COB Interviews

translation of the Metal Hammer interview:

With RELENTLESS REKLESS FOREVER CHILDREN OF BODOM will release their seventh regular studio album. Despite musical molts the Finnish troops around singer and guitar wizard Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho have always remained on the road to victory.
METAL HAMMER researched after the recipe for success in a detailed interview.

The dialog partners couldn't be more opposed : on the one hand, Alexi Laiho calls from Los Angeles. The front man is always a bit covered and remains in a certain distance with his ironic
nature. At the other end of the line the thoughtful bassist Henkka "Blacksmith" Seppäla calls in from Helsinki and grants a thoughtfully and emotional insight. In contrast to the audition in London Alexi acts any time wide awake in this conversation. "I was completely finished in London" , admits the singer and guitarist. "Behind me were five months of hard work without any interruption, and before that we were on tour for three months. Then there was the jetlag. But now I'm in Los Angeles again."

At first glance, it's strange when a Finn moves to the crazy and very superficial U.S.-metropolis. But Alexi points out that it is not only Hollywood, the Sunset Strip and the Rainbow Bar and the Whisky A Go Go. But the places he listed are the reason for the dense rock star population of the city, to which the blonde guitarist in turn not only visually, but also with his relaxed attitude and legendary drinking ability fits in perfectly. "Of course, I hang out there with friends too," the Finn smiles. "But the most relevant reason for moving to L.A is my girlfriend." Hard to believe, but in the party animal suggests a romantic streak. The band doesn't seem to have a problem with this. "If we need Alexi in Finland, he is immediately here," Henkka says. "He spents half the year in Helsinki anyway.” The risk that the surprisingly modest and always friendly Alexis ego swells to Axl Rose Memorial dimensions tends ,in spite of his regular dose of Hollywood, to zero. The word "Rock Star" fits to the Finn in its positive meaning: On stage and in life, he acts at all times larger than his body length should allow. its Besides his charisma dominated the guitarist and his instrument with exceptional virtuosity. As a solo artist Alexi is quite alone in his generation: Today solos are frowned upon, and the times in which guitar players were the big numbers seem over.
At least since the grunge movement in the nineties new styles of hard Guitar music usually develop without a guitar wizard . Sometimes the electric instrument is even degraded to a banal crashing rhythm generator. "Guitar heroes are somehow out of fashion," nods Alexi and points out. "There are, even in my generation, many excellent guitarists: Right away Gus G comes to my mind, who is now playing with Ozzy Osbourne. But in the end I don't care what people think of me. I just do what I do best." He adds in a mumbled sentence that he sometimes enjoys to show off a bit with his playing.

While the guitar heroes in the musical development were recently pushed to the edge, their appeal remains unrelieved . The myth of these legends apparently inspired a well-known console game. Some, however, seem to not be able to differ between game and reality. Alexi also has a story about that: together with other Finnish guitarist, he was invited to the release-party for the second part of that game. Of course, Alexi needs to be there to compete with his colleagues on the plastic buttons and manages to end up on the last place. A radio reporter at once keeps him a microphone under the nose and disparaging remarks that he seems not to be a good guitar player. "I just replied: Lady, give me a real guitar and I'll show you," Alexi laughs. “The video game is great, although I myself act really bad. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the sense of a real musical instrument." The truism has hit the nail with the enhancement of feeling on the head. For Alexi the technique is only used to express boundless. His distinctive magic guitar playing influenced Children Of Bodom lasting. "I was initially not a fan of guitar picking," Henkka laughs. "But in this band you have no other choice than appreciate the solos. They make up a large part of our sound. But a solo has to be really good. Out there there's too much bullshit from wannabe-heroes. Alexi has that certain something." So one ingredient for the success of the Finns is detected: the solos. It is striking that the guitar and keyboard solos and melodies on RELENTLESS RECKLESS FOREVER have more free space, in contrast to the brutal predecessors
Are You Dead Yet? and Blooddrunk. “On the new album, the guitars come back more in the classic sense of importance,"Alexi declares. ,,It has a much greater proportion of Judas Priest than Slipknot. Janne has also recorded his best solos ever on the new album." Keyboardist Janne“Warman " Wirman was already extremely pleased with his recaptured free space at the audition in London. And the key man is not alone with his happines:"I'm glad that these epic melodies, I missed on our last two albums, have returned," Henkka says. "We had no plan, as usual, but when all the songs were finished, I realized that it sounded like before (before AYDY) from the feeling." "Our evolution is quite natural," Alexi adds. "We never set out beforehand and talk about in which direction a new album should go. Too much planning is boring.It works better spontaneous.” Henkka explains the normal operation for a new COB album: After the last tour for their particular album Alexi composes all the melody lines and riffs but no complete songs. Then the whole group works together on his ideas and arrangements. "But there is a lot of trouble too," the bassis lets us know. “Which always rotate around the same old themes: One wants to try this, the other whants to change that, until someone is freaking out. But at the end the pieces fit together like a puzzle."

Despite the success of their method, the band chose a fresh approach for their seventh regular studio album. "We had less time for the recordings and wanted to work more efficiently," Alexi says. “After some discussion we finally agreed to work with a producer for the first time in our history." The choice is Matt Hyde: He worked for bands like Slayer, Hatebreed, Monster Magnet and The 69 Eyes before. "At first it felt strange," Henkka says. "But we needed a change from the old ways. Matt proved to be not only a master of his work, but also a very nice fellow. "In the phase of getting to know the Finns an icelandic volcano came to the aid. Because of ash clouds hanging over Europe Matt Hyde had to stay there for nearly two weeks. "We have taken him in our rehearsal room where Matt was able to quickly familiarize himself with the details," the bass player is happy about this blessing in disguise. "Later in the studio he was very familiar with our new songs. Matt also came up with some interesting suggestions." The fundamental openness to new concepts and methods is also one of the spicy ingredients of Children Of Bodom. Henkka is even a step further: "We are aware of any risk.For us its important to listen only to our own voice and make it our own way." As an example he mentions the debut album SOMETHING WILD (1997). The band was first sitting between the chairs with their idiosyncratic mix of styles. "We liked Darkthrone but also Yngwie Malmsteen," Henkka says. "We fell on deaf ears at the record companies. We were told continually that we should look for someone with a clear voice like Michael Kiske. We didn't want to do it."
Their stubbornness pays off. Their continued worldwide success is just as right as the many imitators. In addition to their outstanding technical skills and the courage to take risks, Children Of Bodom have another positive feature that they unfortunately don't share with many bands: humor. Both personally and in their songs you can find much self-irony and humor. "We is Finns are blessed with black humor,"Alexi says. "It is unhealthy, if you take yourself too serious." This relaxed attitude is particularly evident in the song titles that seem to be inclined with each album. "Alexis ideas let us smile" Henkka smiles. "In the beginning a title like" Bodom Beach Terror "was a bit weird, but now we don't even notice something like this." One of these songs on RELENTLESS RECKLESS FOREVER is called 'Pussyfoot Miss Suicide'. "In my youth I had to witness, unfortunately,how someone wanted to cut his wrists with a cheese slicer," Alexi says. “This sight hurted me in every way. But Ultimately, this Song is inspired by several people that only want to get some attention with their dramatic performances." Also 'Shovel Knockout" is to understand clearly sarcastic: It handles the singer's own experience that he has sometimes employed rarely stupid to impress someone else. "I was so ashamed that I'd like to get beaten in the face with a shovel", he adds, laughing. A feeling that he probably shares with most people on this planet. Bottom you can find all the ingredients, that make the sound of Children Of Bodom so süecial, on RELENTLESS RECKLESS FOREVER. Wild duels between guitars and keyboards, wide melodies and healthy hardness, but also musical gravity and wonderful black humor "This album can be defined as a sum of our experiences," Henkka ends the conversation." We are indeed far away from our debut, but finally we don't want to go back there. Some of the old spirit still lies in our new songs, as well as anything that was added in the last years.We have fun with it, and hopefully our friends as well." That is what it's all about even in heavy music: entertainment. And with this Children Of Bodom please their fans for 18 years now.

maybe I translate the other interview later

Rock Hard interview translation:

Children of Bodom remain the exceptions. No other band combines classic metal and hard rock, elegant thrash, modern brutality and technical finesse so sovereign - and garnished with antisocial cheeky brat behavior . The Finns make a consensus-act, is storming the worlds charts, but also become the targets of some purists. "Relentless Reckless Forever" will not change that, however, proves that they're right with their stubbornness.

The seventh studio album is convincing in every aspect. COB haven't elicited all facets of their self-created drawer yet. “Relentless Reckless Forever"shows again a little bigger penchant for melody, without, however, land into the cheese-metal case, where some of their various Scandinavian colleagues cavort. The material battles of the both world-class guitarists (band boss Alexi Laiho and the chronically undervalued daredevil Roope Latvala) and keyboardist Janne Wirman are progressive in the classic sense. And although Alexis vocals limits the band, they are simply an important part of COB. Laiho is 31 years old now and has a bit more mature than some years ago. Or a few weeks ago. But he is still not predictable. We didn't get much information in the interview at the London listening session (see studio report in last issue). Alexi could hardly keep his eyes open, mumbled to himself and lost the thread after every second sentence. This has certainly entertainment value, on the other hand it seems the life in the fast lane isn't so good for him permanently . "I remember," he starts our second interview about the new album. "I am really sorry about my behavior." Your colleague Janne was very amused about it. (He laughs a little cynical: ) "And to make jokes about me, we finally have Janne, right?"

Could it be that you have too much work? You are COBs composer and figurehead in one person.
"That's right. I was just burned out. I really work nonstop, seven days a week. In March, I began to write the new songs. It was followed by the samples and the album production, interrupted by various summer festivals. Then the video shoot, the promoters, the constant touring. I wasn't at home for ages. I was totally done. And to be honest, I was totally drunk at our last interview( laughs again)."

Are you trying at least, to leave the whole business-stuff which is very important for professional bands,to others?
"Yes, I'm just a musician. The business isn't that interesting for me. Of course there is an intersection . The endorsement site is appealing to me, I watch, however, and don't let me fob off some crappy guitars. I am still using the same ESP equipment that I had when I was 18 years old. I do not play for money, for free equipment or whatever, but because I love the stuff. But this is already the only business aspect to which I concentrate on."

Therefore, it was your management that came up with the idea to get a producer for “Relentless Reckless Forever"
"That is correct. Equally true is that we were not particularly thrilled about the idea, because we know now how to make an album. Why should we spend a shitload of money for someone who ultimately does nothing other than what we can do ourself? But we have given in and we sat down with eight candidates. Matt was perfect. He showed the greatest enthusiasm. You could believe him that he wanted to do the best COB album. But even apart from the jostling of our management, it was maybe good, after so many years to try something different, to bring in a new flavor, without changing the basic ingredients. “Re1entless Reckless Forever"has my absolute favorite guitar sound. It kicks your ass, it's sharp, well defined, but also heavy and chunky. It went great."

It is bizarre that many bands today just hammer out relatively expensive productions with a natural sound, while the cheap shots are often completely over-produced and sterile.
"It should really be the other way around, but you're right."

The first single, 'Was It Worth It? " is marketed as a party anthem, what in my opinion doesn't fit the song. There are other bands from Finland that are more responsible for such things.
"I have called the song a party song and finally wrote it (laughs). But probably I can not really judge yet. In any case, it is quite heavy and by no means pop. The chorus has something of Irish booze-music, that's what I mean by party. But thus we don't sound like a clap along song by Andrew W.K or something."

Is' Was It Worth It? The simplest and catchy, what you want to write for COB? Somehow I feel that in you as a songwriter entirely dormants one or the other hit single, but you'd think it's uncool to allow it out.
“A track can be good and catchy. But I don't like songs that are only catchy, if you know what I mean. Extremely catchy, comprehensible pieces are quickly and painfully uninteresting. Dude, listen to all the shit on MTV. Now and then a successful idea flashes up, but overall this is just bullshit. For me, a song has to contain many ideas. Even though I really don't like the word: it has to be progressive, it should challenge , but not overcharge you. Finally, I don't make my music for other musicians."

You always connected traditional seventies-Hard Rock with an aggressive modernity. Thus you have created your own niche, there are indeed some people with blinders that look askance at you, but you also attract a complex crowd.
"That's what we want. We're doing this for a while already and we're constantly touring our asses off. We play with bands of various styles and are faced with completely different fans. And it works. It was the only way that even a pro skaters like Chris Cole passes on COB and now plays in the 'Was It Worth It?' video."

Does the album title "Relentless Reckless Forever" describe your personality?
"Absolutely. It also fits well with the whole band, our attitude and our musical direction. We simply show no mercy to what we do. If you have a problem with it, fuck yourself. This is the best translation for the title (laughs)."

You are known for other types of compromise. You're breaking e.g. your bones.
(He laughs again: ) "Unfortunately . But lately I became more careful. I used to do a lot of shit and was constantly injured. I didn't care if here and there one of my bones was broken. But that is no longer fun (laughs again). The last accident was at least one and a half years ago."

Could it be that you calmed down a bit because you're older now?
"I hope so. I still like to drink and party often, but maybe I'm getting closer to a normal level and I'm not so excessive anymore. "

Are you the Nihilist in 'Cry Of The Nihilist'?
"The song contains a lot of black humor. Actually I make jokes about peoplea who see themselves as nihilists. The song uses several quotes from, "The Big Lebowski." I love the movie. So thats where the idea came from. "

During the listening session in London you have tried to explain to me what the mystery titled 'North Pole Throwdown' is about, but you somehow went off the subject.
"I wanted to compose something that has a thrash metal and punk rock vibe. The text is about our first European tour with Hypocrisy and Covenant. Benediction was actually the headliner, but we just partied with the other Scandinavian bands. I was 18 and just wanted to drink and go crazy. This was a great time. "

In London you have told me a story about a girl.
"Nonsense. Why should I call a song about a girl 'North Pole Throwdown'? "

No idea, maybe you threw a hot girl to the mat at the North Pole.
(laughs) "No, not that I know of."

But 'Miss Pussy Foot Suicide' is still about a girl.
Yes

... That is threatening to kill herself so that she gets attention from the people.
"Yes."

When you were younger, you harmed yourself too.
"This was fortunately a long time ago. My complaint was then not primarily a question of getting attention. I just had experience physical pain to feel myself. It's hard to describe. When you're hurt mentally, you feel physically better if you inflict pain to yourself. But looking back I probably wanted that one cares more about me."

How did you keep afloat, before you became a professional musician? Somehow one can't imagine Alexi Laiho behind a supermarket checkout or as a plumber.
"Of course I had jobs. I'm not a lazy bum. I started to work when I was 17 and plowed until enough money came in by COB. I worked in construction for two years, and for a while in a warehouse. I've also been doing casual work in telemarketing, but that was the largest shit that ever happened to me. The band was the ability to leave all this behind me. I didn't want to go back, but remain forever on tour. Somehow there was a time in my life where I never came home. Even if I was not on tour, I stayed somewhere else, waiting for the next activities with the band. Now I know there is more to appreciate, to have time for me and sometimes spend some time at home. It was different, but now I'm really happy when I'm at home and can sleep for two weeks (laughs). However, I belong on the road. This is my destiny. "

Alexi Laiho said:
"I've also been doing casual work in telemarketing, but that was the largest shit that ever happened to me."

The most under-valued job ever. Done fuckloads of it in the past. I think any good tele-marketer deserves three times more credit and salary than s/he's having. Dealing with dumbass people in the phone - who think you are the dumbass because you're the telemarketer - is not a nice job.

I'm sorry Joonas, but it's a job based on bothering people over the phone to try and sell them something they didn't ask for while getting into their private lives, not to mention that they didn't give you their number at any point. Telemarketing is a pain in the ass, sorry if you did it and feel otherwise, but us (unwilling and not knowing) "clients" don't like it.

I still see nightmares of those days several years ago. The problem is most of the time they're not trying to sell you anything but to find a way to save money, yet clients think they try to take your money and it's kind of tricky. They're not all stupid or pathetic people just because they call you which naturally is angering and a breach of privacy, but you know students and whatelse also need money for living. Even Alexi once did it so he could buy booze and guitar strings. On the other hand I can't understand young people who keep doing that for years and don't go studying a profession. Most youngsters need to kickstart their adult life with a short-time job, but you're not supposed to do it for ever. And I've incorporated a ban for direct marketing to my connection, as should anyone who doesn't want calls from strangers.

The most under-valued job ever. Done fuckloads of it in the past. I think any good tele-marketer deserves three times more credit and salary than s/he's having. Dealing with dumbass people in the phone - who think you are the dumbass because you're the telemarketer - is not a nice job.

+++111!!!

Interesting discussion. And you´re so absolutly right, Joonas. It´s one of the worst jobs I ever did.
I´m happy for you, that you´re living in a country, where young people seem to have a chance to move on - away from this job to a study. Over here it´s all a matter of money. And most of the young telemarketingpeeps haven´t the chance to get out, to go somewhere else. No better jobs are offered and no money for a study.

enough offtopic

I'll start on translating the Henkka interview; should be done some time tonight or tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Here's the first half. The rest will come some time tomorrow.

Children of Bodom Interview (February 2011)
Skating or making music: That is the question!

The mixture Children of Bodom are playing had not been around in that fashion in the metal world when the fond of tippling quartet started its career: thrashy riffing, fast as an arrow, meets classic, traditional Hard Rock or Heavy Metal à la Ozzy Osbourne (one of the biggest heroes of the Finns), combined with spectacular Solo-duels of guitar and keyboard and the hoarse croaking of front man and sole composer Alexi Laiho. Critics like to sneer at the allegedly cheesy sound of the keyboard and Alexi’s only slightly variable Vocals, but this is, after all, a trademark of the band that makes it so unique – even if there are acts by now that use a similar body of sound, for example: Wintersun.

Their success, however, proves Children of Bodom right and the seventh regular album “Relentless Reckless Forever”, in stores on March 4th, is also going to score a strike After the first cancelled interview, we managed to wheedle some information out of bassist Henkka Seppälä – which turned out to be no easy undertaking at some points because the bassist seemed somewhat sedated by the unusual time: 9:30 in the morning.

The-Pit.de: Hey, this is David from The-pit.de How are you doing?
Henkka: I’m good thank you. We have a severe winter here.
The-Pit.de: So that’s why the landlines broke down – or what was going on during the first attempt?
Henkka: No, last time, I was in California. I would have had a flight from L.A., was in San Diego in the morning and wanted to go by train from there to catch my flight, but because it had been raining for a whole week the trains were delayed. So I spent all day arranging a way of getting to L.A.
The-Pit.de: Ah, okay. Luckily it worked out this time. For starters: You joined Children of Bodom in 1995 – what would you have said if someone had told you back then that the band would be this successful? Would you have believed it?
Henkka: No, I naturally would never have believed that.
The-Pit.de: I read that “Relentless Reckless Forever” will only be released in March – why then is all of the promotion, interviews, etc. already underway now? After all, it’s still two months (A/N: The interview was conducted in early January).
Henkka (laughing): Ask the label. They probably wanted to allow themselves time; we’re only responsible for the music, for the art, the rest is decided by the label.
The-Pit.de: I’ve listened to the album a couple of times now and I think, even though the typical Bodom trademarks are present, it’s somehow different. At one point I think it’s more melodic, then again, I’m thinking it’s more mid-tempo, but I’m never really sure. What do you think are the differences to the previous release?
Henkka: I think exactly the same. (laughs) Exactly – I think it’s somehow different, but I can’t really say what it is either. Of course, the sound is different because other people were involved in the recording, mixing and mastering, but when it comes to the musical aspects, I don’t really know what’s different.
The-Pit.de: Additionally, I realized that there is no title carrying the word “Bodom” this time. Did you do that on purpose or was it pure chance?
Henkka: That was pure chance. I also only realized it as all titles were fixed and said: “Oh, there’s something missing” and Alexi said: “Yeah, it just did not happen.”
The-Pit.de: When it comes to the fact that different people were involved this time: First and foremost you changed the producer, this time, Matt Hyde was responsible for that job, before it was Mikko Karmila three times in a row. How did the change come about and what’s different because of it? After all, Matt Hyde is a big name in the music business.
Henkka: Well, Mikko was never really a Producer, but just the guy who’s recording, who was pressing a button and then let us record the stuff. But this time we wanted somebody who joined in on the process of songwriting. So we got Matt Hyde, a really nice guy, with whom you can work really well and he came to Finland about a year ago, last March. I think he actually was only here because of the Icelandic volcano (laughs), he was stuck here for two weeks, listened to us rehearsing and gave us his opinion on our music on this occasion. And when we went into the studio he already knew all of our songs – that’s probably the biggest difference to before.
The-Pit.de: For the video to “Was it Worth it” you worked together with several skateboarders. Are you skating?
Henkka: No. I do have a longboard, but I just don’t manage to do the tricks. (laughs)
The-Pit.de: Alexi is probably more the skater-guy.
Henkka: Yeah, he was a really good skater, but when you start making music, it’s a little dangerous of course.
The-Pit.de: He broke several bones anyway when he was drunk.
Henkka: Right. That might even be more fatal when skateboarding is involved.
The-Pit.de: It’s commonly known that you’re lyrics don’t mean anything, and that they are – according to your one statement – just bullshit. Is that still the case? Because, when I saw a title like “Cry of the Nihilist”, I thought it’s either a reference to Black Metal, or it refers to the guy from “The Big Lebowski”.
Henkka: It refers to “The Big Lebowski”. (laughs)
The-Pit.de: At some of your concerts I noticed that you use something from “The Big Lebowski” as intro, the Bob Dylan song “The Man In Me”, that occurs in the film as well.
Henkka: That’s true; it really is a very important movie.
The-Pit.de: I think it’s a great movie as well, horribly cool and funny – recently, you recorded a cover album “Skeletons in the Closet” are there any covers this times around?
Henkka: We only recorded on cover this time, but I don’t know when or how it will be released.
The-Pit.de: So you can’t say if it will be on some kind of Special Edition or something?
Henkka: It’s probably going to be on something like that, I just don’t know what Edition it will be.
The-Pit.de: It says on Wikipedia that it is a song by Eddie Murphy. I didn’t even know that that guy was singing.
Henkka: I think he recorded (thinks) – I don’t know how many albums he recorded, may be one. (A/N: It’s five!)