Clip when a Plexi style amp is CRANKED loud as hell

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=862889&songID=7841584

Standard tuned thrash via a Splawn QR which is ungodly loud and sounds best wide open. I had to modify the recording space to dampen the mayhem. So it was single mic'd in an open closet completely soundproofed inside.

The Quick Rod was on its lowest gain setting (gear1) and the vol and gain were cranked.

gear 1 is a very low gain setting which sounds early Aerosmith sounding, but when really dimed it gives me just enough distortion and character to get me exactly where I need to be for my style.

Whachya think?

The purpose of all of this is I am trying to get my own identity guitar tone wise. There is a trade off as it does not sound huge, and has a scratchy quality sometimes but for the most part I am pleased with it. I need to work out a bass tone to complement it.

How many tracks do you have there? It might help to run a couple more tracks on some of that. I tend to like a lot of vintage Marshall tones, but I guess there's a thickness in the upper midrange that I'm missing a bit. What was the cab/speaker?

How many tracks do you have there? It might help to run a couple more tracks on some of that. I tend to like a lot of vintage Marshall tones, but I guess there's a thickness in the upper midrange that I'm missing a bit. What was the cab/speaker?

There are 2 tracks panned hard l and r with a third one lower in the mix centered.

On the less busy parts I think I'll need to quad track them. I do think I also need some convolution verb in there to compensate for the lack of room interaction as it can feel a little dry.

The cab was a Madison cab loaded with Green Beret speakers (Warehouse Speakers greenback clones)

The tracks have no EQ etc yet.

I will listen when I am home. Splawns are cool amps but quite a bit different than the standard Plexi sound. Way more compressed.

One of these days I will make a proper clip of my 50 watt Plexi clone. That thing peels the paint off the walls!

-Joe

man fuck
mic that shit closer to the center of the speaker
you got that harmony central amp forum edge micing going on, i can hear that a mile away :(
sounds cool though, nice and twangy

man fuck
you got that harmony central amp forum edge micing going on, i can hear that a mile away :(

It is as close as it gets (it has grills), directly in the middle of the cone (hence the presence) and twisted just a hair .

I got fed up with the battle of placement to be honest. I am more in everything on 5 mode these days.

My drums are 100% unadulterated Harmony Central. haha. Need to tweak the crap out of those hits, change up the cymbals etc etc.

put it totally on axis
it's still got that strange cardboardy sound to it that all the HCAF edge mic guys have
post up the guitars without the drums?

put it totally on axis
it's still got that strange cardboardy sound to it that all the HCAF edge mic guys have
post up the guitars without the drums?

I don't want the bass/warmth in my tone because it loses that woody aspect and the carboard turns to wool if you know what I mean?

I want it to be more in your face simple clarity than warm/dark/huge. I want the bass and drums to fill more of that space.

For the more scratchy parts, I will be layering over a more boosted sounding vibe and I'll probably twist the mic more for that one.

The good news is with this type of sound, I can play more with room verbs on the bass and drums without the white background noise.

Righto man, do what you want, but right now your guitar tone is far from reaching its full potential. It sounds like it's in another fucking room or some shit. There isn't much more in the way of simple in your face clarity than a mic on the fucking dustcap.

man fuck

Are you kidding me?
Close mic = fizz city. :puke:

The beginning almost doesn't sound like a plexi. It's pretty cool though. But yes, it is mic'ed TOO far away. I'd say put the mic on an angle, and I'm not sure how you positioned the mic but put it at a completely straight angle towards the grill.

I would say get some more gain out of that sucker. You can hear the amp has a wonderful character, but as previously said, mess with the mic position.

Are you kidding me?
Close mic = fizz city. :puke:

if it's fizzy, then move the fucking mic. lasse has proved millions upon fucking millions of times that getting great sounding tone from micing the dustcap is possible.
try the andy sneap position (sm57 where the cone meets the dustcap) and if you cant make that sound good then it's something YOU are doing wrong.
don't just go OMG TEH CLOSE MIC IS FIZZEH!1!!!!!!!!11!!
Learn to fucking mic better or fuck off basically.
I've told the guy everything he needs to do to get godly tone, it's just down to him to get on with it.