Clip request!

hey ,
it is a very easy question unless you're stupid :dopey:
i get your point man
just get both amps ... eq them differently who fucking cares
but keep the gain setting the same then compare the gain (i know you can dial more gain on a mesa) but that's not his question
but i played a mesa once i thought the gain on lower settings dissapointed me so i think if you need more gain on lower settings go with a 5150 or maybe some solid state stuff :cool:
but i think andy can give you a simple answer to this question
(cause he has them both)

keep it simple

mark

Nitronium Blood said:
No man, it is just what we like to do to the new guy. :D

If I remember correctly, you're relatively new around here as well, so if you don't have a 5150 and/or a recto, why are you posting this chitchat as that wont help durbans in anyway? this my-dick-is-bigger-than-thou type of discussions lately kill the spirit of this forum and the efforts of those who actually try to help

Andy Sneap said:
seriously has Jim started farming Marshall manufacturing out to china??? Seems a bit odd?
well some Marshall amps here have Made in China written.
I think Durbans point is: Which amp has more gain? i told him that i tried a Triple Recto when i was in Hollywood L.A (Land of the Freedom?¡..lol) and in my opinion 5150 has more gain however the overall tone and sound was better.
I have 2 5150 with a 5150 cab and a Crate cab but i prefer the 5150 cab because is the tone that i like.
BTW I talked with durbans so we're going to record some riffage using his and mine stuff, later on we will upload them for you and get your critics and advices thanks to you all and of course to Andy

I don't think you'll be short of gain with a Boogie, both amps have bags of it, neither usuable when they're fully up so..... More variation with a boogie but a 5150 is cheaper so....depends what you want. I can actually match the amps pretty close but the settings are way different which was why I commented on your test idea. If it's just the gain you're bothered about, it's not an issue with either amp.

Marshalls made in china.....well I never!

Andy Sneap said:
I don't think you'll be short of gain with a Boogie, both amps have bags of it, neither usuable when they're fully up so..... More variation with a boogie but a 5150 is cheaper so....depends what you want. I can actually match the amps pretty close but the settings are way different which was why I commented on your test idea. If it's just the gain you're bothered about, it's not an issue with either amp.

thaks Andy got your point, that's what i told Durbans both have enough gain, but the overall sound aint worth the money

Andy Sneap said:

Thanks for the reply Andy: But, I know they have "more than enough" gain, BUT, thing is, will a Recto have the same amount of gain with the gain knob on 6 as with a 5150 with the knob on 6 as well? Just answer me that please...

Oh, could you record the clips? hehehe, like matching each other.

why are you so set on what it sound like set at 6??? What if rectifier sounds better at 7, why is this mysterious 6 setting your be all and end all, surely it doesnt matter where a dial is, its where its sounds good, no amps gain stage is equal, so this is a pointless exercise. It may have more gain set on 6, who cares, both amps have too much gain anyway.

DURBANS said:
Thanks for the reply Andy: But, I know they have "more than enough" gain, BUT, thing is, will a Recto have the same amount of gain with the gain knob on 6 as with a 5150 with the knob on 6 as well?
Oh man...

DURBANS said:
Thanks for the reply Andy: But, I know they have "more than enough" gain, BUT, thing is, will a Recto have the same amount of gain with the gain knob on 6 as with a 5150 with the knob on 6 as well? Just answer me that please...

Oh, could you record the clips? hehehe, like matching each other.

Oh my GOD! Tell me he didn't.........

The circiuts are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!! The Mesa has a faster gain "incriment", meaning it will reach a higher gain sooner than the 5150 (from what I recall). The potentiometer might be differen't for all I know. Who cares if you have to turn a 5150 to 7 to get the same gain from a Mesa at 5? I mean what the fuck man?.... This is so redundant. I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything but, do not understand what everyone is telling you?

They both have more gain than you need.
They are both totally different animals.
They both sound different no matter what.
They both sound good.
6 will not prove anything to you as to how much gain they have in comparison to eachother. There is a sort of "curve" to the gain channel. It's useless to compare the gain by knob position. Just as with any amp on the planet. K?
:ill:

HAHAHAHA THIS CONVERSATION ISNT HAPPENING HAHAHA.. This is great entertainment for me to read here at work haha. Andy, please use a permanent marker to write "11" on the gain knob of your 5150 head (a la Spinal Tap), take a picture, then burn it to cd and mail it to me. And step on it, you Redcoat!

A Marshall made in China?!?!?! Say it ain't so! Oh well, they try and hock the Brian Moore guitars made in China for over a grand, so whats the differenec in an amp? Either way, I'm happy with my Pod XT and it sounds like a 5150 to me. Plus dude forgot to ask which setting to put the Recifier on. They have three settings per channel. Anywho, I digress. Maybe I can get some 20' rims made in China.

Its not like anyone here would by an MG series marshall by CHOICE now is it... at least I hope not haha

Edit: I agree with Andy on the too much gain issue, but I would add that having too much can always be rectified by dialing in less and then you always have that extra gain there incase you need it... I'm thinking Jimmy Page and his three compressors straight into the desk on "Black Dog" type sounds here. You can never have too many sounds, even if you never get around to using them, right? :headbang:

3.jpg

I think here DURBANS is reaching for the gain knob to dial exactly "6".

666 HAIL SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

commandante said:
3.jpg

I think here DURBANS is reaching for the gain knob to dial exactly "6".

666 HAIL SATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Meanwhile, poor little Whong Mang in the back prays for american assistance to cure his uni-brow disorder by using the power of soy.

Again, wow.
Thanks a lot guys, 2 pages, no clips, whatever. I didn't expect this forum to be like this, but I guess it's common on all forums.

I just wanted some clips, since I've never heard a Recto playing metal. That was all, and also to compare the gain or whatever. I guess I should do it myself when I go to the states. Thanks a lot.