COB Interviews

^I will never understand how beeing older makes you immune to heaviness which, BTW, isn't bad at all. But whatever, is your call.

I love heaviness when it's done credibly.. for example, from COB, Knuckleduster.. But there's been so many bands recently who couldn't come up with brilliant music for their new album so they concentrated on the big sound.. I hope COB won't make a St. Anger but will contrarily adopt some of that feeling of old back. I'd be happier if Alexi listened to Kalmah or whatever instead of Pantera before he went to make the new songs.. I have to be careful with my words so I won't get labeled to anything.. Some of the newer material just caught my concern over them just trying to be heavy instead of being creative.. Then again it's better in some respects than the older material.. That's all I'm saying.

I don't see why it can't combine the best of Pantera/LOG and the best of the Vai/Malmsteen side of him. Sixpounder has one of the most badass solos Alexi has written and yet one of the heavier and more Pantera like riffs from Bodom's catalogue, and it's an amazing song.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2009091110229637_ps.shtml

I did quick translation (yeah, I was bored).

Children of Bodom did funny album

Children of Bodom cleaned skeletons from their closet for album.

When extreme metalband CoB publishes cover album, first thing what you could expect to hear isn't Billy Idol or Kenny Rogers songs, or even Britney Spears. Still all of these can be found from Skeletons in the Closet -album.

Bands frontman Alexi Laiho tells that, when choosing cover songs they tried to avoid all the rules and criteria.

Alexi: "Sometimes it's funny to make shocking choises for cover songs. We rather make covers of totally different music from what we play and turn them in to our own sound. It would have been boring to make covers just from extreme metal songs."

Heavy and hard rock section is well presented in the album. According to Laiho those songs were already made, because they got asked to perform in several tribute albums. In the end from album's 17 songs only two got recorded just lately. Few songs even didn't make it to the album and they aren't going to published anywhere.

Alexi: "And never will", Laiho says due to quality reasons.

When listening to Skeletons in the Closet you can't avoid the image that the band is mainly just having fun. Laiho confirms that.

Alexi: "Playing cover songs was relaxing, exemptive, funny and unstressful. We wanted that you could hear from the album that we are having fun and we are able to laugh ourselves. Even though we aren't Kummeli or any other humour group. There is always those who get annoyed by this record, and it's nice to see how they react."

Laiho and the band has seen people's reaction all over the world. Even though CoB is disadvantaged group and outside the radio playlists, they have grown very big in global scale.

Alexi: "In Finland I can relax, when one doesn't mess enough to get in yellow journalism mags."

Little messy, but I hope you get the idea. The last sentence was really hard to put in clear meaning, but still keep it short.

Ok so, I'm done with the Tiempos Violentos interview. I didn't translate it word by word because it's a pain in the ass to do and also the interview repeats Alexi's answers but in Spanish after he answers, so you'll find like if I had translated half of it, but no. It's just that half of what the guy says is the translation of Alexi's answer. Enjoy it!

INTERVIEW WITH ALEXI LAIHO – 30/8/09
Radio interview from Tiempos violentos (Argentina)

PART 1

INTERVIEWER: We’re here with Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom. They’re playing here in Argentina with Amorphis. Recently he injured his shoulder, how’s it going?
ALEXI: Good, yeah. I broke my shoulder and ribs in the tour bus couple months ago but it’s healed up now.
I: Are you back on tour already after the injury or not yet?
A: Yeah, we’ve done a bunch of festivals in Europe and right now we’re having a one month break because we’ve been on the road for almost the past two years.
I: Are you already thinking of writing new songs already or are you just going to chill and relax?
A: No, I’m just going to focus on touring and getting it done and afterwards I’ll start writing and we’ll hit the studio on May.
I: You said you’ve been playing festivals. It’s getting really popular in Europe now, but what do you prefer, that or small venues?
A: It’s different. Club is more intimate, you’re closer to the club. I personally prefer club, but I do enjoy playing festivals a lot too.
I: I was listening to all your albums and I thought that the thing that is always said about COB is the solo battles between you and the keyboard player Janne Warman.
A: Well, I wouldn’t say it’s what attracts more from the band but it’s definitely a trademark thing and it’s a big thing in the band.
I: When you formed COB around 10 years ago, was it there from the word go or did it come later on?
A: Well, keys were around since our second demo tape, but the whole key solos and battles thing really came on Something Wild, and from then it developed and became a part of the band’s sound.

PART 2

I: Is there any guitar/key team that has really inspired you? I myself remember Yngwie Malmsteen/Jens Johanson, but dunno if you know about them.
A: Definitely. The guitar/key duels they had really had a big impact on us, particularly the Jens Johanson era.
I: What about Stratovarious? In the beginning you were pictured as an extreme version of Stratovarious.
A: I wouldn’t go that far, but they were a big influence, specially back in the day, when making Something Wild. I woulnd’t say we’re the extreme version of Stratovarious, but lot of the guitar and keys things we did were definitely influentied by Stratovarious.
I: And on the heaviest/darkest side of COB, what do you call your influences?
A: Well, lots of Swedish death metal or black metal like early Emperor or Mayhem, or the Florida death metal scene.
I: If you had been born in the 80s, do you reckon you’d have been a guitar hero like those at that times?
A: Well, in the 90s guitar solos were kinda thrown out which I personally think it’s bullshit, but now they’re back and that’s good. I don’t know if I’d have been a guitar hero, but I’d have definitely been a guitar player.
I: How did you learn to play the guitar? Lessons, on your own...?
A: Well I did take lessons and go to music school, but I also played a lot along albums trying to figure out what they were doing. It’s a combination.
I: Your most popular guitar model is the black/yellow combination. Did you come up with that or did someone give it to you?
A: No, it was my idea. It’s not that it’s never been seen, it’s been around, but all the guitars I use I design them myself.
I: There’s something I have to ask you, I’ve promised it to the listeners. There’s an interview on YouTube where you and Janne laugh and make fun and say that you don’t want to come to play to Argentina.
A: Well, I don’t remember saying anything like that, but if we did I’m sure we were joking, we are excited to come to play down here.

PART 3

I: How would you explain the evolution of the sound from SW to BD if there’s anything?
A: Well, we’ve improved as musicians. It’s been 11 years and we’ve improved as a band, we’re a lot tighter, song writing too. Musically, the new music makes more sense. But when you listen to SW, it has that kind of raw energy that is kind of hard to explain, but we want to maintain, which I think we do. I think we’ve gone a lot forward from that album.
A: Well it’s pretty crazy, you don’t see metal being mainstream anywhere but in Finland, but it’s kinda nice that you can see a band like COB hitting the no 1 on the charts.
I: When you’re in Finland for long and you go somewhere else you’re not as popular, is it hard?
A: Well, not really. We don’t tour that much in Finland, we play around 5 times a year in Finland. We’re in the US, Canada, Japan... but it’s not hard, we play in really nice places, there’s not that much difference.
I: How do you see the metal scene nowadays? Most bands go for a really extreme sound, few bands go for a really melodic sound but a lot of extreme bands are getting popular in places like the US.
A: Well, it’s great. Of course specially in Europe there’s still quite a bit of melodic bands, but yeah, extreme seems to be the modern sound on metal. You never know what’ll happen in 10 years, but it’s good.
I: How do you see bands that have a really extreme sound they’re considered sell out because they have gone popular through Myspace like Job For A Cowboy or Suicide Silence?
A: I have no reason to hate them. They do their own thing, and if it works good for them. It may not be exactly my taste of music but I don’t hate them. We’ve been touring with JFAC and the dudes are pretty cool. Good for them.
I: What about the classics? Do you still enjoy seeing bands like Metallica or Iron Maiden? Those bands that have the big spot that you may one day take?
A: Well, I have a lot of respect for those bands, specially Metallica, who are the Led Zeppelin of the 21st century. They can do whatever they want and they’ll still sell out stadiums. Hopefully someone will take their place in the future.
I: How is the show Buenos Aires going to be?
A: Well, first of all I’m really excited to play there, and it’s going to be rock and roll and energy, and we’ll play songs from all albums.
I: That was Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom, September 8th here with Amorphis. Alexi Laiho, guitar player and singer, Tiempos Violentos.

That was a pretty good interview. You don't get those too much. Some of the questions were insightful, the interviewer actually seemed to know something about the band. And Alexi seemed calm and reasonable, unlike most of times when he's been drinking.It's gonna be interesting times after a few months as the first words about the next album have been spoken.

You're all welcome, it was the least I could do after getting so many interviews, I actually wanted something like this to come out so I could contribute at least once and not feel like I'm just on the receiving end and avoiding all the work :lol: And it was actually fun to translate :D

That was a pretty good interview. You don't get those too much. Some of the questions were insightful, the interviewer actually seemed to know something about the band. And Alexi seemed calm and reasonable, unlike most of times when he's been drinking.It's gonna be interesting times after a few months as the first words about the next album have been spoken.

Indeed those interviews will be nice, but I think we'll have to wait at least till Christmas for those ones. What I was thinking the other day is that, now that there's no show, we won't have the annual SOB and Alexi interview which used to be great.

Alexi talks about his soul in Finnish radio station.

Landscape of the Soul - Alexi Laiho

Black is first color that comes in to my mind when thinking of my soul. It’s a dark place, not many can see sometimes not even me. At least half of the time its better not to see because it’s much easier to be when not seeing what happens in my head or somewhere near my soul.

Seasons are changing faster in my soul than in real life. It can be any of those four seasons, sometimes even two at the same time. At the moments it’s end of spring, when you are waiting and anxious of something. It can mean that I’m waiting to get back on the road after break or it can mean that I can’t wait to get away from this interview [laughs].

What I see in my soul? Just brick wall, garbage cans and wrecked cars…of course lot of details that you easily ignore and notice only after stopping for a while to see what is happening in there. Good things but also lot of frightening things which are better not seen. Some where between bricks is window blasting raw punk and in the other corner some drunkard is puking. You need to get away and fast.

My rather hopeless soul is directly connected to the music I do. Music is my get away for and that’s why – well not only because of that – but its big part why I love music so much. It’s not only making but also listening to music that helps.

Spark to making music has always been there. As a kid when I began to realize anything about music I wanted to write music but felt like I don’t know how. But quite soon I was able to do at least some kind of music. It felt really great. At that point it wasn’t get away from anything, I didn’t have need for that. The more you live and the more you learn - things you don’t want to know - you need to get away for a while. For me it’s music.