COB Interviews

Joonas Lehtonen said:
I understand why Alexi says he likes Follow the Reaper the least, it's simply because the sound is horrible.
Its not THAT bad, but damn that was still pretty shocking. I mean, don't people hail that is the pinnacle of their career? It has some of their best playing on it, I mean check mask of sanity :kickass: . That was interesting to read that he said that.

Follow the Roope-R said:
Its not THAT bad, but damn that was still pretty shocking. I mean, don't people hail that is the pinnacle of their career? It has some of their best playing on it, I mean check mask of sanity :kickass: . That was interesting to read that he said that.

Most sites I've seen deem HCDR as their best album.

Zarok666 said:
No, but when you take a look at COB's schedule in the interview, Alexi and Roope won't have much time for that in 2006. And next year, they're busy with writing and recording the new COB album...
Wow, I am depressed now :erk:

I agree, most Bodom fans I know definitely would call FTR the peak of their music writing. HCDR took things in a new, more agressive direction, which I love. But, FTR and Hatebreeder have much more technical riffs.

I always thought the sound quality of FTR was pretty damn good, except for the over-done bass distortion. The guitar harmonies and keyboards are awesome. The only album that sounds better is HCDR, powerful as hell. The guitars in AYDY are very grainy.

Hatecrew Deathroll sounds best. AYDY should've had louder keyboard and more feel to the guitar instead of just drums.. Follow the Reaper is just very atmospheric, but sound is just too high.

┼Victim of the Night┼;5542963 said:
Thanks again for your warning... the whole interview in nice (hiccups too)!! :)

But I'm sorry to hear that they don't like anymore a song like "In the Shadows" that, instead, is one of my favourite... well, it's gonna be ok anyway...

Same.

Hatecrew Deathroll sounds best. AYDY should've had louder keyboard and more feel to the guitar instead of just drums.. Follow the Reaper is just very atmospheric, but sound is just too high.

There is also a noticable drop in quality between Trashed Lost and Strungout and the rest of the album. The guitars in that song are thicker (especially Roope's), the keyboard sound is fuller, and it just sounds like it was mixed better. I wonder why this is.

I promised to post the Metal Hammer interview, well I didn't have time to do it all, but here is the first part. The second part will be posted later (but I don't know yet when that is going to be) I am sorry if there are any typo-mistaked

EVEN DEEPER

It's no secret that Children of Bodom are all for having a good time on the road, but as Alexander Milas finds out, Alexi Laiho isn't just fucking about, because he's been to hell and back. Poking with a pitchfork: John McMurtie

"Scorpions sucked!" Right now the look reading across the face of Children of Bodom mainman Alexi Laiho's face is the kind you'd expect if you'd just taken a shit in your mouth. But then, the highlight of this weekend at Wacken Open Air Festival-aside from playing to roughly 60,000 heavily beered up German metal fans in a few hours-ws seeing the heroes of his youth explode from the stage. Instead, he was afflicted by a show plagued by bad sound and deflated ballads. To him, the only solution was to drink. Heavily. "Ok," he chuckles "Actually that's every night."
Alexi Laiho's alcoholic day began a full 24 hours prior on a plane bound for Helsinki and ended-memory-wise that is- with a bottle of Jameson's handed to him by a random passer-by at dawn. But superhuman alcoholic antics are hardly a new thing for Laiho. As he sees it, it's the only way to dampen the surreal, mindfuck reality of fronting what's rapidly becoming one of the biggest metal bands on the planet.
"I'm always looking around and going 'whoah, what the fuck'!" he says, reaching for a cigarette and lzily screwing it in his lips. Perched over a table in the Wacken festival's backstage artist area and looking not far from spilling his innards on a votive floral arrangement he's using as an ashtray, he's the picture of disbelief as he talks about the fact that this is now the fourth time he's appeared at one of the world's least apologetic metal festivals. The band's first appearance took place just after the release of 1997's 'Something Wild', and since then the shows in 2001,2004, and the one due to take place in a few hours have read like a chart of Bodom's steady climb atop the throne of metal.
"I should probably be saying how we got shouted off the stage right now but actually we went down really well," he chuckles. He's an affable man-eager to respond, to articulate his thoughts and seems everything but the reluctant celebrity longhair.
"It's almost like one day we were playing shitty punk rock shows in Helsinki and the next thing we knew we were sitting in front of 5,000 people shouting'Slayer' and realizing we were actually opening up for Slayer. And then I'm doing shots with Kerry King, and I mean, what the fuck!"
Laiho's humility aside, it didn't happen that quickly. The son of musical parents, it's well documented that he began schooling on violin at the age of seven and it was merely a few year before he discovered the more gratifying enticements of electric guitar.
"I was 14 at my first gig, it was just me and the drummer and a bunch of our friends at a little recreation centre in Helsinki. We played some Pantera and Metallica." He blushed as he recalls his more innocent days. "Everybody was really young." But more than a clichéd tale of youthful rebellion, Laiho met little resistance to his newfound tastes in music. He reveals his parents were 'really cool' about it; they sent him to music school and were supportive when he announced his decision to drop out and play in a band full time. "It's not very normal," he admits. "Very few parents would feel that way but I had really cool parents."
How'd they feel about your first tattoo?
"Oh yeah," he says, pulling a dozen silver bracelets up his forearm and looking a little self-conscious for a frontman. "My mom was like,'is that real?' It was kind of a long story but I was 18 and I was with this girl like for two weeks and we exchanged initials. It was a small part of my life but I do tend to get tattoos realted to girls a lot."
But as with many things with his softly spoken, almost over-polite Finn, there's more below the surface if you scratch a little.

your welcome! I had a very short day today at school so I typed the second part (and final) for you. Have fun! (Oh yeah, and sorry again if there are some typo's)

According to Alexi Laiho, getting flown around the world to play metal and drink, basically, is the only life he’s accustomed to or wants. That might explain his gung-ho attitude today (he rustled himself from bed for the interview this afternoon and kicked the rest of his bandmates out of bed for the shoot when word came down from the label that they wouldn’t be available.), or the fact that he’s still alive. Read that again. Sure he’s ready to say things like: “This is hard sometimes but this is what we do, and of course I’m still loving it. It’s all based on this love for music, really. Of course I don’t get to see my girlfriend that much but that’s healthy for our relationship, she’d get sick of me otherwise.” But there’s more to it.
Laiho explains that despite Children of Bodom’s recent jaunt on Ozzfest, the magnetic allure of moving to the States still isn’t strong enough or justifiable considering his experiences there. “I don’t even know how to but into words,” he says, laughing. “LA is basically lots of drinking and a lot of illegal substances, but it’s really down to me. A couple of years ago I had a fucking cast on my arm because I broke my wrist a couple of weeks before I was out there. We were just done touring for the ‘Hate Crew Deathroll’ album, and we got back to Finland and we were out partying with some friends of ours but I thought it was a really good idea to climb on top of a car, slipped, and smacked my head on the concrete. I had a black eye and had to have a cast on for seven weeks. I just thought to myself, ‘I’ve fucked up.’” And he had. But for Alexi laiho the prospect of sitting around in a hotel room when he should have been writing the songs for what would eventually become 2005’s ‘Are You Dead Yet?’ was a crushing experience and saw a period of debauchery the likes of which he’d scarcely experienced before. “It was insane,” he says: “ I was supposed to be on a magazine cover with Zakk Wylde. I couldn’t say no so I just got up there with a cast on my arm and they made the black eye look good, and I spent the rest of the time just getting fucked up. I’d go out to eat at the Rainbow and before I had a fork in my mouth I’d have five Bloody Mary’s in me. I was there for two weeks and it was the craziest two weeks I’d ever had in my life. If I moved to LA, I’d be dead in six months. But I was feeling truly shitty about not being able to play. I put me in this really dark mood because even though I was doing OK I was kind of worried I was going to lose everything. Besides, I’ve got the whole Nordic thing going. I need piles of snow and the trees and nature and all of that.”

He isn’t being dramatic. Laiho’s upbringing may have been a progressively-minded one, but his childhood was far from idyllic, and though he’s vague on the particulars, one thing is certain: Alexi Laiho has seen far worse days than today, hangover and all. All it takes is asking whether he recognised as a celebrity back in Helsinki to elicit: “ I’m a very different person from who I was when I was 18-years-old. That’s a good thing.” Howe come? “Well I’m not a bitter person and people change always. Sure, people know who I am.” That’s an odd response. What happened to make you bitter? “I was just fucked in the head when I was younger, really bad. I’m feeling OK nowadays, I’m not depressed or feeling suicidal but that’s how I used to be. I’m on much better terms with my parents and my sister. At least now I’ve done something that my parents can be proud of.”
Therein lies the soul of Laiho’s ambition-not fame, or fortune, or…OK he wants those things too, but as he describes, it’s an overriding sense of guilt over his past difficulties that motivates him to try as hard as he does. As he confesses: “ I still feel like I need to pay them back because I was such a fucking asshole to them. Just causing a lot of grief and shit. That happens to a lot of people.” So what, you were rebellious? “Uh no,” he says, looking slightly embarrassed at the suggestion. “I had more than the usual negative outlook. I was cutting myself every night,” he says with the kind of casualness with which most people would reveal they once had a mullet. He’s fumbling with his bracelets again, where scars-the kind cut so deep they protrude from your skin like dried wax- blanket his left arm and give the bracelets something to slide less smoothly on. “Really it was a long time ago but the scars are still there. It’s a shitty thing to do, because your Mom’s worrying about you and you just flip her off and say ‘fuck everything’ and start cutting yourself. It’s just a shitty thing to do. What happened? “A lot of shit. It was just trouble,” he says perhaps wanting to avoid specifics or the reopening of old wounds. “One thing just leads to another, and shit just started happening and it was one of those situations where you either get better or you don’t. I still get angry but I’m not cutting anymore. I got put in a hospital a few times, and one time I just decided that I never wanted to feel that way again. It took awhile, but it’s the sort of thing where you just have to want to get better. You just dwell on some things and you just make it a lot worse, but you get inspiration from it too. It’s the music that got me through.”
And with that he’s off to play another night at yet another Wacken festival. The band he formed in 1993 will go down a storm, but if he sweats a little harder and seems a little more determined to summon horns from the crowd, then it’s fair to say he has good reason to, because Alexi Laiho doesn’t owe the fans but the music itself for the fact that he’s still around today. The smile on his face as he strides off into the crowd for a pre-gig warm-up says that he doesn’t mind working hard one bit.

@Saartje:
Thank you so much for this interview, Saartje! :)
It was very interesting, it tells lots of things that Alexi had never told before... really clarifing, about some matters.

"...I still get angry but I’m not cutting anymore. I got put in a hospital a few times, and one time I just decided that I never wanted to feel that way again. It took awhile, but it’s the sort of thing where you just have to want to get better. You just dwell on some things and you just make it a lot worse, but you get inspiration from it too. It’s the music that got me through.” A. Laiho

Yeah, music can be the best medicine... it's the same thing for me too... music prompts me to carry on when it all seems going down.

So his bracelets cover up his self harm scars...I see.

Well someone link Lady Laiho to this interview if she ever comes back because it says something about his girlfriend. :lol:

Yes, his bracelets have a deeper meaning than we all could believe, yeah... it's gloomy, but if now he's fine, that's less sad.

Indeed I think that, in their present music, it's more than evident that their young struggle is less angry and painful... :)

Well someone link Lady Laiho to this interview if she ever comes back because it says something about his girlfriend. :lol:

That's what I forgot to say!! But at least you did it, thanks...