Classical music influence on heavy metal

lol.. skyweaver.. we posted at the same time.

razorjack.. ive no doubt you are to receive an A+ in the grade. I can provide a cut and paste for humor relief if you are so inclined.

Razorjack said:
So, I'm in the middle of writing an essay on the relationship between 'elitist' and 'popular' music, I'm focussing on classical musics influence on heavy metal. Does anyone have any opinions on this that they would care to share? I'm not after anyone to write chunks of my essay for me, just opinions that will help keep my mind open.

Thanks

Andy

Rhetorical question here: Metallica falls into which category: 'elitist' or 'popular.'

:Spin:

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse.

That one album should be enough. Make your professor listen to it.. he'll either give you the stink eye, and flunk you out of spite, or pass you out of might. =)

So, I took a break for a few hours and I'm back at it. It's due for submission in 6 1/2hrs. I've got to double my word cound and then print it off and get to uni (an hour away), this should be fun. Back to trying to write about symphonic metal without it being just a history!!

EtherForBreakfast said:
Perhaps emphasize the difference between pure pentatonic wankers (BLUES) and those who wanted to learn more and studied the old 16th - 18th century masters to further hone their chops and melodic lines.

No offence, but come on, blues is not just pentatonic wankery. What most people would call the 'blues scale' even has six tones. Someone like S.R. Vaughan hardly qualifies as a wanker at all, his playing is quite melodic IMO. It would be just as easy to call neoclassical guys harmonic minor wankers. Not that that is how I feel, I can appreciate both blues and neoclassical shred.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say by adding "(BLUES)". I'm not trying to be hostile, just thought I should add this to the discussion.

I'm staying away from commenting on the actuall quality of the music, I could argue for hours as to why Malmsteen is one of the worst 'good' guitarists in the world. I'd rather listen to Tony Iommi's pentatonic wankery than YJM's constant sweeping arpeggios!!

I'm up to talking about how most modern symphonic metal bands got their singers from the conservatory/sibelius!!

You may laugh at them but Rhapsody first albums (especially the second one) are a great blend between classical music and metal. Also the Waltari Death Metal Symphony is fun ("Oh, there's a sign, Just follow it, don't be afffraaaaid") ! Mekong Delta did many Modest Mussorgsky covers. You could maybe mention that including classical music (and instruments) in metal (not talking about guitar heroes like Malmsteen, Becker or Moore) was just considered gay 10 years ago and has now been accepted (and not only by mainstream bands such as Metallica or Scorpions) but also in more Extreme or underground Metal (Dimmu Borgir, Rage, Nightwish) as the result of the evolution of Metal music.

Mmmm, "classical" music doesn't mean much. Me think that the main "neo-classical" influence on heavy metal is baroque music (with a few exceptions of course). Symphonic orchestrations are a complete different story. If I use a banjo :)tickled: ) in a metal song, it doesn't mean that I'm influenced by country music right? :D

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
You may laugh at them but Rhapsody first albums (especially the second one) are a great blend between classical music and metal. Also the Waltari Death Metal Symphony is fun ("Oh, there's a sign, Just follow it, don't be afffraaaaid") ! Mekong Delta did many Modest Mussorgsky covers. You could maybe mention that including classical music (and instruments) in metal (not talking about guitar heroes like Malmsteen, Becker or Moore) was just considered gay 10 years ago and has now been accepted (and not only by mainstream bands such as Metallica or Scorpions) but also in more Extreme or underground Metal (Dimmu Borgir, Rage, Nightwish) as the result of the evolution of Metal music.

I had totally forgotten to talk about how attitudes towards classical have changed!! Thanks Brett!!