Click or not to click?

MKS

May 24, 2005
In your home studios, do you encourage drummers to record with a click?

I'm a drummer and I used to hate recording with a click but now I do it all the time. However, most drummers in my area refuse to record with a click.

Hmmm... Depends on what the band wants I guess. One thing for sure though..... when bands use a click it makes my job (or whoever is twisting the knobs-Engineer) a lot easier! :D

if the monkey hitting the big tubes with sticks complains about a click, lend them a metronome and headphones for a month or two. if they're still too primitive to play to a click, well...make sure the band can record studio-live! ;)

Most of the time I'll have the band play to a click, unless they're tight enough to track together without one. A band playing together, with the inherent slight changes in tempo, is a beautiful thing.

I think recording with a click is very good. If a drummer isn't used to practicing with the click in advance or metronome in general, there can be problems. Especially if there are tempo changes. Otherwise. I prefer the click.

I think music is by nature a natural breathing thing. Having to play to a click can often be really stifling and restricting for musicians, at least in my experience. While it can certainly help as far as practice goes, having to record to one might not be the most stimulating thing in the world. If the drummer enjoys it, and finds it helps him..then great. Otherwise I just let the band go for it without one.

Neil K.

Well yeah, if you're recording jazz, let the drummer use his natural feel. However, if you're posting here, chances are you're a fan of the very tight, produced metal sound that's so sought after these days. You've got to have one hell of a drummer to play consistently enough to have a band sound that tight without a click. It also makes editing after the fact that much harder.

gumplunger said:
Well yeah, if you're recording jazz, let the drummer use his natural feel. However, if you're posting here, chances are you're a fan of the very tight, produced metal sound that's so sought after these days. You've got to have one hell of a drummer to play consistently enough to have a band sound that tight without a click. It also makes editing after the fact that much harder.

All good points. I love tight drummers.

Neil K.

I think now we are editing more its become more essential to use a click. I'll go with what the band want, but to be honest, I don't think I've done an album without a click for about 5 years. The trick is to program the click so the songs still push and have the right feel. It's very easy to program your click too slow, as when you're not used to it you tend to hold back a bit. Also drag and lift certain sections if needs be.

I just finished drum tracking with a band who came with their own click track already programmed which followed each song perfectly. Total pleasure to work with. Im doing editing at the moment and it really has helped.

Andy Sneap said:
I think now we are editing more its become more essential to use a click. I'll go with what the band want, but to be honest, I don't think I've done an album without a click for about 5 years. The trick is to program the click so the songs still push and have the right feel. It's very easy to program your click too slow, as when you're not used to it you tend to hold back a bit. Also drag and lift certain sections if needs be.
forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by "drag and lift"? thanks.