Clean vocals throughout a heavy Opeth tune?

I wouldn't count Face of Melinda or A Fair Judgement because the instrumentation is half light, half heavy. Yeah, the drama and shifts in dynamics are what make Opeth what they are, but I would like to see them explore the scenario I described above. Wreath, after all, was an experiment in that the song was almost all brutal, both vocally and instrumentally.

im hoping there is a great usage of mikes growls, and maybe a couple of all out flesh rendering screams if this is going to have some more of the black metal elements?

I think that Opeth have always had a perfect balance of growls and singing and I am sure we can all trust Mike to make sure this will be the case again on the next record, whatever the vocal direction he chooses to take

I agree with L0bster (or as we say in New England : Lahbstah)

I made a mix-cd with 12 clean-vocal tunes. By themselves (and on their respective records) the songs are great. But back-to-back makes for a boring CD.

This is the downside to Damnation. I certainly hope their next record is more representative of the first 6 albums.

deliverance said:
all the praise of The Human Equation makes me think that I'm the only person who favors other Ayreon releases.

I've only got 'The Final Experiment', Its a quality album but nowhere near as good as 'the Human Equation'

L0bster said:
Growl / Clean should be 50 / 50 I think or even 60 / 40. Too much clean rids the soothing effect of it.
I didn't think of that when I was going to say a larger proportion should be the clean. I'm not a fan of death metal and "dirty" vox, but this is the best point anyone has brought up here.

Good show! :headbang:

I don't share that; a 50-50 or 60-40 is way to much clean singing. I would go for a 80% of Growling with capital G, if you know what I mean.

However, like someone said, let's wait for the concept as a whole and see how well growl and clean fit, I think that's the important thong, I mean, "thing".