Clip request!

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hello

I hope Andy or someone here could help me. I need to hear a Mesa Rectifier sound clip, I need to clear my mind. I have never found a METAL clip of a Recto on the internet, I've heard most of the samples available all over, and they either play some single note or open chords nu metal stuff or some blues or rock.

I would like to hear 2 clips, one of a Recto (dual or triple) and one of a 5150. I know 5150 very good, I just want to have both clips for comparison, same riff and settings.

Settings for both clips: Gain at 1 o'clock (6), Bass at 12 o'clock (5), mids at 9 o'clock (3) and treble at 12 o'clock.

Please, record the same riff on each clip, and try and make it a metal clip, something like what the guy from Theocracy posted, or something harder, like some death or thrash metal, but make it metal please...

Thaks in advance, I know this is kinda too much to ask for, but hey, I live in Peru where you only get chinese Marshall combos...

quick question, why would you set both amps the same??? they both work differently so that seems a bit errrr dumb.

I never knew Milton Keynes was in China!

hey ,

indeed i never found clips of them either
if you want pure metal go for 5150 (if these are the only choices for you)

and what's wrong with marshall combos ?
marshall rocks

mark

Andy, I ask for that same setting since Im looking to hear the gain difference between both amps at the same setting on each one.

Also, it would be cool if you set the Recto to the bold variac and the silicon diode rectification...

Thanks marcust.

The 5150 demos im gonna check out, but the Mesa ones are those rock/blues I was talking about, as I said, I need the same riff played on each amp.

yeah but surely you should dial in what you think is the best tone on each, your idea of the same settings on each doesn't make sense because both amps work differently, you'd be better trying to match the tones rather than settings.

DURBANS said:
Andy, I ask for that same setting since Im looking to hear the gain difference between both amps at the same setting on each one.

Also, it would be cool if you set the Recto to the bold variac and the silicon diode rectification...

Don't they have some cans and bottles you can bash together over there in Peru? Can you provide me a clip of both the can, and the bottle, playing the same riff?

playbillsheep1en.gif

Just playin, don't get all butt hurt this time. Werd to the herd... :wave:

Not funny man, we don't get tube amps except for some Marshalls or mainly SS combos, that's why most of us have to travel to get them, same with guitars.

Once again, I wanted to know if the amps are capable of getting the same gain. I know how a 5150 sounds at 6 (gain) and that's how I play it, but I don't know if gain at 6 will be enough with a Recto. I ask this because I don't like having to turn the amp's gain knob beyond 6 or 7, just a matter of taste.

Anyway, so if that request was so dumb or whatever, then do what Andy said, just play a metal (thrashy or deathy) riff on both amps to hear how each sounds, but keep the 5150 at 6.

What would it matter where the knobs are set? If one amp sounds good with the gain at "6", who cares what another amp sounds like. You gotta dial it in according to taste, even if that means turning the gain on a different amp to "7".. "oh no not 7!". and why is it that you prefer to keep the gain on 6? Do you do that even if it compromises tone? I don't see the logic in your "taste".

Whatever dude, Im not interested in you "understanding" or not my taste. I just like to play 5150's with the gain at 6 since that's how I feel comfortable. On different amps I choose different settings to get my sound.

What I tried to explain, and nobody got, was to see if a Recto would sound similar (in the gain department only!) to a 5150, that's why I wanted both at the same setting having the already familiar 6 on the 5150 to guide myself and see if I can get that same amount of gain. It may sound real stupid to you, but hey, it's my stupidity not yours, be glad then!

Just to answer your question, I use gain on 6 exclusively on 5150's, that's my gain setting on that particular amp, for example, on Marshalls I use an SD-1 to boost the gain, or on my Randall I use gain at 10 and thank god I have EMG's (85 81) if not, I would have to boost it a little with the SD-1.

Oh and I like to be able to get the right gain without putting that knob all the way to the max, maybe it's something dumb or psichological, but, works for me. To know im not at the limit of the amps capability and that there's more gain (even if I will never use it).

DURBANS said:
Whatever dude, Im not interested in you "understanding" or not my taste. I just like to play 5150's with the gain at 6 since that's how I feel comfortable. On different amps I choose different settings to get my sound.

What I tried to explain, and nobody got, was to see if a Recto would sound similar (in the gain department only!) to a 5150, that's why I wanted both at the same setting having the already familiar 6 on the 5150 to guide myself and see if I can get that same amount of gain. It may sound real stupid to you, but hey, it's my stupidity not yours, be glad then!

Just to answer your question, I use gain on 6 exclusively on 5150's, that's my gain setting on that particular amp, for example, on Marshalls I use an SD-1 to boost the gain, or on my Randall I use gain at 10 and thank god I have EMG's (85 81) if not, I would have to boost it a little with the SD-1.

Oh and I like to be able to get the right gain without putting that knob all the way to the max, maybe it's something dumb or psichological, but, works for me. To know im not at the limit of the amps capability and that there's more gain (even if I will never use it).
This should be in Spinal Tap II.

"No, they must be at 6.... not 6 1/4th, not 6 1/2, exactly six, I don't care... SIX OK?"

Gah, that guy that does the 5150 clips doesn't deserve to own one of those. Fuck man I could play more fluidly using the on-board gain on my 10 watt 'training-wheels' amp. Why... is... the world... so unfair?

Well the world is not unfair. I don't think they ever started selling amps in exchange for talent.

The samples posted by these companies are pretty useless anyway. I think it's 40% equipment and 60% who's playing. A 5150 with the gain set at 6, played by a fusion type player, very legato, isn't going to sound the same as a thrash/metal player who is laying into the strings.....just my 2 cents.