Clawfinger sound

Ugghh, I'm not even gonna try guaging it when there's so much phasing going on from the crappy mono youtube quality - but from what I can tell, it has kind of an industrial quality, so I guess I can see how digital would be best for that (or a Sansamp)

Deaf Dumb blind: We used the very first Sansamp (looks almost like the "vintage" on the pic) blended with a Boss ME-5 heavily eq'd. In the mix, Stefan Glaumann used a Vocoder to get some extra flavor to it. I have no idea what he did, but he used one. Bass was also the sansamp.
Use Your Brain: Again the Sansamp. We might've bought the PSA-1 but I'm not sure. Boss ME-5 again. More Sansamp than Boss though. Bass = Sansamp.
Clawfinger: Digitech 2110(?) and a Sansamp PSA-1. The Digitech was mostly for the fucked up sounds.
A whole lot of nothing: Boss GX-700 into a Matchbox speaker simulator. And the Digitech.
Zeros and heroes: Boss GX-700 into the Matchbox speaker simulator.
Hate Yourself With Style: PODxt Pro into a Line6 4x12 miked with a Chinese Ribbon.
Life Will Kill You: Same as above.

All setups have been EQ'd heavily with maybe three different equalizers. Holy tweaking, Batman! The last years with the PODxt I've had the"fizz" problem .

/Jocke

Holy flowers! psa and boss ? I was so close . The dude can you give more information about how did you use psa_1 with digital boss units? Are they blended,settings,which one was on the front ? ect. And 3 eq 's ? wov . Engineer must be jenious ,How did he manage to use 3 eq's with not loosing body .

@Jocke:
I remember reading somewhere that you had a role on something on Rammstein (or Emigrate?). Is this information correct? If so, could you give some input on their guitars?

Well, they were looking for a producer and when they heard DDB, they wanted Jakob Hellner, the guy who produced us. Richard is a tube guy that's for sure, kinda like Metaltastic. Dual/Triple Rec all the way. They blend that tone with Pauls Sansamp PSA-1 for the extra sizzle.

The only thing I've done is that I tweaked Pauls PSA-1 for their live show back in 2001.

As for the "why not mic a cab" question. We did that when we went into the studio to record the first single (yeah, people actually did that in those days), and it didn't feel right according to the producer. He told us to "record it again but use the EXACT setup that you did on the demo". So we did. We lined the ME-5 and used a Sansamp to be able to record at home. PODs didn't exist, so we improvised.

Holy flowers! psa and boss ? I was so close . The dude can you give more information about how did you use psa_1 with digital boss units? Are they blended,settings,which one was on the front ? ect. And 3 eq 's ? wov . Engineer must be jenious ,How did he manage to use 3 eq's with not loosing body .

We split the guitar signal in two with a DI box. Then blended the sounds in the desk. How much of each is something I don't remember.

Well, treat every result of each Equalization as a sound. Like Sansamp/Boss into an outboard EQ is a starting point. Add a nice mixer console where the eq pedal can't reach and use the final EQ to mold it into the entire mix.

listened to my pals and warfair right now, recalling the "old days" :)
are still ones of my all-time fav. songs
cheers jocke.

btw, did you do the clawfinger remixes of the rammstein songs which are featured on there singles??

Hey Jocke -

Would you happen to know/remember Paul Landers' PSA-1 settings?

Also, do you know what electronic samples were blended with drums on the first two albums?

Clawfinger never really did it for me that much (i like some stuff here and there but that's it) except for this song which is AWESOME.

This chorus with the oriental-ish chick singing is just amazing.

when Clawfinger came out they were one of the most original bands in metal.

And I love their first 3 albums to death... use your brain is probably one of the most played cd's in my collection to date.

I pretty much grew up to them, Faith No More and Alice in Chains.

I'm 27 in March BTW, still miss those days

Clawfinger never really did it for me that much (i like some stuff here and there but that's it) except for this song which is AWESOME.

This chorus with the oriental-ish chick singing is just amazing.

Fuck yes! This rules :headbang:

Hey Jocke -

Would you happen to know/remember Paul Landers' PSA-1 settings?

Also, do you know what electronic samples were blended with drums on the first two albums?

I don't really remember, but it was something like this:
sansamp_settings1.jpg

The SonyEricsson camera works! Wohoo!

Thanks for all your answers and the picture the dude. Do you have any backing track ? I want to try to simulate your sound :heh: