Clean Vocal Groups?

Rich0775

New Metal Member
Sep 10, 2016
Sup everybody,

I'm new to the site but I've been listening to metal ever since my buddy introduced me to metal when I first met him in Wisconsin and he had nothing but metal CDs. Started off with Forever Sets the Sun, and Amity Affliction and it's since branched out quite a bit. However, I'm not a fan of most screaming in metal songs and lately I've been turning away from the screaming altogether even if songs have clean vocals.

So, basically, I'm looking for groups or bands that do most songs as clean vocals or maybe the better way to put it is soft vocals?

To give you guys an idea of what I listen to, here's a list:

Amity Affliction, Issues (Tyler Carter), Hands like Houses, I the Mighty, Emarosa, Crown the Empire, Too Close To Touch, Aaron Gillespie, Landon Tewers/Before Their Eyes/TPIY, The Word Alive (Tyler Smith). Some of the following; Dream on Dreamer, The Color Morale.

Almost all of them have clean vocals that are higher pitched, or vocalists that hit the higher notes. If anybody has recommendations I'd love to hear them.

P.S. I realize that some groups I mentioned do have screaming (like Amity Affliction) but I think I've started to pull away from them because I've been finding bands that are predominantly clean, soft vocals and that sounds so much better to me. Again, I'd love to hear suggestions!

You realize there's a way to scream clean vocals, right? Led Zeppelin with Robert Plant being a great example. But if we're delving into metal, bands like Judas Priest and Manowar would be prime examples.

Hard to gauge accurate recommendations since I don't know whether any of those bands are actually metal.

I can say right now that Amity Affliciton is not, just from looking at their wikipedia page, which describes them as falling under the genres of "post-hardcore, metalcore, and melodic hardcore." If those other bands are similar, then the same goes for them.

Reactions: CiG
whether you like it or not, metalcore is metal. all you need to be metal is downtuned guitars and distortion. also, metalcore is heavier than some of your revered "true" metal classics.

whether you like it or not, metalcore is metal. all you need to be metal is downtuned guitars and distortion. also, metalcore is heavier than some of your revered "true" metal classics.

Heavier =/= better.

Metalcore is definitively not metal, the term comes from metallic hardcore you dumbass, ie a subgenre of hardcore punk.

Go back to school, fool.

it is a subgenre of both hardcore punk and metal. idiot kangaroo fucker

Even if metalcore was metal (and some of it definitely leans more to the metal side than the hardcore). This description: "describes them as falling under the genres of "post-hardcore, metalcore, and melodic hardcore" clearly tells you that metal is hardly a primary element of the band.

Every now and then there's a Metallica riff or an Iron Maiden riff. I won't deny that many of those bands take some superficial things from heavy metal.

Probably why people like @arg think metalcore is metal to begin with.

^This.
Even if metalcore was metal (and some of it definitely leans more to the metal side than the hardcore). This description: "describes them as falling under the genres of "post-hardcore, metalcore, and melodic hardcore" clearly tells you that metal is hardly a primary element of the band.

Exactly. I wasn't making the argument that metalcore is categorically not metal.

Every now and then there's a Metallica riff or an Iron Maiden riff. I won't deny that many of those bands take some superficial things from heavy metal.

Probably why people like @arg think metalcore is metal to begin with.

Stuff like Shadows Fall and Trivium is deffo metal. I don't think it's very good metal, but that's besides the point.

metalcore was my gateway into metal and i'll always like some of it, even though i mostly listen to death metal now.

one thing i hate though is the whiny emo vocals many metalcore bands have, i like clean vocals to be rich and manly like Matt Barlow.

genres are a spectrum and there definitely are metalcore bands, yeah sure not all of them, that cross the threshold into metal if they have the tuning, speed, technicality, and attitude of metal

Last edited:
Are either of those bands even actual metalcore though? Always personally just considered them part of that whole "American heavy metal" crapfest.

Both those bands are described as melodic metalcore, which is more metal than other metalcore because it's derivative of melodic death metal. Both of their most well known works are given the same genre breakdown on RYM (and of course I'll have to take them at their word, because I'm not gonna listen to those albums front to back):

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trivium/ascendancy/
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/shadows_fall/the_war_within/

I struggle to hear the similarities between these "metalcore" bands and actual metalcore like Earth Crisis. Sounds more like pop metal or something but people decided to call it metalcore because reasons.