Cloverfield

As much as I like giant monster movies, you can only do the plot device of *BORN FROM SPACE/RADIATION/SCIENCE, RISES FROM THE SEA THEN ATTACKS CITY* so many hundreds of times, so this seems to be a good twist on the same thing.

Also I have really enjoyed the recent style of "monster movies that aren't about the monster" along the style of Dog Soldiers or Descent, which don't take time to explain WHY those things are there, and the focus is more on the people stuck in the situation.

It's always more frightening to me when they don't give backgrounds on these horrible abominations, a very Lovecraftian style.

So really , as long as I don't get violently ill from watching this, I'll probably really enjoy it eh?! I SHALL SEE

T minus a few hours.

As much as I like giant monster movies, you can only do the plot device of *BORN FROM SPACE/RADIATION/SCIENCE, RISES FROM THE SEA THEN ATTACKS CITY* so many hundreds of times, so this seems to be a good twist on the same thing.

Also I have really enjoyed the recent style of "monster movies that aren't about the monster" along the style of Dog Soldiers or Descent, which don't take time to explain WHY those things are there, and the focus is more on the people stuck in the situation.

It's always more frightening to me when they don't give backgrounds on these horrible abominations, a very Lovecraftian style.

So really , as long as I don't get violently ill from watching this, I'll probably really enjoy it eh?! I SHALL SEE

T minus a few hours.

The Dog Soldiers? Bunch of marines or summat stuck on an island-esque thing, guy ends up stabbing the last guy with a silver fork or something to kill it?

That seemed very monster-centered.

The Dog Soldiers? Bunch of marines or summat stuck on an island-esque thing, guy ends up stabbing the last guy with a silver fork or something to kill it?

That seemed very monster-centered.

if by island-esque thing you mean the British Isles, then.. sure? All I recall is a farmhouse in the wilderness.

And while the monsters are obviously crucial to the plot, the film itself centered around the soldiers, who just so happen to have had a bit of bad luck running into some werewolves. The monsters could have been something completely different and the film itself could remain largely unchanged.

It occurred to me another film that falls perfectly into this scheme as well is The Host.

I actually really liked this movie. The camera was a little annoying at times, but all in all, I thought it was very good. Apparently most people didnt like it, when the movie was over, pretty much the whole theatre got up and booed and wanted their money back... haha, suckers.

saw Cloverfield last night. I got a headache and felt like I was going to throw up multiple times. Fuck that movie right in the ass.

story was good. ending was the way it should have ended. it looked believable. i just HATED the fact that it was so shaky

Doesn't matter. I'm comparing it to itself. The cameras were annoying as FUCK. If I want to watch a movie like that, I'll film one by myself. If I pay TEN DOLLARS, I want to see something TOTALLY PROFESSIONAL. The special effects were great, but the camera wasn't on them long enough to fully appreciate them!

I get motion sickness very easily, and I took my dramamine as I had stated, and I was able to keep my eyes on the screen the entire time with no problems.

Equate it to going on a rollercoaster, you know what you're getting into.

It was terrible. Absolutely goddamn terrible. The only redeeming thing was the Star Trek teaser.

No Country for Old Men blew my mind. Probably one of my favourite movies ever, and certainly my favourite Coen's movie, knocking Fargo off the number one spot it has held for a decade now. They've got Emmanual Lubezki in charge of cinematography for their next movies and he is a fucking beast - strength to strength really.

On a side note, I saw AVP 2 and it was also terrible. Probably the worst movie I've seen in a few years. Making a good AVP isn't hard. The golden rule is to give it to some scriptwriters and a director that DO NOT SUCK.