Clean vocals processing

JoshSylosis

May 16, 2005
Reading, Berkshire
www.facebook.com
Yo

I'm recording some new Exit Ten demos atm.
I've rarely ever dealt with clean singing. Just having troubles getting the right compression on the vox.
Ryans vocals are really dynamic within such short spaces so I can't really have different vocals on different tracks.

Some compression/limiting settings/ideas would be reeaaally appreciated.
Cant seem to find a decent ratio without making the really loud words duck down loads

Cheers!

On clean vocals I like to set up two compressors.
I use UAD plugs but the technique should be pretty general:

First in the compressor chain I have the LA-2A in comp mode doing the
bulk of the needed compression work. Then after that i have the LA-3A in limit mode just
doing some slight extra compression.

Both those compressors are program dependent so I cant say much about ratio and stuff
but it does the job for me.

The idea is to divide the compression work between two compressors so that neither is
doing to much and giving you "unpleasant results".

I also tend to send all background vocals to a group track where I do some additional stereo compression
just to glue the different tracks together nicely.

Be careful though. Vocals rarely benefit from overcompression and its a fine line 'tween heaven and hell.
You might wanna try and reign in the dynamics using automation if you cant set up your compressor right.
Its tedious but gives wonderful results if done well.

Good luck!

Cheers guys, appreciate it. Thats what I've been doing really. It's backed myself up with a bit more confidence haha.
Literally just working in Cubase 4. Have some slight eq filtering and boosts, then the vintage compressor, then the standard compressor then the limiter. Slooowwwllly getting there.

Look forward to showing people the mix, really great singing n no autotune

I use 4 compressors in series with 2 deessers mixed in.....fairly high hpf like 250hz ish.....all compressors compressing like 3-6 db....watch where you set the attack cause if you have the attack tooo quick it can make the performance sound boring...I also automate breaths and loads of automation on the performance....sometimes i use parallel compression if i am on a console.

Cant seem to find a decent ratio without making the really loud words duck down loads
Try to set a fairly fast release-time to reduce "audible compression". If the vocal track is demanding, it might be useful to try different compressors.

IMHO the ones that come stock with DAWs might not do the job very well. As already mentioned by Erlend, the UAD-stuff (which you might not have) is very decent and provides all the tools neccessary (mainly LA-2A, 1176LN).

Some slight saturation could also help glueing low and loud parts together (try the free TesslaSE or TesslaPro or Ferox ones). I am not talking about distortion, just some nice little grit.

I usually have a very natural sounding comp on the way in taking some dB off with a rather slow attack (20-40ms or so).
then in PT I'll have a more coloring comp with a fater attack on it (API2500, sometimes bombfactory 1176, sometimes outboard LA (really like that one the most))-->deesser-->EQ (very minor things, just a 2dB boost @ 3k or so).

send to split harmonizer and a 1/4 delay ans sometimes a warm hall.

Anyone care to give some examples on what kind of vocal automation they are doing? I don't really understand the point of this.

Pretty simple really, just allowing you to automate the fader movement to get louder at certain parts, softer at others, either for the purposes of evening out the levels (more transparent than a compressor) or various special effects (you can automate any parameter in a plugin too, e.g. extending the delay in certain sections or bringing up the verb send while bringing down the level for a "falling down a hole" sound)

Pretty simple really, just allowing you to automate the fader movement to get louder at certain parts, softer at others, either for the purposes of evening out the levels (more transparent than a compressor) or various special effects (you can automate any parameter in a plugin too, e.g. extending the delay in certain sections or bringing up the verb send while bringing down the level for a "falling down a hole" sound)

no no haha I understand automation, I use it a ton. Just not on vocals? I don't understand automation as it applies to a vocal performance. I can't be the only one that likes the way compression sounds on vocals?

I like compression too, but either I haven't fully mastered it to be able to get it to even out the levels exactly how I want them, or it actually evens them out too much and I subconsciously prefer them louder or softer at some points without realizing it. Either way, compression takes care of a lot of it, but I always do automation on vox for the final 15%!

I like compression too, but either I haven't fully mastered it to be able to get it to even out the levels exactly how I want them, or it actually evens them out too much and I subconsciously prefer them louder or softer at some points without realizing it. Either way, compression takes care of a lot of it, but I always do automation on vox for the final 15%!

Interesting. I will have to start listening for this. I can't imagine the jumps/ramps are in large increments? I can imagine that sounding odd.

Oh no, just by a few dB here and there, but it makes all the difference to my neurotically obsessive ears :D