year doesn't cut it anymore, you're gonna get left in the dust if you don't adapt to the new music economy and stay constantly on top of the attention span of your target market) and getting your bandcamp, deezer, facebook, instagram, myspace, patreon, spotify, tidal, twitter, vkontakte, youtube, amazon, google play and itunes* accounts going and then use those social media to be as provocative and clickbaity as possible and post tired memes for your audience to agree with (fun fact: this same meme could be modified to work for, ahem, some OTHER extremist groups, in about 20 seconds because iceland is also one of the most ethnically and culturally homogenous nations on earth and maybe it is worth considering whether that has impact on crime probably not though ha ha) to drive engagement numbers and make more ad/streaming bux

then! and this is key: you gotta somehow bend your mind enough to accept the inherent doublethink in calling your shit "protest music", loudly decrying capitalism, and in general raging against all of the foundations of western civilization while also eating your cake, i.e. being comfortable with a life in total servitude to whatever crumbs google, facebook et al allow to sometimes fall off their table onto yours

3. ???

4. profit! (apparently this guy lives off his music. i guess life is cheaper in azerbaijan.)

* this is a real list, but just going by what this guy has linked from metal-archives. i'm sure i'm missing his tiktok and snapchat and whatever else is necessary to secure sufficient engagement.

Last edited:
i want a reality show where they book this guy and nokturnal mortum as co-headliners of the same gig while keeping it secret from both the bands and the fans that come to see em

and then just film everything that goes on backstage and in the audience before and after the show

i want a reality show where they book this guy and nokturnal mortum as co-headliners of the same gig while keeping it secret from both the bands and the fans that come to see em

and then just film everything that goes on backstage and in the audience before and after the show

This, now THIS is an idea.

the spotify ceo said, releasing "albums" every other year doesn't cut it anymore, you're gonna get left in the dust if you don't adapt to the new music economy and stay constantly on top of the attention span of your target market)

i looked this up. wow, what a douche. i get what he's saying but the quality of the "product" goes down.

he pissed off a bunch of artists with those comments too

Man dudes, y'all remember when Botanist came out and many were like BLACK METAL, YOU'VE HIT ROCK BOTTOM but little did we know what terror the future would soon bring.

I see now that said Botanist has been accepted onto Metal Archives as of 2020. METAL ARCHIVES, YOU'VE HIT ROCK BOTTOM.

i remember (barely) liking one botanist release. but i couldnt tell you what i liked about it. i think it had treebeard on the front or something