Classical/Traditional Music

Brahms - German fucking Requiem (this is my no. 1 piece of music right now, I'm seriously addicted to it)

I listened through the whole thing on youtube, great stuff.

Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 is really incredible. You can listen through it 100 times and you will still discover new things on the 101st listen.

I searched Dansband and got this. 0_0

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to Panzerfaust who posted Rachmaninoff. I'm not into solo piano much myself but Rachmaninoff is great.

Bump for classical.

Lately I'm into Prokofiev a lot - The classical symphony, some suites and String quartets are what I listen to most. Richard Strauss w/ his Death and Transfiguration, Metamorphoses and others.

And even some newer stuff like Ravel, Debussy. Calm music, mostly. Flowing atmosphere.

I still need to fully digest Mahler's symphonies but I heard the second ferw days back and it was amazing.

@ Krampus: I'm going to throw some Mongolian overtones up in this bitch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahler's second is actually perfect. His 9th is also superb. A change of pace if you don't want the haunting and crushing qualities, check out his 4th.

Prokofiev is a big favorite of mine, I like his piano concertos the best, his symphonies actually really verge on modern/avant-garde elements, they go pretty far out there.

Lately I've been into some absolutely amazing living composers; Arvo Part, Richard Danielpour, Thomas Ades, John Mackey etc, are people you should all check out.

I have seen the fourth live I think, and the last one. I will need to check the fifth again. I think I even have it on my iTunes. I will check those composers btw, thanks.

^Nice.

Fucking HELL, just heard Mahler's 5th on the NY Philharmonic broadcast...I caught it from the 2nd movement so I had no idea who it was until the end, I knew it was late 19th century, and by the length had a good guess that it was Mahler, still need to hear 6-8. But jesus christ, Mahler is god.

I love Mahler's 5th. Unfortunately it's still the only one of his I've heard though. Also, more discussion of Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" and Pictures at an Exhibition plz. And Brahms' third racket, of course.

most of Mahler's symphonies are masterpieces. the only one i dislike is 8. 9 is amazing. the largo from 10 is amazing... but i'd have to go with 5 as my overrall fav.

Do you like Schubert's? If so, which one would you recommend?

the 8th is the only schubert symphony i really love... but he has many other amazing works... the piano trios, the string quartets (especially the last few) the piano sonatas (again especially the last few) the piano immpromptus, the moments musicaux and the string quintete (not the trout one, the other one) all amazing. schubert is awesome.