Clip request!

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Its not like anyone here would by an MG series marshall by CHOICE now is it... at least I hope not haha

Edit: I agree with Andy on the too much gain issue, but I would add that having too much can always be rectified by dialing in less and then you always have that extra gain there incase you need it... I'm thinking Jimmy Page and his three compressors straight into the desk on "Black Dog" type sounds here. You can never have too many sounds, even if you never get around to using them, right? :headbang:

I own one. :oops: I got it before I knew anything about tone or amps in general. but hey I'm 16, give me a break. :p I'll get that 5150II someday. oh yes I will.

DURBANS said:
Thanks James and Andy. I got your point, I'm a little stubborn myself and I didn't want to get it in the beginning. Maybe it was really stupid for me to ask, perhaps all I wanted was to hear how the Recto sounded at 6, just to know for some stupid curiosity or whatever.

Anyway, you're right, what I need is a metal riff being played on each amp, and see how the Recto sounds a/b'd with the 5150 which is my reference amp. But, just for a better environment, I'd like to have the 5150 at the gain I usually play it on.

Thanks for your pacience, or lack of it or for those who like to think I'm stupid.
hey man I've been in the same boat. asking isn't stupid...but sometimes we go on too far with our preconceived notions about how stuff works.

hopefully you get by now that it doesn't matter what having a dial at "6" means for one amp compared to another. and then you get into all this crap with the master for each channel (post gain), output volume of the amplifier etc...and all of a sudden you realize that you can get a totally saturated tone with your gain at 9 o'clock when your channel master is set at 12 o'clock etc.....and that's just MY amplifier. which is a mesa rectifier preamp. which probably doesn't work all that much the same as a mesa dual rectifier when it comes right down to it. (as far as the different gain and output stages go anyhow). there are just too many variables to expect someone else's settings to be meaningful to you...