Classic Albums

In what way do you claim Manowar innovated metal? They didn't bring anything to the table that didn't already exist aside from their odd aesthetic. They didn't spawn a new movement within metal. I'm not saying they're bad, only not exceptionally special or important.

They brought fucking Battle Hymns. :cool: It was a very new sound in metal, I think. It was a transition between traditional epic metal and power metal. It had a more bombastic, majestic, epic sound than any band before them.

This list needs some changes, I think. I wouldn't put bands like Accept, Twisted Sister and Skid Row under traditional metal. Priest should go under NWOBHM. This subgenre should read "trad/epic" metal, and should definitely include Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, and Manowar, in my opinion.

Skid Row changed their style from their glam metal sound on their first album to a more traditional metal sound on Slave to the Grind, and Twisted Sister and Accept aren't glam musically, though they did have a glam image. Both bands are heavy fuckin' metal with a bit of an 80s sound to them.

In what way do you claim Manowar innovated metal? They didn't bring anything to the table that didn't already exist aside from their odd aesthetic. They didn't spawn a new movement within metal. I'm not saying they're bad, only not exceptionally special or important.
They were one of the innovators of "true" metal. :p Maybe not really a legit genre but it definitly has it's distinct sound and image. Besides, this list isn't really about innovators (I know your reply was to Einherjers claim that they were innovators but anyway) and imo Manowar IS a classic band that deserves to be on a list like this regardless of personal opinions of how good they are. :) Like I'm not being a Dream Theatre fan but I can see the reasons for putting them here.

Motorhead of course, are another unique and important band in the history of metal. In their own words, they were too late for the original metal of the early 70's, and too early for the NWOBHM. In fact they never claimed to be metal at all, Lemmy has always characterised Motorhead as Rock n' Roll. What they did was take 50's rock and roll, and infuse it with a punk attitude, hence the reason Motorhead audiences are made up of metallers, thrashers, punks, bikers, skinheads and old rockers.

Not the first band to have a logo on their album sleeves, but one of the first bands to have an identifiable theme, an icon on their sleeves, and IMHO Snaggletooth is the meanest band mascot of all time.

No one would deny Motorhead's influence on the thrash movement, all the original thrashers acknowledge their debt to Lemmy and his band, and the greatest thing about the band and Lemmy is, after 30+ years, they still play harder, faster and louder than everyone else!

All Hail Motorhead:worship:

Musically, they were over the top, absolutely crazy, cheesy, bombastic, and epic, a very new sound. But mostly it was an image and attitude thing. Manowar is the reason metal is often associated with comic books - those album covers of ripped guys fighting demons with women clinging to them. And the whole aggressive macho "true metal" attitude was not really new, but it was taken to a new level. And they were definitely influential and a classic band.

Defiantly, huh?
Fighting the world!

I'm not saying they're bad

I am.

Funny, though.

Like Dragonforce.

They do suck, but they had a hell of an influence.

Mathiäs;7283783 said:
:zombie: why are you disrespecting me? Fuck.

Eh, I feel Darkthrone brought a lot of stuff to the black metal table that I don't really appreciate, ie. escalating "RAW LO FI!!!" to the level of fetishism. There are definately some "raw"-ish bands I can get into (mostly USBM, oddly- Weakling and WITTR come to mind), but they're the exception. Stuff like Ildjarn (sorry, Matthias) with the whole "grim minimalism lo-fi kvlt!" thing going on just doesn't appeal to me.

This is a relatively solid list. Any of these would be worthy recommendation. However, to list only one album from each band I would probably swap Symphony X - The Odyssey and Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World.

I don't think that Pain of Salvation, Riverside, or Ayreon really belong alongside classic Death and Queensryche. Much as I "meh" Fate's Warning, they have some undeniably "classic" material, and DT and Opeth are huge in the latter-day prog scene, but even Nevermore (while a cool 'nough band) probably doesn't have a place on a "top ten prog albums" list. TGE certainly doesn't.

This thread fails for there is no mention of Mercyful Fate or Sabbat or Satan.

Hardly anybody has heard of Sabbat of Satan or even cares so they can't be all that essential. I agree on Mercyful Fate being an essential band though.

If were talking Sabbat UK, dont know any material from the Japanese one, gotta say your wrong. Dreamweaver is pretty solid ill give them that, but History is a pretty weak release vocal wise, and I heard their 3rd cd is total crap. Satan's court in the act is ok, but yet again nothing amazing.